back to article Double hammer blow to ICANN and pals' internet power grab bid

The controversial NetMundial Initiative (NMI) – an effort by various countries and organizations to steer the internet – may be beyond saving after a second series of rejections. This time it's been snubbed by the business world and the Internet Governance Forum (IGF). The International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) today …

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

It's never enough is it?

No matter how much control these people have (or think they have) they always want more.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Devil

You'd have to have a heart of stone not to laugh...

1. Salts

It has certainly made my day :-)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ICANN't

1. Cipher

ICANN't

@justaKOS

Clever!

Let's just hope the power hungry can't either...

4. Hollerith 1

Written in haste?

Or does nobody proofread before posting?

But this article is very cheering. Those guys give me the creeps.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Written in haste?

No proff reding on the Reg these days dedlines and al thta these dayz.

5. Mark 85

Total Anarchy?

I'll assume that total anarchy is in the offing? The guys in charge are playing the "design by committee so the committee gets the power" game and getting their butts kicked for it.

So more meetings, more power struggle... possibly neverending. This might be a good thing though I think the US Congress will step in and meddle some, pass some decrees on ICANN which will mess things up again. <sigh> And let's not forget the UN trying to take power also. <double sigh>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Total Anarchy?

When the UN, EUC or any of it's supporters do anything, there is always total anarchy. They couldn't agree their way out of a wet paper bag.

6. earl grey
    Trollface

we don't want control

Now queue up over here and bend over.

7. aurizon

Yes, yet another crooked proxy for the UN, where many small countries sell their votes, since the UN = 1 vote for 1 country.

Even a vote by population = fail, as China and India, with their historical homage to Lenin would soon erect all manner of rules (read that as walls) around whatever caught their minds.

We know the UN is just a sinkhole for $$, and does little of value. Similarly, if this ICAAN proposal comes to pass, a new sinkhole would be born, with all manner of fees to be paid - not by the vast populace of voters, but by those that have the vast assembly of dollars - in other words, rob the few to help the many, and the $$ for the many, well, we will hold that for you, we have needy cronies

1. Mike VandeVelde

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon