back to article The SILO SPRAWL: So just how much virtualising software lipstick does it need?

The more hybrid and heterogeneous data storage silos we have, the more we need single management focus. We're in an age of storage silo bloat; the darn things are multiplying, and we need a single pane of glass through which we provision, access, and manage disparate storage silos independent of storage type, access protocols …

1. K
    Coat

The more hybrid and heterogeneous data storage silos we have

will allow us to synergize and diversify, to ensure alignment with globalisation and generation X. This will lead to organic growth setting a milestone and allow us to Push the envelope. We'll Leverage this with a Holistic Approach causing Disruptive innovation and Outside the box growth leading to a Paradigm shift!!!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Congratulations

You just overflowed my Bullshit Bingo.

1. K
        Devil

Re: Congratulations

Sorry.. when I read "heterogeneous data storage silos" my built in BoFH bullshit generator went into overdrive.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: The more hybrid and heterogeneous data storage silos we have

For the record, you should replace "generation X" with "Millennials". Gen Xers are positively ancient.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Why isn't it the same with storage arrays?"

Ah, the comfortable fallacy of real-world comparisons. Unfortunately, nothing in IT compares with the Real World. That is why Amazon can remove a book you paid for without your consent, and I don't give a monkey's that they reimburse you. If you had gone and bought the actual dead tree version, they'd need a warrant to come and take it from you, but because it's a digital version, they gave themselves eternal control over it.

And, for some obscure reason, we do not torch the place but meekly accept the fact that we no longer OWN what we PAID FOR.

The fact is : nothing in IT can be compared to the Real World, because in IT he who makes the code decides on the limits - and morals are a naught but a dictionary word any more.

So, storage arrays ? BECAUSE THEY CAN, that's why. Vendor lock-in, predatory practices, protectionism, anything and everything including the kitchen sink if it helps bring in more suckers customers and keep them in the fold.

Oh, but they will chant USA! USA! if you want them to, while jerking the string of a senator if need be. So be happy, it's all Capitalism At Work (tm).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like