back to article HP, Symantec PAIR UP to fight off disaster cloud rivals

HP and Symantec are partnering to develop a cloud-based Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS) offering using Symantec software and HP's Helion cloud. This DRaaS software will run on HP's Helion OpenStack-based cloud environment with HP providing the end-to-end service based on underlying disaster recovery facilities, …

1. Ashton Black

Hmmm

Interesting, but it will have to be more cost effective than a traditional 2nd site DR/BC setup as well as the other players in this field.

2. FrankAlphaXII
    Boffin

Yes, interesting, but....

My degree is in Emergency Management so I may accidentally toss around terminology that isn't in wide use outside of the profession, I apologize if I do. We do try to use plain language as much as possible as talking in code is what you do when you don't want people to know what's going on.

While this tech seems interesting and worth looking deeper into, especially in regard to using their product for providing another layer to enhance in-house DR (HP's dreaming if they think they're going to convince anyone with a decent understanding of emergency management, business continuity and disaster recovery practices to replace their internal systems and off-site backup images with HP and Symantec's product alone), it may still not be deep and far reaching enough for Continuity Insurance in a number of places or from certain insurers. Reliance on a single solution is usually the antithesis of redundancy, and a major facet of BC is redundancy to support a minimum level of service in the event of an incident disrupting normal processes, so I wonder how HP/Symantec will address that glaring issue.

Also for some industries and critical infrastructure you can't outsource DR/BC functions for a number of reasons such as industry regulation (e.g. HIPAA, SOX, etc), among other reasons, so no matter what this won't work for them unless its a compliment toward existing plans and not a replacement.

1. Ashton Black

Re: Yes, interesting, but....

Agreed. At best, this is off site backup rather than DR, you'd still have to have a BC site and, as you say, this alone wouldn't cut the mustard in most places for lots of reasons.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like