back to article Men, Women and Children: Shows how crap the internet is via the medium of crap film

The internet has fundamentally changed the way we interact with one another - but at the same time it, like, hasn't. That seems to be the message behind the cringey and contrived Men, Women and Children. Starring Adam Sandler, Jennifer Garner, Dean Norris, Judy Greer and Rosemarie DeWitt among others, this film is the latest " …

1. Synonymous Howard

"Starring Adam Sandler"

'Nuff said.

1. Efros

Re: "Starring Adam Sandler"

Yep, apart from a couple of anomalies early in his career, his name on a film can almost guarantee shitness.

2. Sandtitz Silver badge

Dang, I was about to post the same thing!

Even Rob Schneider is funnier than Sandler.

1. Tom 7

Tony Blair is funnier than Sandler.

1. Chris G

No Tom. There is nothing funny about Blair, the only difference is if Blair was the ambassador for the world and we launched him into interstellar space to meet and greet other races; I would smile but only because he would be dust before he got anywhere.

Some of Bliar's acheivements: http://www.globalresearch.ca/tony-blair-infanticide-endorser-is-rewarded-by-save-the-children/5415729

2. Mike Flugennock

Hell, Hermann Goering is funnier than Adam Sandler.

3. h4rm0ny

Yes, but Adam Sandler only kills jokes.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Adam Sandler?

Avoid at all costs.

I thank you.

1. cambsukguy

ivanica@ntlworld.com

Will, if you think Zohan wasn't funny I suppose there is no hope for you. It was flawed, as all his movies are I suppose, but there are very funny moments.

Not every movie can be The Imitation Game or Interstellar, sometimes we just need to watch Waterboy or something.

Although, I do watch a lot of movies and I am a bit tolerant of dodgy plots and ridiculous action scenes, wouldn't be able to watch anything these days otherwise, excepting the aforementioned Turing flick and the upcoming Hawking biopic.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: ivanica@ntlworld.com @cambsukguy

Will, if you think Zohan wasn't funny I suppose there is no hope for you. It was flawed, as all his movies are I suppose, but there are very funny moments.

Zohan had funny moments - most comedies have at least one. It still wasn't a good film.

I have much more respect for hie serious films.

"Not every movie can be Interstellar"

Hope so!

"sometimes we just need to watch Waterboy or something."

No. Just...no. Hell no!

Sandler is to me very much like Rupert Pupkin. Except Pupkin wouldn't do fecal jokes.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re:

Adam Sandler is the real life "The Producers" example. Really, look up his tax forms. ;)

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Windows

Re: ivanica@ntlworld.com

wouldn't be able to watch anything these days otherwise, excepting the aforementioned Turing flick and the upcoming Hawking biopic

...about that....

One has to learn to say NO to megaturds flung out of directors' arses (which are then sold to the potential public in hushed tones of reverential awe accompanied to "the music of the feels" because gayness is a touchy-feely subject etc.) See here and in particular:

The Imitation Game: inventing a new slander to insult Alan Turing

and

'The Imitation Game,' or 'How the breaking of the enigma code was kept secret from Winston Fucking Churchill.'

At least the Hawking biopic is acceptable (apparently). If they just cut and pasted the black hole imagery from Less-than-Interstellar over to that, I would be happy.

1. cambsukguy

Re: ivanica@ntlworld.com

I did say I was tolerant of dodgy plots. At least lots more people have now heard of Turing and mostly a positive viewpoint, hell, if Keira Knightly would marry him, he must be okay.

It is all relative, the book is almost always better, give me a good documentary anytime, blah, blah, blah.

1. Turtle

@cambsukguy

"I did say I was tolerant of dodgy plots. At least lots more people have now heard of Turing and mostly a positive viewpoint, hell, if Keira Knightly would marry him, he must be okay."

The Imitation Game is pretty nearly 100% bullshit. I doubt there are really all that many people who haven't heard of Turing as he's been the poster child for gay rights for quite a long time now. This movie is not about Turing to any significant degree, it's about a nearly completely fictional character who happens to have Turing's name.And there is nothing positive about the chief character first uncovering and then abetting a spy in Bletchley Park. Difficult to believe that the real Turing would have done that.

4. Mike Flugennock
      FAIL

ADAM SANDLER...! Slooowwwwly I turned...

But, seriously... that jerk hasn't been funny since he left Saturday Night Live... and even when he was on SNL, he had a grand total of ONE (1) bit that was any good, and he beat it to death.

"Starring Adam Sandler" isn't a cast billing, it's a warning label.

