back to article GOOAALLL! Back of the net! 'Millions of dollars' score .football gTLD

The top-level domain name .football has been auctioned off for, what's expected to be, millions of dollars to upstart registry Donuts. Domain names using the beautiful game's dot-word will be available some time in the new year, along with names ending in .news, .golf, .school and .latino, all of which were snapped in private …

1. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Eh?

Apart from the pointless bit of this....the losers get a share of the pot? Based on what?

If I'd put a bid in for the names for a quid each, would I have walked of with 4.4 million?

2. Khaptain Silver badge

.com is still the high value gtld

It's hard to imagine why there will be any winners. The more gTlds that exist, the further the markets are divided into niches and hence lowers inherent value.

What's next .footballleague1, .footballleague2, .footballleague3 etc

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: .com is still the high value gtld

I'm the lawyer from ICANN and my clients demand you hand back next years business plans!

2. Michael Habel

Re: .com is still the high value gtld

It's hard to imagine why there will be any winners. The more gTlds that exist, the further the markets are divided into niches and hence lowers inherent value.

Your missing the point here. It's not about ".footballleague1" etc... Its about classifying Content so the ISPs can twerk the Wibbles like a huge Cable Box... e.g. "sky.footballleague1" will cost you x£'s a Month. While sky.footballleague2, and 3 will cost you an additional y£'s more a Month.

Really though I never knew there was so much confusion in the World to warrent this action... 'Cause .com (or .co.*), was just sooo hard to work out... along with *.org, *.net and *.edu...

3. frank ly

Dotty nomenclature

"dot-rodeo, dot-vodka", " .news, .golf", "dot-spot addresses"

How about .consistent and .convention?

(I remember when Star Wars was released and journalists wrote about those lovable characters called 'Artoodeetoo' and 'Seethreepio'. How I laughed.)

4. James Micallef Silver badge

Starting to make sense...

At first when I came across the concept of these global TLDs I was thinking whaaat? Why do we need them? Things work fine as they are.

But since then it has become more and more common for countries to do jurisdictional land-grabs over the internet. The current system, while it works well, solidifies into place the 'old' system of each country having it's own bit, which just leads to countries fighting over teh bits in between. I believe the Internet should be moving us towards a more integrated and borderless world, and having the internet structured by subject domain as well as by country can only be a good thing. Functionally, the existing country domains will still work, so we're not losing anything we already have.

And if some people / companies want to spend millions to register specific domains, well it's their money. I'm not going to visit a site any more or any less if it's FIFA.com or FIFA.football, that will depend on site content not site address.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just ignore them

That's all.

6. Peter Simpson 1
    Happy

.football

Cue thousands of confused American fans unable to find their favorite teams' websites.

1. Michael Habel

Re: .football

Cue thousands of confused American fans unable to find their favorite teams' websites.

Simples *.americanfootball ... Or .handegg - (So tempted to end it with a ".com") lol

2. Just Enough
      Meh

Considering Donuts is an American company, I suspect that it'll not be American football fans that are confused. If any.

1. James Micallef Silver badge

No confusion at all - I'm sure donuts will be as willing to sell a .football domain to Real madrid as they are to sell such a domain to Miami dolphins.No-one looks for a website just by the top-level domain!!

It's likely that a football.football (or indeed, football.com) domain will cause confusion, but a (x.football) won't

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh, you mean .SOCCER versus .FOOTBALL. Talk about confused Europeans.....

BTW, the idiots in favor of all these new tlds will soon find out that only an AMERICAN search engine company will be able to sort out what people are looking for, there is no appreciable competitor that can.

Too bad you morons will end up banning Googles actual capabilities.

4. Jellied Eel Silver badge

No, cue letter to NFL asking them for large amounts of money to buy the premium domain, nfl.football

Then followup letter from NFL's lawyers pointing out that if anyone but NFL tries using that domain, donuts would get deep-fried in court. And they'll offer $10/yr for nfl.football and sell miami and dolphins.nfl.football to the club owners for $$$$.

I'm unconvinced many of the new tld owners will ever make their money back given the typical user will just type 'miami dolphins' into their search box and not care about the tld. Or if brand owners will really bother registering their brands given they're protected anyway. Some will no doubt convince themselves, and the Internet has long shown there's money to be made by never underestimating the gullibility of it's users.

7. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Joke

Did-you-see-that-ludicrous-display-last-night (dot football)

The greatest football forum in the web!

8. saundby

And the Companion Site

what-was-walcott-thinking-sending-wenger-on-that-early.football

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon