back to article Edward Snowden: best ... security ... educator ... EVER!

A good deal of folk aware of NSA leaker Edward Snowden have improved the security of their online activity after learning of his exploits, a large survey has found. Researchers from think tank The Centre for International Governance Innovation collected responses from 23,376 users between October and November and found 60 …

1. Gordon 10
    Headmaster

Pedant alert

Whomever created that graph needs to go away and consider what "total" means.

1. VinceH

Re: Pedant alert

Yeah, and what an average is.

(I'm assuming 60% is the average of the numbers below - at a glance, it looks plausibly in the right ballpark to be one.)

2. aBloke FromEarth

Re: Pedant alert

Further pedantry: it's whoever, not whomever.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"better technology comes from people, processes and technology"

So it's recursive, then?

1. Graham Cunningham

Tips & Corrections

@AC - did you notice there's a "Tips & Corrections" button at the bottom of each article?

3. Neil B

It is bizarre that people react to threats from their own governments more aggressively than threats from the "normal" criminal class.

1. AbelSoul
      Black Helicopters

Re: bizarre

Not really.

Apart from the fact that "their own governments" probably have a combined capability orders of magnitude greater than the "normal" criminal class, the knowledge that those who officially claim to be protecting you are actually up to no good can be quite a motivator for some folk.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you put every single "normal" criminal in my entire country together, had them pool their resources and work in collusion to harm me they could still only do one one hundred thousandth what my government could do.

What's more, my personal resources are not to be underestimated. Unless and until the "regular criminal class" chooses to band together and come for me in force, I'm perfectly capable of handling all but the very best among them. I have nothing which can stop my government.

4. phil dude
    Pint

pizza...

Since I heard about Snowden , every time I talk to my brother in Blighty, I ask the NSA listening software for a pizza.

FYI, haven't got one yet...

Beer icon, because that would be useful too....

P.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

YOU CAN PULL DOWN THE SHUTTERS, BUT...

...Around the corner in a stolen 4x4 is GCHQ waiting to Ram Raid your OS.

6. Glen 1
    Facepalm

In other news...

People who take an interest in security are better at keeping up with the latest developmets/incidents in security...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you're that gullible...

...that you would believe Snowden when a lot of his claims have been proven untrue, then you deserve to get fleeced.

1. DeKrow
      Trollface

Re: If you're that gullible...

Amen brother. How smart was it of the NSA to have such a massive trove of false trail documents just in case of such a leak? But I guess that's why their budget is so big, they think of these things that mere mortals like us can't even fathom. They also need to fund a heap of NGO contractors to work on these documents to maintain the pretense that it's all legitimate.

Bravo to the NSA, may they continue unencumbered.

8. Kepler
    Black Helicopters

Trust no one!

"The research also touched on internet governance, reporting that no-one trusts anyone to run the internet although a cushy collection of NGOs, tech companies and engineers garnered 57 per cent of votes. About a third said the US should play an important role, but of these around three percent of punters in Western countries had complete faith in the US. Even patriots could only muster eight percent to the full confidence vote."

Count me as one Yank who trusts the US government and the Department of Commerce barely at all, but who trusts most or all of the available alternatives (that he's aware of) even less.

I have been much influenced on this particular topic (who gets the root zone files and tables) by the writings thereon of The Wall Street Journal's Gordon Covitz. I find them very persuasive.

There are things even worse and less trustworthy than the US government. Like the governments of China, Russia, and France.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like