back to article Speaking in Tech: Android 5.0 Lollipop is a TRAIN WRECK

speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise It's an info-packed episode of El Reg's techcast today, with regular hosts Greg Knieriemen and Sarah Vela joined by ex-VMware bod special guest Dr John Troyer of TechReckoning.com. Ed Saipetch is away this week, but the week in tech still receives a thorough going-over... …

1. Friendly Neighbourhood Coder Dan

Updated my Nexus 4

Battery seems to last longer. Having said that, straight after the update it wasn't possible to use the Contacts, Text and Phone app. Whattsap, which apparently is linked to the Phone one would crash too. No mobile connectivity possible, but WiFi was still working.

A few *basic* things that they didn't bother testing on a nexus 4... Odd!

Factory restore to wipe out all the data, and it's been ok since then.

Hadn't I been a techie I would have just given up, but I'm stubborn and persisted...

1. ChrisPW

Re: Updated my Nexus 4

I updated my Nexus 4, it seems faster, the battery is lasting longer and the only issue I've had was with WIFI that was fixed with a reboot and reconnecting to the network.

Google may have underestimated the dodgy cruft people have gathered since first getting their Nexus 4, I'm increasingly sure that the vast majority of problems can be cleared buy a reset and reinstall of your apps minus the up to 2 years of crud data.

1. jason 7

Yeah I did a OTA install on my Nexus 4 and it went on fine but was a little laggy swiping apps off the screen. Then I remembered to clear the cache and it was fine after that.

Lollipop is fine so far. Only disappointment for me as a N4 user is the Camera API wasn't updated to the latest with RAW capability. Might have helped eke out a little more performance from the camera.

Seems to me Tech Journos really aren't the experts they claim to be and now expect everything to work perfect first time. If you are an expert in IT you know that's not likely. It may take a couple more steps to reach perfection.

From what I remember usually when we get a new OS update we usually get another update in a couple of months or so to clear up the bigger bugs and then that's most of us sorted till next time.

"Wahh wahhh I can't get it to work therefore, it must be useless!"

1. Spiracle

Then I remembered to clear the cache and it was fine after that.

Thank you for reminding me of that, my N4 now is now zipping along like before. I seem to be getting about 25-30% more out of the battery as well, which more than makes up for the few new annoyances that have arrived with Lollipop (what happened to silent mode? It seems that vibrate only is the best I can get now).

1. steogede

@Spiracle

> (what happened to silent mode? It seems that vibrate only is the best I can get now).

1, Press either of the volume buttons.

2. You will see a slider, under which you'll see the words: None, Priority and All

3. Press None or Priority - depending on whether you want to hear priority calls and priority notifications (you can set what is classed as 'priority' elsewhere).

4. Leave 'Indefinite' selected, or choose a time limit.

You will still get visual notifications, but you won't get any sound or vibrate.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

This isn't about tech journos or expertise: By eliminating the default email app, Android/Google is trying to force corporate users to use Gmail. As a consequence, you have to get another email app for the very basic function of using corp email (does iOS do that?). That is not a technology gap, that is a strategy flaw. Everyone seems to agree that notifications are more complicated or non-existent (LED on Nexus 5) with Lollipop. Again, not a technology gap but a strategy flaw.

1. jason 7

Nah...mostly hissy fits.

2. SteveK

By eliminating the default email app, Android/Google is trying to force corporate users to use Gmail. As a consequence, you have to get another email app for the very basic function of using corp email

While I prefer to keep work and home email apart in separate apps and initially saw the elimination of the 'email' app as a problem, actually it seems fine. The 'Gmail' app happily talks to my work Exchange server as well as the old email app did, and still allows individual notifications and sounds for each mailbox, so have not needed to 'get another email app' or be forced to only use Gmail.

So far liking 5.0 on Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 - speed and battery fly (probably due mostly to doing a factory reset to wipe out all the cruft).

2. Stuart 22

Hallelujah Lollipop!

