back to article NBN Co details fibre/copper divide in new rollout plan

NBN Co has reconfirmed what's been known ever since the 2013 election: fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) builds are more-or-less frozen, and all new builds will be under its multi-technology model. Two weeks after its revised corporate plan capped Australia's experiment with fibre-to-the-premises, the network builder has published …

1. John Tserkezis

Pfft. I'm over it.

I'm looking at possibly changing from existing Optus cable to another provider via xDSL, since they're offering better features for the same price, and especially since Optus has been playing funny buggers with my plan (changed it twice already without letting me know).

There is likely to be some trouble with available copper, I had trouble with limited copper with Telstra ~15 years ago, so I'm guessing THAT situation isn't getting any better. Fun times ahead.

NBN? Not even a consideration. The sun would have blown up and cooled down before they even consider the area. Where am I? Inner west Sydney. Yep, the fukcing communications black hole of the planet. Or so it seems.

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Oh the irony

If you are on a slow connection the poxy Google map times out before the data finishes loading.

3. BlackKnight(markb)

what was that slogan again

Faster Sooner Cheaper? they've already failed the first 2 and "cheaper" is hanging on by a thread.

1. Fluffy Bunny

If the KRudd government hadn't lied out it's arse about the NBN's progress, the new management might not be so far behind the eight ball.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The project was a little slow in ramping up - not a bit issue, this can be fixed later in the project (as roll out processes become more defined and resources become more available. Significant delays occurred when asbestos was found in the old comm's pits; this was unforseen and neither government is accountable for those delays. Further significant delays occurred because of the change in government, the apparent need to legitimize the project by doing a cost-benefits analysis which was never properly delivered and the removal of senior NBN staff which didn't agree with Turnbull (even though he wanted to take the politics out of the NBN discussion). The need to trial the FTN solution which Turnbull was proposing has pushed things back heaps... If NBN Co had continued to invest in the resources to deliver FTP, they would be well ahead of where they are now; unfortunately they couldn't because of the political quagmire that has little to do about technology and a lot to do with keeping one of the few promises many would be happy for this government to actually renege on.

1. Paul 129
          WTF?

Have to vote you down.

Its all been a big crock of bull$%!t.

My favourite story is that of the 'Day the NBN came to town' a customer of mine was rather excited to talk to the people with the mobile NBN pavilion. But it was wet n windy so they'd packed everything away, please try again in the afternoon.

So when he came back, it was sunny and clear, but there was no one about, wandering around to be back of the semi and looking in, was surprised to find two of the NBN reps practicing their missionary skills. Shocked about this behaviour, he asked about the location of the supervisor,... At the pub 2:30 Friday afternoon.

Anyway the NBN is good if you can get it, Wireless that I have seen is typically a solid 25Mbs easy, and no slowdowns due to oversubscription! Satellite, dunno what's happening there, but VOIP over satellite? Please someone say that's not what's happening?

Unfortunately most of my stories at the moment are about people being told of impending copper cut off, with NBN being undeliverable.

My direct observations are, 'order what order? Oh we had to cancel your order, I cant tell you why' times lots! and 'oh well just route it through your neighbours roof'. Mind at least now, something is happening!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like