back to article Anti-download biz sued for 'abusive' robo-call demands for money

Internet piracy hunter Rightscorp, which shakes down alleged copyright infringers for damages, has been accused of harassment, abuse and illegal debt collection. A class-action lawsuit [PDF] filed in California claims the business broke a load of US laws while making automated robo-calls accusing people of illegally …

1. Busby

Kill them with fire, I'm not against right holders enforcing copyright but the actions of this firm are abusive they are trolls pure and simple.

Has anyone successfully challenged any of these in court? I suspect every case has been settled before reaching a trial not sure if an IP address would be enough evidence to win a case.

1. auburnman

I suspect the trolls would never actually initiate court action, aside from being far too expensive they wouldn't want to push their victims to seek professional representation or to put their case in front of a Judge. Either scenario would see them ripped to shreds.

The only way they'll end up in court is with a suit against them, either a class action like this or if they balls up and target someone with money or legal qualifications.

2. tmTM

Two wrongs make.......

..................................profit??

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. fire

Nah, nuke & pave, nuke & pave.

This happened in the UK as well a while back except it was £600 "fines" and a few stupid people actually did pay.

Sounds like a very effective way to make money, just buy up the copyright for a bunch of old magazines etc then wait until someone uses content from them. Profit!!!!

This is the ethical equivalent of patent trolling.

1. Fluffy Bunny
      Holmes

Re: Re. fire

"This is the ethical equivalent of patent trolling."... or not so ethical, if you read about what the company was doing. Actually more like extortion.

3. dan1980

I am a fan of punitive damages where warranted and I can think of few better cases than right here.

What Rightscorp is doing is breaking the law and wantonly, egregiously, acting in bad faith for the sake of profit.

They are playing a numbers game - reasoning that by behaving in this way they will earn more than they will have to pay to run and manage the system and risk losing through legal action.

This is precisely what punitive damages are supposed to address - companies that break the law deliberately because they see a profit in it. The damages are there to tip the scales by imposing large fines that make it much less favourable to engage in whatever behaviour is being assessed and therefore provide an effective deterrent to repeat offenses or to other companies engaging in or looking to engage in the same actions.

Just one component - the robocaller - is worthy in my opinion. They know - MUST KNOW - that it is wrong but it reduces their costs significantly. They - and anyone else considering such a tactic - must be told, unequivocally, that this behaviour is not a way to easy profits. Crime doesn't pay, etc...

4. auburnman

It occurs to me that this is basically Extortion Racketeering where the threat is the stress, drain & possible financial ruin instead of good old fashioned violence. They shouldn't be sued, they should be investigated by the police and possibly put in bracelets.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Actually....

...go after the right's holders as well. They are receiving proceeds of crime. Maybe then they may clean up their acts and vet who they "employ" on their behalf.

1. Christoph

Re: Actually....

That does assume that the rights holders have anything to do with it. It's possible that some of the smaller ones don't know about it, it's being done 'on their behalf'.

6. Omgwtfbbqtime

Anyone know what the principals of ACS are doing now? Are they acting as advisors to this shower of shit?

1. jonathanb Silver badge

He now works at this place - http://www.rodneywarren.co.uk/our-legal-team/andrew-crossley/

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge

An Answer?

Clearly these people creatures set out to terrorise their victims, hence should be dealt with under all the new terrorism laws that the nice Mrs May, and her leftpondian conterparts are shovelling through.

win-win?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: An Answer?

"leftpondian conterparts".

I like. I'm assuming 'counterparts', and thank you for leaving out the "u" not the "o". :)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

surprise

I'm surprised given the amount of guns, that they haven't tried to extort the wrong sort of person with a gun.

1. John F***ing Stepp

Re: surprise

Yeah, you're right; a person like me, who carries a lot of guns would be inclined to sue their asses off.

9. ecofeco Silver badge

Oh the irony

They haz it.

10. sisk

Reminds me of back in the day when I got a letter, allegedly from SCO, about my "unlicensed use of their property" or some such rubbish. Frankly I'd find out what made them think I was file sharing then offer to let them set the court date and hang up on them. You can't win these cases with just an IP address and even if some brain dead court did award them a judgement with no other evidence it'd be far less than $20 per song.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

it'd be far less than $20 per song.

Sadly I believe the few cases that did come to court showed that US juries are remarkably willing to allow the award of vast damages. The Land of the Free seems to have an awful lot of the people who are born free but are everywhere in chains.

We really need Shelley back again.

11. earl grey
    Flame

fire is correct

and here's more

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like