The Nexus 4 was my first 'premium phone' two years ago. It was great. But KitKat broke it. It just became unreliable. I ditched it for a Moto G so I could reliably make PHONE CALLS! (Sorry to be so old fashioned).

The 5.0 OTA transformed it back, no forward, into a smooth silky machine. Not a crash to date - with the same app payload. The only gripe was Google junking the Gallery app with some cloud dependent crud. Re-installed the old Gallery from an apk and so now completely in Android heaven.

The Moto G is sadly silent at the bottom of my man drawer. Maybe when it gets 5.0 OTA I'll look at it again.

3. fishman

5.0 works fine on my Nexus 4, too. I had no problems with wifi or mobile, and I didn't wipe anything, reset anything, or rebooted. Battery life is up - before I'd have 50-60% left at the end of the day, and now I have 70-75%.

2. Gordon 10

Some minor niggles on a Nexus 5 but not a Vista

Mostly App related.

Headphone play button doesn't work the first time the headphone is plugged/unplugged. There's a big thread over the Lollipop bug forum about it.

My weather app no longer displays the temperature at the top of the screen.

They still haven't fixed that bizarre decision that prevents a vibrate "ring tone" when the headphone is plugged in. Thus if you happen to have the phone on vibrate when plugging in a headset you may miss incoming calls.

3. Cosmo

Lollipop - Form over function?

I've put lollipop on my Nexus 7 (2012) and Nexus 4.

The Nexus 7 struggles, but I thought it would. It was struggling with Kit Kat so that's not a surprise. I am bitterly disappointed with some of the design decisions though.

If you just open up your phone / tablet and gaze at it, then Lollipop does look beautiful - but I feel that some of these form factors make actually attempting to use the thing more difficult.

For instance - notifications on the lock screen. They look great and line up perfectly. But if you're using Google Music you can't skip backwards to the start of the track / a previous track anymore. Plus an mentioned in the podcast, you shouldn't need to have an engineering degree to setup your notifications grrrr

1. Tom 35

Re: Lollipop - Form over function?

My Nexus 4 runs fine. A couple of apps needed to be updated but everything I use now works OK.

Don't like the new calender at all.

Notifications are cluttered with too much info, don't need to read the email in the notification.

4. Chavdar Ivanov

On a Nexus 7/2013...

Lollipop is as close to perfection as one can get. No problems whatsoever since upgrade (but then I sideloaded the development preview first, hence the release version was also sideloaded and the possible upgrade problems were avoided).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: On a Nexus 7/2013...

I think most everyone agrees that setting up notifications on Lollipop is much more complicated than before. Unnecessarily so.

1. SteveK

What is the problem with notifications? They seem fine to me. Presumably I'm missing something but it seems to me that: something happens, I get a notification, without needing to fiddle.

I can turn off notifications for certain apps. I have notifications I can pull down and view. I have notifications on the lock screen. I can just see the prioritised (or recent) notifications or double tap to expand the list. I haven't had to change or tweak any of that. What part of notifications does everyone else agree is so complicated, as I'm worried I'm missing out on something...?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You could spend days scrolling through the complaints about Lollipop: https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!categories/nexus

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Not that Google will, pretty sure they won't even read a single posting.

2. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Lollipop is as close to perfection as one can get

I'd say the capability to upgrade without the need to sideload or do a factory reset would get it a little closer to perfection....

5. Gatorpan

Nexus 7 2012 after factory reset

I did factory reset. Slight improvement but now still slow. Almost none functional. I would be happy to go back to KitKat … but I think Lollipop should be fixed. What is 5.0.1? Will that be a solution? I would suggest users put off upgrading until Google figures out the problem.

1. brokensocialsteve

Re: Nexus 7 2012 after factory reset

Try switching to an f2fs version of lollipop http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7/general/lollipop-performance-t2918283/page28 ( you need experience rooting / flashing firmware etc)

Was like night and day for me!

