back to article BEST EVER broadband? Oh no you DIDN'T, Sky – ad watchdog

The telecoms giant formerly known as BSkyB has been ordered to remove a "best ever" broadband ad after rival BT claimed it was "misleading". The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said the context of Sky's "BEST EVER broadband offer" in July had not been substantiated and was likely to mislead. Last week BSkyB ditched the …

1. TheWeddingPhotographer

BT moaning about accuracy

PMSL

2. Tweets

I'm a long-time Sky broadband customer... But when you consider they STILL don't have 5GHz in their wifi hubs, and their T's & C's expressly forbid the use of any other modem?

I'm really starting to think about moving elsewhere.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Really?

had my Draytek on there since I took Sky Unlimited BB in 2008

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Re: Really?

You say that like you think a Draytek is in improvement over a cheap shitty home router. Nope it's just a different cheap shitty home router.

2. TheWeddingPhotographer

business model based on acquisition, not retention

The issue is, they just want to sign you up,and roll you along. Loyalty isn't rewarded anymore

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: business model based on acquisition, not retention

>The issue is, they just want to sign you up,and roll you along. Loyalty isn't rewarded anymore

Loyalty is just a buzzword synonym for "you will get shafted in the long term".

3. Wyrdness

Though you don't have to use the hubs internal wifi. You can connect any wifi router you like to it.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Though you don't have to use the hubs internal wifi. You can connect any wifi router you like to it.

Or if you want to stay within the spirit of their T&Cs you could just buy a WAP and stick that on your network. Probably cheaper than an entirely new router.

4. Shell

Plug a your own router into the Sky modem. This is what I've done with the somewhat unreliable / dumb Virgin Superhub. I've a rather nice multi radio Cisco router that can handle far more traffic and squeeze that down gigabit network cable to the Virgin box & out on the 166mbit WAN.

5. Systems

For the record ASUS routers with the Merlin firmware work a treat with Sky Fibre. Lots of Google-able guides for "asus merlin sky". Billion routers are also fine with stock firmware.

1. eloise

It's not that you can't use your own device; its that you have to jump through hoops and over hurdles to do something which should be simple.

3. Vince

Sort of funny - BT clam Sky are trying to buy customers. From the Telco that gives £100 Sansbury's vouchers routinely...

But what BT are best at is the lock in - you must have our phone line they say (OK, everyone has joined that bandwagon of the big players), but hey take our broadband to get BT Sport and so on... all nicely tied in.

Of course Sky can be just as bad, but for either to claim they have the upper ground is a lie in itself.

Still, that's nothing compared to Virgin and its never ending "deals" that also require a phone line rental to achieve said price, even though they haven't even got the technical excuse of "needing" that line...

Gits the lot of them...

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Erm, you are aware you can get BT Sport on Sky aren't you. Sky OTOH have plenty of exclusive channels. The thing I don't get is why somebody would get broadband based on what TV channels they can get with it.

4. auburnman

"Gavin Patterson, BT chief executive, has previously accused Sky of "buying" customers with its special offers."

Clearly BT are incensed at the prospect of the commoners getting a benefit from dealing with a corporation. Don't Sky know you just lock the peasants into a 2 year contract (3 when we can slither it through) and ignore them until they are free to leave?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Of course Sky know that. They are no better than BT. They are also pretty stupid, sending numerous offers to "come back", knowing full well that when you sign up with a rival phone company you have probably signed a 2 year deal and couldn't come back if you wanted. Maybe if they weren't so useless at listening to customer complaints, didn't constantly ramp up up their prices and didn't want to charge you £60 for a cheap router to replace the useless cheap router that they acknowledged had a fault and refused to fix.Oh, wanting to charge virtually the same price for 40Mbs compared to BT offering over 60Mbs, and delivering over 70Mbs, when fibre was installed in the local cabinet...

5. A K Stiles
    Devil

It would be nice...

If the ASA or other appropriate body could actually enforce something that all the advertising had to show you the minimum contract period and the total cost for the service over that time, including all the line rentals and packages etc., and those figures had to be as prominent as the big monthly cost number and the 'up to' figure, oh and any download limits and some kind of minimum agreed speed at similar sizes would be nice too.

What? too much honesty for the marketing departments?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It would be nice...

" the 'up to' figure, oh and any download limits and some kind of minimum agreed speed "

I'd like to the see words "up to" required to be as prominent as the numbers, the adverts required to state if they are reselling anyone else's infrastructure and if so whose (so if you're buying diverse network you know you aren't going to end up with both links in the same cab at the same exchange - hi, Openretch),

And of course if they are filtering at all - on port, protocol, or just URI - a published list of everything that is blocked and why, with supporting docs like the order.issued by a UK court, requiring that exact URI to be blocked.

6. toffer99

Don't forget who owns Sky, and ponder why he's called The Dirty Digger.

7. Grease Monkey Silver badge

I'm tired of all this moaning about the use of the words "up to" in broadband advertising. We're not stupid. When we see and advert for a sale with "up to 50% off" we don't complain we've been misled when the item we buy is only discounted. When we see an advert claiming we "could save up to £250 on our car insurance" we don't complain when we only save £25. Why? Because we speak English and we understand what the words "up to" mean.

One thing that would be nice is a ban on ISPs advertising services in areas where they don't offer those services. We've all seen the billboards advertising fibre speeds where you can only get plain vanilla ADSL at a maximum of 8Mbps.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like