back to article Ex-EU digi supremo Steelie Neelie's net neutrality bid in tatters?

Former EU digital tzar Neelie Kroes’ net neutrality plans for the Continent may be chucked out by national governments. The latest draft of a law prepared by Italy for national delegations to mull over – a copy of which was leaked by digital rights group EDRi here [PDF] – suggests replacing a definition of net neutrality with …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    FAIL

Throw it out and start again

Unfortunately Oettinger's idea of net neutrality is being able to have a free choice of weather apps.

2. Panicnow

Bait and Switch

The oldest trick in the book

EU is totally captured by corporate interests, we need to get out NOW!

1. Christoph

Re: Bait and Switch

ROFL!

You mean that if all the powers revert to our current government, they will not make all decisions on the basis of the interests of businesses rather than the interests of citizens?

What is the value of pi in your universe?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Assuming that the government did that, at least if it's our government we do have the chance to change it through voting in a different government. If the EU decides we can't undo it without the say-so of 29 other governments, and that's not going to happen.

1. Mark 65

@Flatpackhamster: Ha ha ha, that's really funny. Meet the new Government, same as the old Government. Pretty much every Western Government and opposition in existence is beholden to corporate interests.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Besides which our government can block it via the Council of Ministers or our elected MEPs can block it if enough of them and those from other EU countries agree.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Our MEPs can't do that because they would NEVER get enough support in Parliament. Parliament's job is merely to rubber stamp the executive's decisions.

Our government can't block it via the council of ministers because Tony Blair and Gordon Brown gave away our veto in that area.

Keep peddling lies like all the other EU fanatics.

3. Slx

I miss Steelie Neelie - very few politicians have an understanding and passion for their brief. She seemed to be genuinely engaged with it and very much as a consumer and geek (and I mean that in a positive way).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Kroes was comedy value while she lasted.

By the way, normal people don't write use language like "genuinely engaged" about Eurocrats so I presume you work for the EU.

1. Slx

Wow! Such paranoia. Do you work for UKIP or something?

No, I don't work for the EU, nor do I want to work for the EU!

I'd call myself "Eurocritical" rather than "Eurosceptic" though. I don't buy into this just supporting it mindlessly nor do I buy into knocking it mindlessly either, it's all about critical engagement. It can do some good stuff, and it can do some lousy stuff. I think it made an unbelievable mess of the whole economic situation over the last few years, but it has been pretty good on telecoms and areas like privacy. That European Court of Justice ruling throwing out the data retention directive was a huge move and shows how the EU can be good and bad simultaneously depending on who's making the decisions!

I actually genuinely thought she did some good work in the area - particularly taking on the mobile phone operators, which was no small task as they're enormous lobbyists and some are even tied to states' vested interests either as huge companies that are 'national champions' or, in the case of Belgium and a few others, actually state owned.

I believe in giving credit where it's due and I think she did a decent job while she was in the seat. Comedy value? As in she has a bit of a personality and was willing to get out on blogs and Twitter? Don't really see what's bad about that!

She showed a bit of an ability to actually tease out the issues and a serious determination to get stuff done, even if it ruffled very powerful feathers, which is a lot more than can be said for many a technology tzar at national level.

4. Dr Stephen Jones
    Facepalm

Was never going to happen

http://www.laquadrature.net/en/faq-0

"We believe that it is impossible to effectively control the flow of information in the digital age by the law and the technology without harming public freedoms, and damaging economic and social development. This is what we call squaring the net."

"For the record, according to the online encyclopedia Wikipedia, squaring the circle is a classic problem of mathematics appearing in geometry. It is one of three major problems of the ancient world, with the trisection of the angle and the duplication of the cube."

"In the oldest mathematical text found, Rhind papyrus (~ 1650 BC.), The scribe Queen Ahmose already proposed approximate solution of the problem. However, we had to wait until 1882 for the German mathematician Ferdinand von Lindemann to show the transcendence of π, proving the impossibility of solving the problem of squaring the circle: it is impossible to construct, using only a ruler and compass, a square whose surface is exactly equal to the surface of a disk."

Yep, they look sane and sensible to me.

The nurse will see you now.

5. earl grey
    Flame

wtf

did the repugnicons take over there?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like