back to article In a mall at the weekend? WORSE STILL, are you LOST?

A new indoor positioning system has been unveiled by Bluetooth grandees Cambridge Silicon Radio. The system consists of Android middleware which gives access to a database of indoor positions. While GPS works pretty well when it has a good view of the sky, indoor positioning is more of a challenge. The new SiRFusion library …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Technology

Or you could just use the same tech to sit at home and order it on Amazon

2. Elmer Phud

But . . .

. . . I don't want to know where I am, just where the hell I left the car.

3. ItsNotMe
    FAIL

Seems to me...

...that anyone who needs this device probably shouldn't be going out alone anyway.

4. /\/\j17

You are Here

Or they could just download (proper) Nokia's Here maps that has internal maps for things like shopping centres and railway stations.

The latter is down to a suprising low level, so even my local rail station is covered - that's 2 platforms and 1 booking office on the level 1 and the walkway of the bridge between platforms on level 2!

1. cambsukguy

Re: You are Here

Those expanded map items are excellent, look at Harrods sometime, amazing.

But, they don't tell you where you are of course unless your GPS does see the sky a bit. My view is that one can determine where you are in a shopping centre simply by looking at a shop - they tend to advertise clearly what they are. Finding the shop or toilet you then want is a cinch since the info is excellent and much, much better than some aerial photo downloaded using data that might not be available.

Mind you, I tend to get a passable GPS fix (i.e. not just a WiFi fix) in many places, like shopping centres, where I seem to have no sky. Not 5m accuracy I imagine but it does allow me to have the map at my location immediately at least.

5. Barry Rueger

Happy Happy Joy Joy

lone worker efficiency

The kind of euphemism that explains why trade unions are still popular.

"Jones, we're letting you go, as you spent five point seven minutes in the toilet, and another three point six at the coffee machine before returning to work."

"And just what were you doing in that closet that caused your phone to change elevation repeatedly and quickly for ten minutes?"

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Happy Happy Joy Joy

Nope, that phrase is the management saying "You're changing the ceiling lights on your own from now on, because your phone will now automatically call the ambulance to collect your cold, dead corpse before anyone important sees it if you fall, so it's now perfectly safe."

6. Alan Brown Silver badge

This would be the same CSR/SiRF libraries which included backdoor hooks for Carrier IQ?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought these malls want you to be lost?

That way you're more likely to wander into a store you wouldn't have otherwise visited and so spend money you wouldn't otherwise have spent.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like