back to article Japan pauses asteroid BOMBING raid – still no word from Bruce Willis?

Japan's space agency JAXA has called off the launch of its Hayabusa2 asteroid-mining mission. The plan is to send a probe to a far-flung space rock, blast a hole in it, grab some material, and return it to Earth. However, bad weather on our home world this week has delayed the launch of the gutsy expedition to sometime next …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thought the Japs were in a shitload of debt!

Apparently not! Apparently they can fuck up millions of dollars of delicate electronic equipment in the pursuit of the pointless........a bit like me and this comment.

1. Dave Bell

Re: Thought the Japs were in a shitload of debt!

I think they built it from Hollywood funding for the movie.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

It's Abe and his 'nomics.

His real identity is actually YEN PRINT MAN and his MAGENTA SPANDEX.

There is nothing he will not buy!

Tennouuuu heikaaaa banzaiii!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It's Abe and his 'nomics."

I get the Abe reference but nothing else in your post. Could you elucidate please? I'm interested...

1. E 2

Well, Abe has been printing money like a madman for the past 6 years. The US trade imbalance is epic.

Thus dollars -> yen.

Though I understand it is much more dollars -> yuan.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Well, it takes yuan to know yuan(:-!

2. E 2
            Facepalm

You know, I just now flashed that the JP PM is named Shinzo Abe. I meant Abe as in Lincoln as in the US Prez.

2. frank ly

JAXA

I immediately thought of war rocket Ajax. Can the asteroid be named Flash Gordon?

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: JAXA

"I immediately thought of war rocket Ajax."

I had forgotten that one, but instead thought of Operation Ajax.

3. cosymart
    Facepalm

Clangers

I trust the asteroid has been/will be checked and cleared to ensure that no Soup Dragons or shiny clad mice have colonised it? Wait a minute, they are hoping to collect "organic" material, ye gods we could be over run with aliens with squeaky voices!

4. Mark 85

If it's the ship of Ming the Merciless in disguise, we're all doomed. Doomed I tell you!

5. henchan

ArtSat 2

ArtSat 2 will accompany Hayabusa 2 on the rocket before being pushed out into deep space. For seven days, on battery power, this sculpture will broadcast Dadaist poetry generated from its own sensor data. Thereafter, it will remain in orbit around the sun as an artificial asteroid for perhaps billions of years. The material from which the sculpture is made is expected to degrade after maybe hundreds of thousands of years (radiation), but a 2D representation of the sculpture in, iirc silicon, will be everlasting.

Last week I met one of the ArtSat project's designers at a Maker Faire. Apparently, they've have spent only around $100,000 on the entire project. Presumably their launch is free or cut-price.

http://artsat.jp/

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: ArtSat 2

My wife is an artist (fine art) and rather intensely dislikes abstract and "modern art". I tend to agree with her, it's not my cup of tea as well. To each his own, said the lady as she kissed her cow.

Our conversation for this satellite went as follows, a brief description of the project and goals, then a brief Q&A session, placed below.

So, as I said, this is essentially an art project in spaaaaace.

Yes.

So, would you want that on your coffee table?

No.

Just as well that they're throwing it off of the planet, huh?

(Smiled, chuckled and agreed.)

6. Pen-y-gors

Gravity?

I'm sure they've thought of this, but...

I can see that dropping a bomb will blast a hole. But given that asteroid gravity tends to be somewhat gentle (how far did Philae bounce?) how likely is it that any rubble will end up in the hole, rather than flying off into oblivion, possibly bashing the intrepid space-bomber on the way?

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: Gravity?

I'm dubious of the utility of any explosive, as over half of the explosive force would be outward, rather than toward rock, save if it's accelerated enough to penetrate before detonation.

I'd lean more toward a kinetic penetrator, which is well proven technology, both on and off of Earth.

7. Arachnoid

Looks to me........

Like a peeled Apple so maybe it should broadcast well known brand advertising for the next millennium or so until the Sun swallows it up

http://despatch.artsat.jp/en/Main_Page

8. Scroticus Canis
    Thumb Up

They already got one there and back which is impressive of itself.

Good luck on the second try but must admit bit sceptical of 'bombing' the asteroid. A penetrating harpoon might be a better option; less shrapnel and chance of the asteroid being propelled elsewhere.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: They already got one there and back which is impressive of itself.

I seem to recall the penetrating harpoon notion being tried and it was an abysmal failure.

Meanwhile, a kinetic penetrator did work on an asteroid once and did quite a bang up job of it.

Pun intended.

The only difference between missions would be going down and collecting chunks that fell back, rather than being vaporized.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only reason they've done this is that...

...someone told them the asteroid is full of Blue fin Tuna.....they're going to be disappointed.

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

Re: The only reason they've done this is that...

Yes... it's a bit like all food from that part of the world.

You have one, then a few years later you want another...

10. bearded bearcan
    Happy

This is a South Park reference

'Fuck You Dolphin!, Fuck You Whale!, Fuck You Asteroid!'

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like