back to article Businessman takes Google to High Court to block online abuse from search results

The case of former Morgan Stanley banker Daniel Hegglin, who is attempting to compel Google to block anonymous abusive posts against him, opened in the High Court today. The defamatory postings amount to a campaign of anonymous abuse against Hegglin, and include allegations that he is "a murderer, a Nazi, a Ku Klux Klan …

1. Ashton Black

A bit strange...

"anonymous abusive posts against him."

Posted to what? A website? Then he should go after the web sit. Twitter? Then go after them.... Facebook? Well, you get the picture. Surely going after Google, will just have a severe Streisand effect?

Also, one only has too look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_search_engines to find an alternative search engine.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A bit strange...

I do wonder if credit reporting companies will be next.

1. GreggS

They damn well should be next!

1. Why Not?

Agree not sure why credit agencies get away with defaming some people without evidence or penalty.

2. Roo
        Windows

"I do wonder if credit reporting companies will be next."

I can't see many people shedding a tear if that were to happen, although charlatans wanting to acquire a veneer of legitimacy maybe irritated of having to find another way short-cut around due diligence.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Unfortunately reg seems to have little more info than an RSS feed on this one.

For once the BBC has a more informative article. To get the general idea:

"Posted to what? A website? Then he should go after the web sit. Twitter? Then go after them."

"The businessman claimed there were more than 3,600 websites containing abusive and untrue material about him"...."He was seeking a legal order to force Google to take steps to prevent the abusive posts being processed in search"

This is different to the right to be forgotten, he is after a block on incorrect information, not out of date information.

3. Warm Braw

Streisand effect is presumably what he wants

In the case of Babs, she was trying to suppress factual information and this drew attention to the information she wanted hidden. In this case, it's presumably to Mr Hegglin's advantage for it to be widely known that the information he complains about is not true - it can hardly make things worse for him, by the sound of it.

Secondly, it sounds that these untruths are becoming a meme as a result of self-reinforcement: if you search for his name, you are presented with information that tends to confirm any pre-existing conspiracy theory you might have.

By republishing the information, even as excerpts - and that, in essence is what search engines do - and then directing readers to the full text, they undoubtedly play a role, albeit unwittingly, in propagating these falsehoods.

Were I Mr. Hegglin, I'd want Google to do as much as they reasonably could to dampen the positive feedback loop, because I'd otherwise have to spend a lifetime playing whack-a-troll.

The argument that "it's the internet" and therefore not bound by laws, taxes, or anything that might make life difficult for freewheeling multinational corporations is wearing a bit thin.

2. Haku

You know that old dragged up phrase "the internet never forgets" ?

Well unfortunately it does sometimes, when nobody cares enough to create a backup or archive of it somehow and the website owner loses interest in the site so stops paying for hosting.

Two sites that I may want to gain information from in the future but have disappeared 'into the ether' and don't appear to have copies on archive.org are the forums on misticriver.net which dealt with iRiver products in their heyday (I still regularly use my H140 with 80gb HD) and forum.eeeuser.com which used to contain an absolute goldmine of information for the Asus Eee devices.

3. MJI Silver badge

Mr Bean

Yes I did see that.

I can imagine it now.

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

"Google has asked Hegglin to provide a list of web links to be removed"

So wait, he's bitched that Google won't remove these links and is suing, but he can't be bothered to actually list out the links? What? Am I reading that wrong?

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

I suppose he could have sent them a screenshot of a google search.

I tried it myself just now. Someone's put a facebook page together and got it to the top somehow.

2. John Tserkezis

"So wait, he's bitched that Google won't remove these links and is suing, but he can't be bothered to actually list out the links? What? Am I reading that wrong?"

Yep, third story today that has someone vying for the crybaby of the week award.

5. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Oh.

I mean, just, like,... Wow!

Did we set off a moderatorial Claymore mine on this thread?!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh.

So we are dealing with UK defamation laws here - and a defamation case. So moderators will always err on the side of caution - which appears to be the case with you, Vladimir.

But guys - no links to any abusive messages, OK?

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Oh.

Moderator is the law on a forum. Whatever he says - goes. I'm OK with that.

I was just surprised to be nuked as I didn't think there was anything remotely defamatory of that banker in my post. Quite the opposite, actually...

6. Tom 13

include allegations that he is

"a murderer, a Nazi, a Ku Klux Klan sympathiser, a paedophile, a corrupt businessman who has accepted bribes from state officials, an insider trader, and that he has laundered money on behalf of the Italian mafia"

Wait, I thought Google wasn't indexing comments on blogs. I mean, that's just your standard round of comments on Politico, the Huffington Post, and (I'm told) Anonymous.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

should be grateful

The defamatory postings amount to a campaign of anonymous abuse against Hegglin, and include allegations that he is "a murderer, a Nazi, a Ku Klux Klan sympathiser, a paedophile, a corrupt businessman who has accepted bribes from state officials..."

I'd imagine that lot on balance probably results in a net improvement in his reputation if only for distracting people from the fact he's a banker.

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    WTF?

Is the surname pronounced:

Streisand ?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like he p!ssed off

Someone in the Co$, this is pretty much the standard modus operandi when they want to discredit someone.

Cover all bases, incite moral outrage and hope one of the "charges" results in court time or worse.

There is an interesting discussion going on at the moment regarding whether Google can be forced to take down links to certain "confidential" material that normally requires spending a lot of time and money to get, however IMHO this borders on stupidity because everyone knows the whole thing is a huge money mill designed to extract it from the unwary.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like