back to article Pervert's Guide man's new book, an urban myths tome and Youth, an underrated gem

El Reg bookworm Mark Diston trawls through at publishing's top notch texts. Bad boy philosopher Slavoj Žižek puts Russell Brand in the shade with his latest cultural critique, while urban mythmeister Jan Harold Brunvand has revised his entertaining and enduring tome that's a goldmine for comedians and sketch writers alike. And …

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Thanks for the Koeppen review

My reading list just got longer - again

2. Anomalous Cowshed

Trouble in Paradise: From the End of History to the End of Capitalism

Forget this, read: trouble in Lalaland - essays on the sex life of a ping pong ball, by Anomalous Cowshed, one of the world's foremost bullshit artists. It's an eye-opener.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Are you suggesting that

you're a bigger bullshit artist than Zizek? Some things just aren't believable (and I believe everything Steve Bong writes).

1. Anomalous Cowshed

Re: Are you suggesting that

Excuse me if it sounds arrogant, but yes, I am a greater bullshit artist than this gentleman. Even my name hints at it. Try me if you dare!!!

3. David Robinson 1

Too Good to be True: The Colossal Book of Urban Legends

There already is a digital, on-line version of this, it's called snopes.com.

4. WatAWorld

It doesn't require much genius to know it is far easier to provide criticism when

Žižek has been quoted as saying that his work is to engage in critique, rather than to answer questions or provide theories.

It doesn't require much genius to know it is far easier to provide criticism when it isn't constructive criticism.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It doesn't require much genius to know it is far easier to provide criticism when

Err... Are you perchance confusing critique with criticism?

2. The Indomitable Gall

Re: It doesn't require much genius to know it is far easier to provide criticism when

Spoken like a politician. Politicians love criticism to be accompanied by a counter-proposal, because then they can attack the counter-proposal rather than having to defend the flaws in the current system (and no system is wihout flaws). This leaves us with a "disposable politic society" where we throw away all our policies and start from scratch on new policies, instead of mending only the broken parts. Nowhere is this clearer than in education, where every 30-ish years we swing between strict grammar-spelling-and-times-tables "basic skills" teaching, and let-them-be-free-to-create "holistic" teaching, instead of integrating the two (NB lots of individual teachers do go work resolving the two ideologies into a coherent whole,but it's never institutionally codified).

So it's good to go into some depth about the problems without confusing the debate by introducing one of an infintite variety of possible solutions.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Some BS

'Paradoxically, Žižek reassures us that: “Only a radical leftist can be today a true conservative,” and that he “hopes that the attentive reader will discern beneath the multiple topics, the communist horizon.”'

Makes perfect sense here. [If you can parse.]

1. The Indomitable Gall

Re: Some BS

Indeed. No historical society has institutionalised individualism and thrived in the long term. Modern society is a corruption of earlier family-like tribal structures. Individuals have used positions of trust (head of the household) and slowly mutated them into positions of "authority". Domination etymologically meant little more than running a household, patriarchy was just doing as your father said. But now these words have been corrupted by office-bearers to mean something more controlling and sinister.

This sort if self-interested individualism killed Rome. It was the increasing servitude of feudalism that triggered the French Revolution and the birth of modern democracy. Industrial capitalists' lack of altruism led to trade unionism and communism, but they only stalled the march of the current individualist wave which is set to bring our society tumbling down.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon