back to article 'America radicalised me!' cries Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom

This week’s security scare came in the form of Regin, the highly advanced malware that’s said to be as sophisticated as Stuxnet and Duqu. Symantec researchers were the first to report the evil software, saying: Regin is a complex piece of malware whose structure displays a degree of technical competence rarely seen. …

1. Cipher

Kim.com

The file sharing "industry" couldn't have picked a worse representative if they tried...

2. Turtle

Responsibility.

"Socially responsible companies wouldn’t want to bamboozle their users..."

But financially responsible companies would.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Responsibility.

...and do so every day.

3. Guildencrantz

UN Charter

says "[n]o one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks."

Yup - ARBITRARY interference. Arbitrary means, among other things, without justification.

Art 29 (2): "In the exercise of his rights and freedoms, everyone shall be subject only to such limitations as are determined by law solely for the purpose of securing due recognition and respect for the rights and freedoms of others and of meeting the just requirements of morality, public order and the general welfare in a democratic society."

General welfare includes averting mass murder.

4. Yes Me Silver badge

Frau DotCom

"But later, Dotcom talked about how he’d transferred the shares for his new filesharing site Mega to his wife and children, saying he was “officially broke”, which could mean still actually quite rich, as long as he stays on good terms with the wife."

But they've split up. So he may actually be short of a penny.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Meh

Re: Frau DotCom

Is that "split up" as in split up, or "split up" as in "we are no longer legally attached so you can't seize any assets there"?

That much legal outlay buys all sorts of advice on loopholes.....

5. OzBob

Kim dot Blob is nothing if not inconsistent

last week "I'm broke and a pariah"

this week "I earned 40 million last year, spent 10 million and never fled the country so I'm not a flight risk"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/63702162/Kim-Dotcom-earned-40m-while-on-bail-court-hears

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Kim dot Blob is nothing if not inconsistent

Holy moly! How this guy have had the kind of legal trouble he had plus no working website and still make that kind of money?

"Dotcom told the hearing he had earned $40 million since being on bail, mainly from the sales of shares in two new ventures - Baboom and Mega NZ.

Wait. What? Just exactly who gives a guy that much money in that kind of legal trouble?

$10 MILLION in legal fees? Regular people stand no chance.

1. veti Silver badge

He does have a working website - mega.co.nz. I haven't used it myself, but a colleague whose judgment I respect speaks very highly of it.

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
          Trollface

mega.conz? oh sorry missed a period.

- In before pregnancy joke....

2. Jimbo in Thailand
      Thumb Up

"Kim dot Blob" ROTFLMAO!!! Oh, that fits him to a tee! He's so rotund and full of hot air I'm guessing a team has to tether him to mooring masts whenever he's outside, a la airships, just to keep him from floating away. LOL, maybe that's why the NZ government considers him a flight risk! Haha!

6. Stevie

Bah!

"We recognised the sensitivity of the excess data provided and ensured it was retained securely, until it was returned to Vodafone. "

Because when you send someone digital information you no longer have it, just like with a Christmas Card.

"The Met agreed that it would only use the material for a policing purpose, when in the interests of justice to do so, and where people were already charged and facing criminal proceedings."

So, any time they felt like it, then.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like