back to article We're not, er, 'cut-throat' capitalists – VC formerly known as ISIS

Not wanting to be confused with the vicious band of Middle Eastern warmongerers, ISIS Equity Partners has killed off its old brand, and is now answering the phones as Living Bridge. The name change was for fairly obvious reasons, as the venture capitalist doesn’t want to be associated with, er, blood-thirty, medieval cut- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I still think of Archer.

However, I like the term 'Vulture Capitalists'.

Or is that the El Reg team's nickname when Xmas shopping?

1. Tim Almond

Re: I still think of Archer.

The producers of Archer have had to ditch all the ISIS merchandise.

http://www.avclub.com/article/archer-drops-isis-name-suddenly-finds-itself-bunch-210378

No-one wanted to buy it, or they'd have been in the... DANGER ZONE!

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Phrasing!

Preying?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The goddess Isis has been known for thousands of years. The river Isis is a part of the Thames. No association with a gang of murderers (or venture capitalists for that matter) in any usage.

Anyway I thought the terrorist organisation that is neither Islamic nor a state is calling itself Izal nowadays.

1. an it guy

ISIL, or IS, or ISIS. These guys need to work on their branding. It's getting confusing for all of us, and they effected the murder of a dog in downton abbey (so I'm told), so really cruel people!

4. James 51
    Joke

Isn't living bridge the sequel to the human centipede?

5. Mtech25
    Mushroom

ISIS would be an interesting name for an IT company

I think they would run an extreme version of BOFH law,

"How dare you Infidel pig, install that application with out IT approval".

6. DNTP

As your party approaches the ancient river crossing, you see a crude wooden sign and collection box tacked to a dead tree that reads "BRIDGE 10gp TO CROSS". After some debate the chaotic evil dudes prevail and you ignore the sign and proceed down the road to the crossing. As you draw close to the bridge <roll Spot check> you notice that although it appears constructed out of planks and nails it is in fact a single piece of timber cleverly artificed into a bridge shape. In fact it is the dreaded and mighty LIVING BRIDGE OF HLLUNDAIN. And now that you are too close to escape it animates, clearly pissed off that you didn't pay the 10gp crossing fee. ROLL FOR INITIATIVE!

1. Captain DaFt

"In fact it is the dreaded and mighty LIVING BRIDGE OF HLLUNDAIN."

Whew, no worries then. I was afraid it might be a...

{Dun DUN DUN}... Gazebo!

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/98/Jul/gazebo.html

7. David Dingwall

You have to feel sorry for Oxford University, who have been using the name ISIS in their commercial development arm.

8. SimonStewart

Similar woe

Something similar happened to a company I heard of, now called Marketing Arts.

It had been Marketing Aids.

1. DNTP

Re: Similar woe

Like the company that was making AYDS and DIET AYDS candy when the HIV AIDS was becoming a huge thing. To paraphrase the guy in charge of that debacle:

"AIDS should have to change, THEY'RE the bad ones."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon