back to article Sharing Economy sharks need love, cuddles and SUBSIDIES – UK.gov

The government’s controversial “Independent Review” of so-called “sharing economy” companies – such as Uber – has concluded that they should be encouraged to self-regulate while receive government nurturing and love – and your money. To lead the review, the government appointed Debbie Wosskow, the CEO and founder of …

1. NumptyScrub

Oh my $DEITY

You may wonder how someone with such a deep conflict of interest ended up figureheading a government “independent review”. In what way is Ms Wasskow independent of the sharing economy?

A BiS spokesperson told us she isn't; "independent” now means "independent of government", and not, as you might think, someone who is independent of the subject area on which they are reporting.

It's official, we are all fucked. This has been confirmed by an Independant Review chaired by me, so I should know.

2. gerryg

You might be right, however...

"Uber is distinguished really only by its use of what seems to amount to zero-hours contracts and by-demand pricing"

Never used them, because I can choose not to. If they drive (no pun intended) others out of the market then it's because their customers have spoken. Not Uber's problem.

Without Uber we might find ourselves saying

Taxis are a complex monopoly abusing their customers because they can charge what they as there is no alternative

They've got form on resisting competition

3. getHandle

Good grief I hate people like that

They just seem to completely devalue "IT". 20 years programming C/C++ counts for f. all, the skills that count are basically sales & marketing. I can see a spin-off of The Apprentice coming on...

4. Chris G

Sounds like

A member of the Lily Cole Club; do sod all and let the government (taxpayer) foot the bill.

I wonder how much she got paid for her 'Independent Review'?

Since she was appointed by the BIS to do the review and presumably paid by them, how independent of the government was she?

This Government are every bit as bad as the last one for giving jobs to the Boys(and Girls)

I would like to point out that I am very independent and available for review writing at reasonable rates.

5. tfewster
    WTF?

Shurley shome mistake?

1) Steve Bong comes out at weekends.

2) Good satire must be believable, unlike this childish rubbish.

Wait...What did you say? WHAT?!

I blame El Reg for giving them the idea.

6. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

If their subsidies are ended

Will we see a national strike of imagineering consultants?

Will there be benefits all over South Yorkshire to support the strikers?

Will we see police batton charges outside silicon Roundabout coffee shops?

Will police stop cars containing people with rimless glasses and goatees.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was unaware torrents needed government subsidies

But hey, if there's money being given out...

8. Frankee Llonnygog

I can see where this is going

Public services outsourced to the sharing economy.

Been a victim of crime? Log onto Rozzer and find the lowest priced Rentaplod

Need brain surgery? Log onto Numbskull and some geezer with a Black and Decker and two bent teaspoons will sort you out

Etc, etc

All thoroughly and independently vetted of course

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm..

>You may wonder how someone with such a deep conflict of interest ended

>up figureheading a government “independent review”

I don't - I've seen it before (the company I worked for had a system in use by the NHS, DH decided to set up a committee to evaluate further expansion that just happened to be chaired by someone seconded from a major competitor.. Surprise, surprise, the committee decided we were too small and that the functionality should be folded into a larger system owned and maintained by said larger competitor..)

Our protests about the makeup of the committee were dismissed with "well, he works for the DH now despite having come from $COMPETITOR"

One wonders how may nights out on the town bought that result?

10. halftone

Eerily reminiscent

Eerily reminiscent of the Hargreaves Review, and the nonsense that followed on from that. Wherein Google, salaried academics, Big Culture and thieving punters all whispered in the IPO's shell-like how all that archaic copyright stuff was preventing the economic progress of them getting something for nothing.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Volunteers needed

Any one ready to assist with the golden shower

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon