back to article AMD targets Puma 'Centrino beater' at consumers, SMEs

AMD launched its long-awaited Puma laptop platform this morning into an unexpectedly open market after Intel was forced to delay its refreshed Centrino 2 platform. Puma is built around AMD's Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile processor but the vendor has put HD at the centre of its pitch. Puma features integrated ATI Radeon HD …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. andy rock
    Linux

yay!

go AMD! nice to see them have a bit of good fortune. even if it is a jammy one.

on a serious note, i'm a fairly loyal AMD customer but, using linux, ATI graphics have stung me more than once. what's the current state of play with ATI and linux, given the announcement of open driver development a few months back? has anything solid materialised yet?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

re: yay

The current ATi proprietary drivers for linux are, at least in my opinion, fantastic. In many respects so much better than the proprietary Nvidia drivers.

The open source drivers are, I'm told, advancing rapidly but I cannot attest to their current state personally as I went straight for the proprietary drivers instead.

3. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Soul Sister/Blood Brother/Resident Alien Friends and Lovers....Electronic Levers

"McNaughton said AMD plans to showcase ultra portable and enterprise-centric products in 2009 but added that those markets have never been the "focus of Puma"..... , but it will take a lot more than a feisty Puma for AMD to steal the crown from the king of the chip jungle. "

A feisty Puma for AMD champion/sponsored user, into showcase ultra-portable and enterprise-centric productions would rightly wear any and even, if they are Really Good, every crown.

Do they have a Killer Application Beta Proxy Champion ... someone breaking all the Rules and Forging New Fields of Simply CompleXXXX Play/Roles/MMORPG...... and if not, why not and why not several who can Communicate Plans Transparently for the Added Stealth of Incredulity.

Would running a country of about 1.7 million souls be a SME. And would AMD be equipped and enabled to handle and deliver its IT Needs if its Feeds were known, for a failure to do that simple Task will have the Door Opened for a Supplier who can.

4. E

Gah

Look on AMD's web site at the list of partner vendor PC and notebook products. The search/filter facility lists neither "Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile" processor, nor "ATI Radeon HD 3200" graphics, nor "780G chipset", nor "Puma".

I'd sure like to check out a Puma rig. I can even get vendors to lend me gear sometimes, or I could go to a big retailer and take a poke. AMD does not seem to want me to know what products to look for.

But AMD does have a pretty Flash widget on their home page!

This is marketing worthy of <b><i>Novell</i></b>!

Or, if I *was* an AMD marketer:

This is marketing worth of <font size="-6">Novell</font>!

Reg needs a 'pointing and laughing mockingly' emoticon. I might use it here.

5. Snert Lee

If only...

I so, so, sooo wish they had teamed up with nVidia instead of ATI.

6. andy rock
    Linux

RE: re: yay

just out of interest, which distro are you using? the last time i tried with ATi binaries, trying to lever them onto Slackware was a total nightmare. in the end, i was pleased just to get 2D accel working. admittedly, this was about a year ago.

i use the nvidia binaries and find them to be a doddle. how do you find the ATI offerings better?

i'm by no means saying i wouldn't buy ATI graphics again, i just want someone to prove to me that the binaries work on distros other than fedora, suse, etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.