5. PassiveSmoking

Beat me to it.

Why do people keep giving this man money? You'd get similar results if you just used it to wipe your arse.

6. Amorous Cowherder
      Headmaster

Adam Sandler, the housewives choice. A quick straw poll of the half dozen or so "married with kids ladies" in my family ( including my beloved ) will show a unanimous support for him.

He's seen as cute, funny, non-threatening, malleable male that a studio sponsored poll would show women would most like to meet. He's the US answer to Hugh Grant. Every role see's Sandler as a bit of buffoon but with a heart of gold, he may start off with a unpleasant ideas but he's always calmed and brought under control by the women he meets and falls in love with. Exactly what a lot of middle-aged men in suits like to think a lot of middle-aged women sitting at home would like to watch!

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

REUH!

15-year-old boy who is unable to, err, have a "relationship"

What the hell? These are "relationships"? Also, back when we were young, these "relationships" might well have resulted in stern lecturing by parental role holders.

So, back to the Nihon Hikikomori Kyōkai

1. Bleu

Re: REUH!

I hate wikipedia, but learnt a little from that link. From the covers of the comics, I always assumed it was 'welcome to our extreme-right state broadcaster'.

Don't watch much TV lately.

Should have looked a little further.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I hate wikipedia

Hey, save your hate for hateful people - racists, murderers, abusers....

3. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

This is not a comedy

It's a horror movie shot specifically for the Daily Fail audience.

Sounds like they simply took all the internet myths and scary tales in which the permanently morally outraged DF readers so want to believe and be frightened by, and made a "movie" out of it.

They only seemed to forget to iclude the "internet will turn you into an exploding jihadist" bit. I guess that takes one star off their rating...

1. Lionel Baden
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: This is not a comedy

They only seemed to forget to iclude the "internet will turn you into an exploding jihadist" bit. I guess that takes one star off their rating...

1 New Keyboard please !!

4. Bleu

Thank You for Smoking

was a minor masterpiece.

Juno sounded just a little less preachy and pathetic than Precious, so I voted with my feet and stayed away.

This one sounds awful, so thanks for the scathing description and warning.

After I post this, I will dutifully give a vote to all anti-Sandler posts.

If anybody hasn't seen Thank You for Smoking, you should, it is a great laugh.

5. h4rm0ny

I have a rule.

I will not watch any film for which the trailer is an opening "poignant" character moment, followed by a wide-angle shot and slow piano music interspersed with people doing "ordinary" things.

This rule has, of yet, had not a single false negative in alerting me to awful movies.

1. circusmole
      Happy

Re: I have a rule.

How do you know they were awful if you didn't even have a little peek?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Years and years of experience, circusmole.

I can verfiy both of the commentards very sound reasoning.

2. Efros

I have a similar one for documentaries, it the phrase "a personal journey" pops up in the intro or the write up for the doc then it gets the boot.

3. Mike Flugennock

A rule of thumb that's never failed me: if the trailer for a movie opens with a voiceover declaring "Insert Title Of Movie is the Number One movie in America!" than it's pretty much guaranteed that the movie in question is a stinkburger.

6. TheProf
    Devil

A confession

I have never watched a film containing Adam Sandler.

God, didn't I suffer enough when you inflicted Jim Carrey on the world?

1. auburnman

Re: A confession

I have a lot of sympathy for Jim Carrey. He desperately wants to be a serious actor, but no-one is interested in going to see him in a film where he is not making use of his rubber face or pretending to talk out of his arse.

1. Synonymous Howard

Re: A confession

Carrey was good in The Truman Show though.

7. I am the Walrus

Punch-Drunk love

Is the one good movie Adam Sandler ever did imho.

8. ecofeco Silver badge

There's a word for this

Wankfest? Nope. Er, self-something-or-other? Nope. Hip? Oh hell no.

Oh I remember! Pretentious boring crap.

Who fucking green-lights this kind of drivel? The "intimate look inside a modern dysfunctional family" has been done to death!

9. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Meh

Tricky

A film with Adam Sandler in it? Easy - avoid. But wait... there's Voyager One too. Does a minute of Voyager outweigh 190 odd of Sandler. Maybe, just maybe.

10. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Geeeez!

"'Dad, I saw something on the internet....' - that's the worst opening of any conversation you can have with your child," says director Jason Reitman.

"I'm terrified of my [eight-year-old] daughter having access to the internet - I fear it every time she asks for a phone."

Oh my, the guy simply needs psychiatric help, yet he is being held out as some kind of final authority on human-internet interactions...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon