back to article Sony cuff-puter to do one thing smartwatches can't: Give you DAYS of hot wrist action

Sony is to bring out a smartwatch with an e-paper screen that solves one of the biggest wearable shortfalls: battery life. Sources familiar with the project told Bloomberg the gadget will use the entire wrist band to display information, but it will not be as advanced as other arm-slabs on the market. Unlike today's crop of …

1. Brian Miller

Pebble?

Really, that sounds a lot like the Pebble. Runs for a week before bothering you to be recharged, not a lot of compute power, but it's handy. But I don't know if I'd want a wrist bracelet. (Manacle?)

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Pebble?

If it is paired to a smartphone there is no need for compute power in the first place. This is the most ridiculous part about the current smartwatch generation. You already have a 4 core monster sitting somewhere nearby so why the hell are you sticking half a gig of RAM and 600MHz CPU as well as all radios known to man into a wrist device? WTF?

1. John Robson Silver badge

"If it is paired to a smartphone there is no need for compute power in the first place. This is the most ridiculous part about the current smartwatch generation. You already have a 4 core monster sitting somewhere nearby so why the hell are you sticking half a gig of RAM and 600MHz CPU as well as all radios known to man into a wrist device? WTF?"

Depends if you consider a device or an accessory.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pebble uses a memory LCD, similar idea to e-paper but much faster refresh.

Personally I'm not buying another watch or wearable unless I know I can swap out the battery. Everything seems to be disposable now, my Fitbit Flex lasted about 9 or 10 months before the battery died completely, I got a replacement free of charge but how many times will they honour that?

My Pebble lasted about 6 or so months before the battery life decreased to about two days, then I got fed up with it buzzing "20% battery remaining" all the time. Pebble is glued shut, no chance of replacing the battery in that.

1. Extra spicey vindaloo
        Happy

Mine's been going 18 months now,

Did you turn off Shake to Light? That is the biggest battery drain, mine still gives me 7 days or 3 if Shake to Light is on.

2. Alan Denman

Battery income

Obviously, repairing the battery every 2 years generates massive industry income.

The dumb ass popular non replaceable battery has never been for consumer benefit.

3. PleebSmash
      Trollface

Nope, it's the Sony Rubble.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nope, it's the Sony Rubble.

Upvote for getting a Flintstones reference in here :)

2. Lusty

epaper

Weird, that description of balls spinning bears no resemblance to the manufacturer description of microbeads in a white liquid.

1. Nym

Re: epaper...sry...really bad pun...

It took a lot of ballz to make that comment...

3. Anonymous Blowhard

Interesting

I like the idea of the fast-track idea-pitching to management; this has to be a better route to innovative products than using market analysts who can only suggest things that have already been done.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting

That what having a R&D and a vision is all about. Seeing into the future and producing what people may want rather than asking what they want now and delivering it to them 18 months later when they now want something else.

The iPad was something people said "I can't see the point of it" etc... at the time. Tablets are now everywhere.

1. cambsukguy

er no, the iPad was not the result of that kind of thinking.

The iPad was the final result of a continuous "I want a touch PC in a tablet" thinking that produced no end of good and not-so-good products.

The reason for success was the realisation that a specific, non-PC OS would be required to make it usable, as well as the technology of displays, touchscreens, processors and cells etc. becoming good enough to realise the product.

I think Steve Jobs rejected nearly-pads many times before accepting what became the iPad.

2. nijam Silver badge

> The iPad was something people said "I can't see the point of it" etc... at the time. Tablets are now everywhere.

And we still can't see the point of them...

2. DropBear

this has to be a better route to innovative products than using market analysts who can only suggest things that have already been done.

Somewhat hilariously, this comes as a comment on a 'new product' that is about as unoriginal as it can get (e-paper watch? Naaaah, never heard of that one before...).

4. Conrad Longmore

FONE

I bought a FONE when it first came out. People were amazed that there was still writing on the screen when you took the battery out. Of course, things like the Kindle are now quite common so people are used to the display staying on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like