back to article Internet gossip has NOWT to do with data protection, EU Commish

Europe’s new data chief has taken a leaf out of fellow European Commissioner “H Dot” Oettinger’s book, delivering a cast-iron “no shit, Sherlock” statement about things people write online. The EU’s new Justice Commissioner Vera Jourova was speaking ahead of a meeting of all the EU’s justice ministers about data protection …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did I miss something?

"The so-called right to be forgotten, which has been in the spotlight since a European Court of Justice ruling in May, has nothing to do with false information – it relates only to outdated or irrelevant, but perfectly accurate, data"....

I know it's a cold Thursday afternoon and my neurons might be slightly frozen but it seems to me that

Ms Jourova's example is exactly what the "right to be forgotten" is all about. Whether the accusations of bribery were justified or not, they are now tarnishes in her past that - as a private citizen - she would love to see "forgotten".

Ahem....

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: Did I miss something?

AIUI, the article correctly describes the right you've got that is being labelled the "right to be forgotten". Read the ruling for yourself. The problem was Google was giving disproportionate prominence to old information.

2. disgruntled yank

internet

Apparently you do not regard "internet" as substitutable for "web". What about the expression "internet meme"? I don't much care for it, but I don't remember The Register complaining about it.

1. VinceH

Re: internet

Agreed.

If anything, use of "internet" when referring to the web isn't necessarily wrong, since the "web" is "on the internet". What would be wrong is using "web" to refer to other things, such as usenet1 - and that's not what she did.

1. Web-based interfaces, such as Google's currently abominable replacement for Deja News, aside

3. Mark 85

Tip of the iceberg...

From her comments about her "right to be forgotten" and use of "internet" as well as her previous statements, this is indeed troubling. But it does seem to be the norm that people are put in charge of stuff that they haven't a clue about . One would think that technical expertise would be better than political connections.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Tip of the iceberg...

You might think so (but politicians don't) - and I can't possibly comment.

Anyway once retired you are quickly forgotten

4. Sorry, handle already taken

Nothing constructive to add other than that the dark haired lady in the articles photo is quite hot :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like