back to article Who is out there waiting to spy on you or steal your data?

The growth rate of digital attacks continues to alarm. According to PwC’s Global State of Information Security Survey 2015, the number of reported incidents rose by 48 per cent this year to 42.8 million, the equivalent of 117,339 attacks a day. Add to those the masses of unreported attacks and you have an awfully messy …

1. TheWeddingPhotographer

Live our own lives

“In the near future, when every man and woman may have 2,000 fixed IP addresses allocated to them, imagine a car manufacturer which has just released a fully cyber-connected car. Every imaginable part has a fixed address and is controlled by a free operating system,” says Amar Singh, CEO and founder of the GiveADay initiative.

“After selling 20 million cars, a major vulnerability, similar to Shellshock, is discovered in the operating system that the car manufacturer has used. This catastrophic vulnerability can cause the engine to die or switch off and bypasses all controls."

It strikes me that we need to start living our own lives again. Why does a car or your toilet need to be connected? Do we really need our phones to tell us how to live our lives?

Be free, go for a walk in the woods and leave your tech goodies at home and smell the air. Appreciate that nature is awesome, not the fact a SD card is now just a tiny bit quicker.

As individuals, It is easy to mitigate against most of the risks... Just be a human.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Live our own lives (I'm sorry Dave...)

So the Con-Rod in your engine is continually sending data back to the motheship (manufacturer) and gets a message bacl because you have red-lined the engine more than once a year and the whole thing stops working because you are operating it out of the tolerances laid down by the manufacturer? And happens to do so in the outside lane of the M1 in Rush Hour?

Sorry, please stop the world, I want to get off. This is not a future I really would want to buy in to.

Or it could be that this so called expert is just embiggening his own ego?

(Does he have a book about to be released by chance?"

2. David Shaw

Internet of Stuff coming soon - quick lets encrypt all comms!

Ooops....

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/267764308_Privacy_leakages_in_Smart_Home_Wireless_Technologies

(edited with a html link as the plain text link seemed to overflow...)

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Luddites reborn as clouddites

If you don't want it to be public then don't write it on the toilet wall - or put it in an email on a cloud provider - other than that, my attitude is "who cares?"

If I want to do business with my bank then I walk in the front door and talk to them, it's no big deal.

4. tom dial Silver badge

Upvote for the thought, but is there any reason to think there will be anyone there to provide services?

Retail banks in the US have been trying to discourage this type of behavior for decades, and while they have not succeeded, have made substantial "progress" in some places.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Enemy is YOU!

If you are stupid enough to fall for the trap of putting 20,000 parts of a car online (by purchasing it in the first place), then you get what you deserve.

You get what you paid for.

There are almost no good reasons for building connectivity into formerly dumb devices. Any of those reason will only favor the manufacturer and penalize the owner.

There are really good reasons for taking away connectivity from many existing devices.

No one needs a smart tv, smart blu-ray player, smart fridge, smart stereo, smart car, blah, blah etc.

What I do need is an eight port home wireless router that would have enough capability for the stuff I have now. Four ports is just shy of what I would like to have connected.

That would be the only thing I need to have directly facing the internet.

6. vikihey

You could be monitored by something you don't know as long as you have online activities. Once I was monitored by my father using a Micro Keylogger. It is a windows keylogger. He knows my FB password and other accounts. He is always here remotely spying on you without your knowing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like