back to article 4.2 is the answer to life, the universe and the Internet of Everything

The Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) has signed off on version 4.2 of the Bluetooth core specification, and Internet of Stuff proponents will enjoy the fine print. The headline item for punters in the enhanced spec is speed, but the detailed spec for protocol seems not to detail increased bitrates. What has been …

1. James Anderson

Can you use bluetooth and Wi-Fi at the same time then?

Perhaps they could also get it to work in the vicinity of a Wi-Fi connection.

1. choleric

Re: Can you use bluetooth and Wi-Fi at the same time then?

WiFi is not very low power, which is what the latest Bluetooth versions have particularly been driving at.

The obvious way of dealing with this is to have a powered Bluetooth<->WiFi or Bluetooth<->Ethernet/whatever bridge somewhere on the local Bluetooth network to route global IPv6 (after firewalling safely of course!).

2. illiad

Why not just get two wifi cards???

On modern smart-phones, bluetooth **IS** Wi-Fi, it just has a different way of 'logging on'...

blue tooth is short range, only two or three feet.. that's a *security* feature, do you want someone from across the street looking in??? The new spec is meant for faster more reliable use of short range devices like cameras, TVs, in your home or business..

Wi-Fi has much longer range (50 to 100 Metres or more), power and speed( soon to be 100Mb/s or more!) is easy to 'set and forget' so almost every pub and club has it...

1. James Anderson

The point is existing blue tooth devices stop working whenever there is any wi-fi activity in the vicinity.

Why do you think logitek et all use there own protocols for mice etc. It's because blue tooth just dods not work well enough.

1. Yugguy

I've found on both my old Samsung S3 mine and my new Xperia Z3 Compact that bluetooth can span as far as the wireless can. If I switch on the Parrot in my car on the drivce and then take the phone in the house the connection is maintained.

1. illiad

I think you may find you are using S-beam or similar.. Btooth is only used to sign on, if more power is needed, it transfers to wifi..

Its ALL wireless, just different protocols - samsung mixes them up to get the best way to connect..

2. NotWorkAdmin

Re: only two or three feet..

My BT headset advertises 7m. I've walked out of my office, downstairs, through the downstairs office and well into our warehouse and it's still connected. A distance of well over 30m and through 1 floor and 3 walls.

1. illiad

Re: only two or three feet..

headsets dont need much... now try switching off Btooth at that distance, and then trying to connect again! :)

Now try sending a file by btooth at that distance, If you can get paired... :/

2. J. R. Hartley

DESGRASE

Please, for the love of God, have a read over your articles before you publish them -_-

1. Wade Burchette
      Joke

Re: DESGRASE

Me fail English? That's unpossible!

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Internet of Stuff

Good name. That's what they can do with it.

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Stop

A warning from the future...

You're on the train. It's 6:02 am. You're making your bleary-eyed way in to work. You turn on your phone, and bung some music to your bluetooth headphones, and lean back for a bit of relaxation before the day kicks off.

Your bluetooth headlines have received a software update, says an un-earthly robotic voice in your ear. Followed by several beeps and a few reboots. No music. Just the sound of papers shuffling and the train rattling.

Suddenly your music comes on. And you lean back in your seat, the day going OK now. You got a seat. The gentle sound of relaxing jazz soothes you.

Suddenly, in a very loud voice! SONY HEADPHONES ARE THE BEST HEADPHONES! WHY NOT GO ONLINE TODAY TO SEE HOW YOU COULD UPGRADE TO OUR LATEST MODEL? OR NOW THAT YOU'RE HAPPY WITH OUR PORTABLE BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES, WHY NOT TRY OUT OUR SURROUNDSOUND HD AUDIO AUDIOPHILE CLASSICS AT HOME? FOR A SPEICAL PRICE OF ONLY £399!!!"

Aarrgh! What was that? The jazz cuts back in. Peace. Did you dream that? Should you have eaten that cheese last night?

Beep! "Software update!" Says an unearthly electronic voice in your ear. Without further ado your headphones reboot themselves. Again you listen to the sounds of the train. Waiting for your music to come back.

You glance at your mobile phone. It's 6:21 now. The track you are listening to is displayed under the clock, you have listened to 23 seconds of it so far.

Beep. Your headphones are updated. The soothing sounds waft back into your ears, calming the momentary flaring of anger.

Beep! "HAHAHAHAHAHA! LOSER! YOUR SONY HEADPHONES HAVE BEEN HACKED BY THE 4NTI-S0NY-CRU! WE HATE SONY! YOU ARE A LOSER FOR USING SONY. YOU HAVE BEEN HEADPWNED. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

...When the train arrived at the station, British Transport Police were alerted by screaming passengers to the carnage inside. Tne people bludgeoned to death in a blood-spattered frenzy. An orgy of violence. The killer was apprehended immediately. A blood-soaked wretch found sobbing in the corner of the carriage. His mind gone - a lifetime at Broadmoor awaiting him. But they were unable to find the murder weapon. Until one pathologist had an idea and was able to grasp the significance of the unusual and tiny grains of plastic found embedded in all the victims. After months of painstaking work, he was able to piece together the remains of some earphones. The case remains unexplained to this day...

1. illiad

Re: A warning from the future...

... and thats the reason I always switch ALL updates everywhere OFF!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like