6. Jove Bronze badge

Sounds very like commercial time for the under-employed.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oddly, none of my Android devices have reported an update yet. Not really looking forward to it but curious as to why....

1. jason 7

I had to clear the Google Services framework cache then did a reboot and the update appeared within a few minutes.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nexus 7 2012 (Nakasi) OTA

I ran the OTA on my stock Nexus 7 (2012) tablet & it absolutely crucified it. The word "lag" is a masterful understatement, as most functions just stopped, leaving it dead in the water. I struggled on valiantly for a couple of days before finally admitting defeat & restoring from the full Nandroid Backup I did 10 minutes before I ran the OTA - which put back my fully functioning install of Kitcat 4.4.4...! I'll sit here on Kitcat for a few weeks/months until they fix it & push out a new release of lolipop - then do a factory reset & flash a full image, rather than using an OTA. It looked pretty good, it would just have been nice to have been able to use it to see how it functioned. Hopefully 5.0.1 might be better, although 5.0.2 (whenever they roll it out) will probably be the one that I jump back in with.

9. sleepy

Don't worry, it doesn't matter

99.9% of users aren't using it:

http://t.co/0ega1kMb9V

10. Oninoshiko

Merging Mail and Gmail.

I could deal with it if it actually %@#$ing worked. 2/3s of the time it just gives me a blank screeen with a bar "retrieving your messages" and makes my calender show nothing.

Unless you're using gmail, the gmail.app is crap.

11. Steve Evans

So based on the %age of time spent talking about particular features, a train wreck = I don't like what they did to the email client.

Thank god you didn't notice the change in colour scheme!

I'm running Lollipop on a Nexus 7 2013 and a Nexus 4. Email handled by the gmail, and K9 (for those accounts I just haven't bothered merging), battery life is great on both devices. Couple of niggles, but so minor I won't bother switching back to the nandroid coy of KitKat. I'll give it 8/10.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I see no train wreck....

Merging Gmail and Email.

On Nexus 4, OK, so the UI is different and you may/may not like that. Other than that, I have my corporate (exchange) and private (gmail) email working just fine on Lollipop/Nexus4. Just set up two separate gmail icons on screen, one linking direct to my work email, and the other going to my private gmail account, replacing my old exchange and gmail screen icons. Use it every day, no issues for me.

Only Lollipop issue I'm seeing is that Chrome is a bit unstable now. Hardly a train wreck though....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I see no train wreck....

Browser should work reliably.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Couldn't disagree more

OTA Upgrade on my Nexus 4 was flawless, OS is beautiful and no problems at all. Same with colleagues at work on Nexus 5. N

14. Joe 48

Stunning

I've been running an Alpha release of Cyanogenmod 12 (5.0) on my S5 for a few weeks and I must say It looks stunning.

15. steogede

Just a comment about the Podcast. One of the parties stated that it would be no good for companies which have email retention policies, in order to meet compliance requirements - as Google *could* delete mail without the companies consent. It kind of misses the point that if your an organisation that is required by law to archive emails, surely you put your archiving solution on your server(s), where no-one except specifically authorized individuals have access.

16. Metrognome

Nexus 7 (2012)

So I guess I'm the only one here to have my tab slow down to a crawl.

From tapping settings -> WiFi to actually seeing anything takes anything from 1 to 3 minutes!

Settings in general seems to crawl for some reason or another.

Pity, as the little fella was pretty fast before.

17. Manolo

Updated my Nexus 5

Battery life quite shorter. It is definitely slower. Coming back from an app or the app menu to the home screen, there is considerable lag in building up the screen: first empty, then icons, then widgets. Reformatting the cache partition did not help. Phone app looks garish, like Windows 8. The calendar app is a disaster in UI design. I'm a Nexus user since the Nexus One, so I've had my share of Android updates, but this is the first time I feel an update is not an improvement, neither in UI (subjective) or in performance (objective). I'll be reverting to Kit Kat 4.4.4.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like