back to article Dig into Iron Mountain and you'll find Seagate and EVault

Cloud-based backup, recovery and disaster recovery (DR) services are being offered from an Iron Mountain data dungeon using Seagate kit and EVault software. Seagate is helping Iron Mountain move into the digital storage business again. Autonomy, in pre-HP days, bought the rusty heap's cloud archive storage business in 2011 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1990s on-line backup

I know of an on-line system where the redundant system is also on-line, monitoring the transactions and mirroring the first.

The first system can utterly fail, and the redundant system will actually complete the in-progress transactions, transparent to the users.

It's hand-coded. Been in place for decades.

Intended to have no single point of failures (except 'The Internet' and the user's end).

2. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Underground vaults...

At some point the risk of an underground fire starts to become a greater risk (and thus major consequences) than whatever might be worrying you about the surface of the Earth.

Perhaps their fire protection system is very good. Billions of gallons of water at the ready. Uh oh... Flood.

Being underground addresses some risks, but introduces others.

1. Penfold73

Re: Underground vaults...

I'm not an expert on these things but I don't think water is used for fire suppression in data centres. In the ones I have visited they always use inert or synthetic gas or CO2 based systems which won't damage the equipment

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Underground vaults...

"Being underground addresses some risks, but introduces others."

Zombies. I'd be worried about mutant zombies.

3. Erlang Lacod

frying tonight ?

The only time I contacted Iron Mountain for a quote for tape storage for an SME many years ago they came back with a page of waffle presumably in an attempt to justify the high figure they felt their service warranted. Amongst this was a list of BS and ISO references they complied with. Having a quiet ten minutes at the time I looked these up only to find they related to the safe operation of catering equipment including deep fat friers for mobile catering van use. Strangely enough I never heard from them again when I challenged on this.

Who know what wonders lurk in that strange mountain of iron.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like