back to article Amazon warming up 'cheapo web video' cannon to SINK Netflix

Amazon is preparing an online video-streaming service that will be stuffed with ads – and undercut rivals Netflix and Hulu Plus, it has been reported. The New York Post cited unnamed sources in reporting that Jeff Bezos' behemoth is readying a cheap version of the web telly service you get with a $99-a-year Amazon Prime …

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Facepalm

Yay!

An even shittier version of Amazon Video with ads? Sign me up!

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: Yay!

Exactly! I already dropped Hulu due to the ads (and because a lot of stuff want on there). How about they take on Hulu with a higher priced service without ads.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yay!

It depends on what TV you want to watch. We use Amazon TV more than BBC and yet have to pay for the cr*p on BBC by way of the £145 compulsory licence. So thumbs up for Amazon.

2. Andrew Jones 2

Amazon might one day learn an important lesson - the reason Netflix is popular is because almost every device in existence enables you to watch Netflix. If Amazon started there - they might have a chance.

1. R 11

This

I'm still baffled by why Amazon think it a good business decision to boycott chromecast. I'm not buying an Amazon branded dongle for my telly when the one I've got works perfectly. And as a result, when I'm renting a movie at the weekend, I'm using the Play Store for no reason other than Amazon won't let me watch what using the device of my choice.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Netflix: enter search term > "Not available to stream"

Amazon: enter search term > ads > "Not available to stream"

4. Carajp

No way

Never in a million years would I want a streaming service with ads I can't skip. I'm sick to death of ads. Netflix won't be losing me as a customer. I already avoid 4OD and the like. I've reached the point of preferring to go without rather than spending 10 minutes an hour or more getting repetitive ads shoved down my throat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No way

4OD is terrible! It also keeps having random errors on my TV (other catchup services work fine) - which means that last time I used it the experience went like this:

3 adverts, 15 mins of program, error in 4OD, restart program -- 6 adverts, 10 mins program, advert break, 5 adverts -- 10 mins program, error in 4OD, restart program -- 6 adverts, fast forward past first ad-break, can't fast forward without watching adverts, 6 adverts. Give up.

5. desht
    FAIL

So instead of my current Netflix service with no ads which works nicely with my Chromecast, I'd instead be paying for an Amazon service with unskippable ads, no Chromecast support, and which appears to be an extra over and above the current Prime video offering (which I dropped due to lack of Chromecast support, or indeed any Android support apart from Amazon's own devices). Wow, how could I refuse?

1. Salts

Yup, but you missed the cheap bit :-) I can't wait either, I just can't get enough adds.

6. h3

I have all of these services without ad's (Prime video (To be fair I get it for the physical goods part of it) / Netflix / Spotify Premium).

If any of them starts having ad's I will stop immediately.

7. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

Two questions..

Will it run on Linux?

Will it be as good as GeekTV?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And then there's the tech

Ads aside, at least in my experience Netflix has always performed better technically than Amazon. Don't get me wrong, Amazon still beats everyone other than Netflix (Hulu, PBS.org, etc), but when you get around to prime time (9 - 11 PM here in the US), you know you're almost always going to be treated to the spin of death and have to refresh. That rarely happens for us with Netflix, whose tech seems to do better than others during with constrained bandwidth or duriing peak demand periods. Once they started using HTML5 DRM as an alternative to Silverlight I was able to rip out a pile of Rube Goldberg work-arounds on my Linux media box in favor of Google Chrome with a web agent editor plugin. Although we cut the cord years ago we still watch a few movies or TV episodes a week. Right now most of that content comes from Amazon because Netflix is apparently not able to get it (mostly, I think, due to collusion between the studios -- Amazon doesn't need to make a profit while Netflix does, putting the latter at a disadvantage in rights negotiationsai). Still, we maintain our monthly Netflix subscription because of the content they do have that interests us, and as a way of supporting competition in the field.

9. FlatSpot
    Thumb Down

Amazon Prime

Amazon Prime is increasingly being used as an Amazon Tax. I would prefer they cut everything and just go back to offering next day delivery for £50 a year like the old days, instead of increasing it each year and then "adding value" with junk I don't actually want.

10. Brainphrozen

Bah Humbug

F$%k the ads I won't be paying Amazon anything if they do this. And these dickheads wonder why people go to sites like EZTV to get unedited video content. 5ondemand is so bad they even cut the end off episodes. Sorry Amazon but you can f&ck right off

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like