back to article Woman who stung Tinder with sex-pest sueball stings again – with rival Bumble app

A Tinder cofounder who sued the upstart for sexual harassment will launch a competing dating app called Bumble next month. And, having settled the legal bother for an undisclosed sum, Whitney Wolfe is giving the online hookup scene both barrels. "Other apps are full of creepy guys and cheesy pickup lines," the Bumble app's …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No creepy guys, eh?

Presumably to be enforced through a profile question: Are you creepy? That's bound to be enough.

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: No creepy guys, eh?

You'd also need to ask "Are you a guy?"

1. Fungus Bob

Re: No creepy guys, eh?

You _only_ need to ask "Are you a guy?"

There, FTFY.

2. John Tserkezis

I can't help thinking this a case of "my last company turned to shit, so I'll take all my people and create a new one, that will probably still be shit".

1. Havin_it
      Holmes

Some shit may have hit the fan, but Tinder is still afloat isn't it? (If it isn't, no need to read on.)

My thought is I do wonder whether the two firms don't have "backers" in common, who could (entirely hypothetically) have orchestrated the whole thing? After all, contemporary morality being what it is, to make the big bucks it's best to run the church AND the whorehouse ...

1. silent_count

Or the cynical ploy of: Let's weaken my current employer's business by alleging sexual harassment*, paving the way for me to set up a competitor. And if the former employer complains about me poaching customers/staff/algorithms/etc it will be perceived as even further harassment of a courageous victim who is just trying to get on with her life.

* I imagine that would cripple a dating app/site. Who wants to use a dating app run by the kind of creeps who would harrass their staff?

1. sabroni Silver badge

re: alleging sexual harassment

>> The company said in a statement that it had suspended Mateen while it conducted an internal investigation. “Through that process, it has become clear that Mr. Mateen sent private messages to Ms. Wolfe containing inappropriate content." <<

Bit late for them to be worrying about what people think of their staff.

3. Chris G

Dating App =Creepy

I have never quite 'got' dating agencies, going out of the door to the pub/gym/clubbing has to be better and give you more idea of what you are looking at or talking to than a well considered profile with god knows whose photos.

I'm 35, live with my mum, converted her basement to a nice office/den/games room. I have a teeshirt for every day of the week and I have never had girl problems...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dating App =Creepy

"I have never had girl problems..." , just like how I don't have a Unicorn problem, I assume.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Dating App =Creepy

@Chris G

You forgot the joke icon. Jokes REQUIRE a joke icon here. There are too many Sheldons and not enough Leonards reading El Reg.

3. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: I have never had girl problems

You mean none have escaped yet

4. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Funny how you meet plenty of people these days who will tell you they met online, but few who tell you they met through a dating app or agency. Why is that? For a start people who meet online usually meet discussing one shared interest, not by being matched up by a system that compares all their shared interests. In the real world couples seldom share loads of interests. Indeed in many long and happy partnerships you will find few interests that the couple shared at the start. Perhaps they have come to share interests over time or have discovered new shared interests together, but that doesn't mean that they compared interests when they met. People who meet by more traditional methods often don't even know if they share anything other than being in the same place at the same time. Dating agencies and apps seem to miss that the most important interest a couple shares is each other.

That's why they seldom work or on the odd occasions when they do the resultant couples seem a little strange.

It's the same with being introduced by friends. Most happy couples just happened to meet, there wasn't some would be cupid involved who said "I know this bloke who you'll hit it off with."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Grease Monkey

While there is some truth in what you write, biological attraction has its downsides. Studies show that people who marry later in life, when the brain may have more impact than the gonads, have a lower divorce rate than people who marry early.

I also think that friend introductions, until the coming of the WWW, were more common than you think.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

Re: @Grease Monkey

An argument for arranged marriages

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Grease Monkey

Well I think the evidence is clear that in many cultures arranged marriages do work. It seems to me that almost any two people who put their minds to it can live happily together.

In fact as someone who's been married for 27 years (to the same person before you ask), a lot of making a marriage work is determining to make it work.

Evidence from couples I've met and spoken to would seem to suggest that having a lot in common from the outset (in a dating site form kind of way) makes things harder.

On the other hand if the site is really supposed to be fancyashag.com then you can ignore everything I've said. Bumble then just needs to provide a veneer of question asking to provide those who need it with the half hearted excuse that they're looking for relationships.

It's this last one isn't it?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Many "arranged" marriages are not in the sense that many in the western world think they are. Most arranged marriages are little more suggestions by the parents. Yes, there may be a little pressure, but I know a few people, both male and female have said no. They give it a go, but if they don't click, they walk away.

No different to me dating the girl next door, both parents loved the idea,, but in the end it failed. No harm done, just had to avoid each others eye contact until I moved house :-)

5. Mike Moyle

"We're not sure exactly why the "Bumble" name, but the company has gone all out on it..."

Didn't I ever tell you about Bumbles...? Bumbles BOUNCE!"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Strangely, Wolfe and other Tinder cofounders who have left the upstart still list Tinder as their current employees."

Employer. I, therefore, believe nothing in this article.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why bumble?

It was going to be called fumble.com but that domain name was taken.

8. KrisMac

That name suggests to me...

... that these Bee's might be for the Birds...

1. VinceH

Re: That name suggests to me...

"... that these Bee's might be for the Birds..."

When I was younger, my parents told me all about the birds and the bees - but I never believed them, because quite apart from the nonsense that is birds and insects interbreeding, it seems to me that the bees would very likely end up stinging the birds.

9. earl grey
    Trollface

Bumble?

I thought you said Bungle...

10. SoaG

I'm shocked! Shocked!

To learn that an app with the sole purpose of facilitating casual sex with strangers would have a surplus of creepy guys.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm shocked! Shocked!

I doubt the kind of girls on it would come as much of a surprise either.......

11. Turtle

Close.

"Wolfe is said to be close to one of Bumble's reported financial backers,..."

Wink wink nudge nudge.

12. mt_head

That's the way the bee bumbles

Bumbles

Down on your knees again

Saying please again no, no, no

No

13. Winkypop Silver badge

Cry Wolfe

Nothing, I just wanted to use the title.

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

kids,

money, sense (un-common), statistics. Let them be.

16. Jonathan Richards 1

What the Dickens?

Mr Bumble, beadle in Oliver Twist is not a good association, but maybe they're not aiming at the Charles Dickens readership end of the demographic.

17. Bernard M. Orwell

You've gotta be nuts...

....as a bloke, to sign up to one of these sites.

Right now, the media, and especially it's wife, are up in arms and hatred against any man they can find who might have been offensive, creepy or sexist in any manner by any definition that they may think of in that precise second.

Being signed up to a dating site makes you a "creep" in their books immediately.

My advice? stop interacting with women; it's never going to work out in your favour!

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Happy

Re: stop interacting with women; it's never going to work out in your favour!

Wow, someone's got issues. Is it half of the worlds population, or you?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like