back to article Save Thanksgiving! Get your turkey to text you when it's done

It may be a cliché, but the one thing guaranteed to ruin your Thanksgiving dinner, as well as provide one more thing that your family to torture you with for the rest of your life, is a burnt turkey. Well, worry no more. Not only have boffins at iDevices developed a thermometer that you can leave in the oven with the bird but …

1. Eddy Ito
    Pint

Wow, did you really make it through that with a straight face? If you did, that's impressive control and you deserve one of these.-->

Oh, does iDevice have something to text you when your glass is empty? I thought I remember seeing something of that nature hereabouts.

2. dan1980

Surely the easier solution is to not invite your familiy over and, if you are invited, to decline as politely (and in as few words) as possible.

As the season of feigned delight, forced happiness and pointless spending draws ever closer, I am left to wondering (as I am every year) why people who dislike each other and don't seem to have a great deal in common beyond shared genes and bad memories persist in the charade.

Depressive much?

3. Mark 85

The last paragraph says it all....

They'll sell piles of these just on that premise alone.

4. Lusty

What on earth

Is an iPhone 3? Is it the iphone 2nd gen (3G) or iPhone 3rd gen (3GS)

5. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

There are easier ways to use your phone to avoid burned or raw turkey...

"Hello? I'd like a table for six, about 12:30 on the 25th."

6. VinceH
    Unhappy

I find the best way to avoid burnt turkey is not to bother with turkey in the first place - and anyone who attempts to feed it to me in the upcoming christhumbugmass period will be forever in my bad books.

1. SkippyBing

Goose

The turkey alternative that's edible.

1. VinceH

Re: Goose

Yes - I tried that a while back, and very nice it was, too.

Not, I should point out, for my Christhumbugmass lunch - although I mentioned the Christhumbugmass period, it's not possible attempt to feed me turkey for my Christhumbugmass lunch; it's really more of a general point.

I've made it something of a tradition now to go for a walk in the Brecons (or last year the on the Marlborough Downs) on 25th December, so my lunch on that day usually consists of ham sandwiches. :)

7. jake Silver badge

My turkeys[1][2] ...

... are in the smokehouse as of an hour ago. 180F, light smoke (green Manzanita and White Oak) for the first three hours. They'll be perfect for lunch, in about 10 hours (it's 01:30 here). Sea salt, Lampong pepper, and smoke. That's it for seasoning.

[1] Five, ~13lbs apiece, all wild birds, all legal.

[2] Two for us on the Ranch, three for friends, all five carcases will become stock on Saturday.

1. dan1980

Re: My turkeys[1][2] ...

@jake

That sounds amazing. Apart from the turkey, of course. Smoky peppers always welcome, however.

1. jake Silver badge

@dan1980 (was:Re: My turkeys[1][2] ...)

The only issue you have with turkey is your inability to properly cook it.

I have roughly40 pounds of peppers drying/smoking in what's left of the heat in the smokehouse. Bell, Padron, Jalapeno, Serrano, Lemon Drop, Red Peter, Anaheim, Pablano, Fresno, De Arbol, Thai Bird, Maya Red Habenero, Orange Habenero, Aji Amarillo, Ghost and Scorpion.

It's nearly December, after all. Must preserve the chili for the winter ...

Rain comes in tonight (it's very early in the morning here in California) ... We'll probably put up several dozen quarts of tomatos over the next couple days, after picking them this afternoon.

1. dan1980

Re: @dan1980 (was:My turkeys[1][2] ...)

@jake

"The only issue you have with turkey is your inability to properly cook it."

Not quite. First, turkey is an ignoble animal. Second, it is a stupid animal. Third, it is an animal. (The tomatoes also sound good.)

2. James Micallef Silver badge

Re: My turkeys[1][2] ...

yum yum, sounds good.

Out of curiosity, is 13lbs big or small for a turkey? I got the impression that with birds getting bigger and bigger, it gave more scope for either burning the outside or undercooking the inside or both. Of course (very) long cooking time at a moderate temperature is ideal rather than th3 2-3 hours in a much hotter oven.

1. jake Silver badge

@James Micallef (was:Re: My turkeys[1][2] ...)

"is 13lbs big or small for a turkey?"

Small-medium (for Toms). Roughly yearling ... We cull the younger males when the older males (25+ pounds) kick them out of the flock.

"I got the impression that with birds getting bigger and bigger"

You are talking commercial birds. I'm talking wild birds.

8. Adolph Clickbait

Smoke alarm

That's usually my kitchen timer

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon