back to article RIP Microsoft Clip Art – now you can fill your slides with web cat pics

Anyone who has sat through as many biz presentations as the average Reg hack will have come to loathe clip art – as so many PHBs think adding a few duff images to a boring PowerPoint shows how hip they are with technology. Now Microsoft has announced it's binning the clip art collection at the heart of this mediocrity. And the …

1. Mikel

Showing stuff like this

Well that link was completely useless on my phone. Does Bing even mobile?

1. ashdav
      Joke

Re: Showing stuff like this

Works on my Samsung S2 (Cyanogen Mod).

You obviously have a Windows phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have JavaScript off on my phone (don't trust it) and Google images just about works. Bing does not.

1. Jonathan Richards 1

No JavaScript == No Bing

... which is just fine by me!

Try ixquick which won't try to run code in your browser, and won't track your searches, either.

2. Bitbeisser
      Devil

>Well that link was completely useless on my phone. Does Bing even mobile?

Friends don't let friends use Bing!...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suspect the meeting went like this

Microsoft PHB #1 - The Clip Art collection is not really getting used like it use

Microsoft PHB #2 - We should Google how users are finding their clip art

3. dan1980

I think clip art is a good thing for PowerPoint presentations. Yes, it is almost always utterly naff but it has the benefit of generally reducing the amount of space on the slide that is available to cover in text and bullet points.

In practice, you often just get a fuller page but the urge to add stick figures and handshakes and 8-bit signs and symbols sometimes results in breaking up what would otherwise be a wall of text.

Of course, it would be better if people just designed their slides better in the first place . . .

1. Anonymous Custard

Except you just know instead they'll be replaced by poorly copied/cropped images which also now have strange and mysterious water-marks across them if you look closely enough.

Still I suppose such water-mark spotting and guessing where the images were ripped from could be a whole new PowerPoint game...

4. Mark 85

It's a pity they didn't kill of Powerpoint

Just think of the man-hours that would be saved, first by the PHB's admins creating the stuff and then those that have to sit through 2 hours of slides for what would otherwise be a 10 minute meeting. And think of all the storage space that wouldn't be needed to store old PP slides.

1. wx666z

Re: It's a pity they didn't kill of Powerpoint

So sorry I could only up vote once. And the really useless part is when the presenter provides a printed copy of said slides, which I then have to shred...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's a pity they didn't kill off Powerpoint

If MS killed off Powerpoint, it would leave a Powerpoint-shaped hole in the universe that someone would be unable to resist filling.

See: Death and Taxes.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sounds like a great idea - You should throw a PowerPoint presentation together so upper management can understand the key points {}:>))

4. 's water music

But what would [redacted*] use for project planning?

I cut out the name of the company to protect the guilty but they make over-priced hoovers. I shit you not, they produce their project plans in powerpoint

1. DuncanL

But presumably it works for them - £800 million profit in 2013!

PowerPoint may well be the wrong tool; but sometimes using the "wrong" tool is better in terms of actual results. Have you ever tried to use actual project planning software? An utter nightmare unless you have a degree in project management.

It's the same principle as the reason a vast percentage of businesses run on Excel sheets for everything - it works as far as they need and doesn't have a million features they don't.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Had a manager who would arrange a "free and open discussion" about our problems but would still turn up and have a PowerPoint presentation ready.

For many it seems to be a technology crutch, almost as if they have crap memory.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nah, then we wouldn't be able to enjoy Dave Gorman's Modern Life is Goodish.. that's how to do PowerPoint right!

7. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Slides done well - and yes, it's possible to do them well using Powerpoint, though arguments can be made for other tools - can be very useful and appealing. The problem isn't the tool; it's the people using it, who are generally untrained (and often foolish in the bargain), and don't devote sufficient time to the problem.

Getting rid of slide-presentation applications like Powerpoint wouldn't improve presentations. There are plenty of terrible speakers capable of droning on for a couple of hours without the assistance of visual aids.

5. 420Penguin

Screw the clipart

MS also killed their offline template collection for Office. They all worked really well in Open/LibreOffice too! Now it's Office 365 only.

1. frank ly

Re: Screw the clipart

http://www.hloom.com/microsoft-office-templates

http://templates.libreoffice.org

http://templates.openoffice.org

Any good?

1. 420Penguin

Re: Screw the clipart

The templates from hloom.com are very lively and professional-looking.

Thx

6. T. F. M. Reader
    WTF?

I don't use Bing...

...but I am amazed how pitiful that last link is. A search for a "business cat" that finds no Catbert images???

7. grawity

Apparently they killed the announcement as well, for the blog link 404's now.

8. Tezfair
    Unhappy

Shame

I use that site a lot when i'm producing parish newsletters. No doubt there will be a risk of using copyrighted material by accident.

Maybe I will have to go back to my office 2000 with a cd full of them

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

RIP "screen beans"

YIPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!

11. Terry 6 Silver badge

About time

Dire, glib, pointless, cliche'd, uninmaginative images. Only value was to warn you early on that the whole presentation was going to be even more crap than usual.

12. localzuk Silver badge

Oh God!

Our teachers are going to go mad!

13. John G Imrie

Wasn't the clip art part of the OOXML standard

And having just removed it have they now ensured that they can't follow the standard.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What would you get if you put 'Microsoft Office clip art' into Google images? Still using 2003 (on a VM for safety!) so have the...erm...luxury of using the actual clip art! :)

(if you didn't find it that funny, just imagine Sean Locke saying it!)

15. Graham Triggs

No problem...

I'll just do what I've always done - Google it and then paste the image in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like