back to article Hey, it's ... Gecko man, Gecko man, does almost whatever a GECKO can

A graduate student at Stanford has successfully climbed a 3.7-metre glass wall using a pair of super-sticky gloves modeled on the feet of gecko lizards. Youtube Video The kit was developed at the California university with funding from Uncle Sam's boffinry headquarters DARPA. The gloves are covered with 24 little sticky pads …

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Cat Burglars Union Objects to This!

Takes the skill out of the job.

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Devil

"The pads are made of polydimethylsiloxane"

Sure. Now tell me, how many geckoes had to die?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How many Geckoes had to die?

Approximately 5.3 pints, why?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "The pads are made of polydimethylsiloxane"

" how many geckoes had to die?"

So does this mean I won't be saving 15% on my car insurance anymore?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Russian Space Program Interested

They are very much into sending Gecko's spinning in space !

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/02/gecko_no_more_space_s_x_lizards_dead/

4. Infernoz Bronze badge
    Facepalm

Glass, hmm..

Most buildings will have a lot of surfaces which are not glass or even clean smooth glass and the surfaces may not be able to take that much load! If I expected a visit like that, I'd add something to make the surfaces slippery or rough.

1. CraPo

Re: Glass, hmm..

"to climb almost any surface."

2. K
      Boffin

Agreed.. also the leg pulley was doing most of the work.. if you want to give a convincing demonstration it should be on a concrete surface, with the person literally hanging from it..

1. ukgnome

Don't be silly K

they only do that experiment with solvite wallpaper paste.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Have a +1 sir for that blast from the past

2. Sweep

"the leg pulley was doing most of the work."

what are you dribbling about? For a start there isn't a leg pulley- the climber is moving a sticky pad up with a foot platform rigidly attached, then straightening his leg to gain height. His legs are doing most of (ideally all) the work. The pads are the only thing attaching him to the wall. If you're suggesting that the climber should be climbing up using arm-power alone then you have clearly never climbed (or prussicked up a rope...).

5. Thecowking

Is this the same as

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/3322870/Gecko-lizards-inspire-Spiderman-gloves.html

Because it looks like it's 6 years later and pretty much what they said would be ready in 3 years.

Pretty fun stuff though, I expect it'll be useful on the ISS for tools and the like. And I personally would love that backing on posters.

6. auburnman

Even if they perfect the gripping operation so it is optimum for 'normal' building surfaces, I think they'll run into issues with the grip pads becoming clogged. Try it in the real world and the supergrip is bound to get clogged with dust and grit and become unable to make contact with the climbing surface. Possibly the next step in the technology will be 'switching off' the grip when it's not hugging a wall so crap doesn't accumulate.

1. Thunderbird 2

"Switching off the grip" is that anything like "reversing the polarity of the neutron flow" ?

1. James Hughes 1

Please be careful not to cross the streams.

1. 's water music

Please be careful not to cross the streams.

Especially at a urinal, that can lead to some big misunderstandings I can tell you

damn you Post anonymously checkbox

2. auburnman

Don't be ridiculous. if we tried something like that we could end up looking at a Resonance Cascade failure!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The gripping solution is mainly done by a simple angle of pressure applied to the palm/toe AFAIK in Geckos.

However a muscle type "expanding/contracting" application could work. Using air pressure or just moving parts (as some have done in the past).

It may be that the idea does not scale. There are no elephants hiding in the eves of houses see...

... though there were elephant sized Sloths, they used claws not sticking palms.

7. David Roberts
    Joke

Personal risk?

Just had an image of needing a piss whilst wearing the gloves.

Some significant time later having to say

"No, no Officer it is the Gecko gloves - I just can't let go...."

8. James 51

No one else thinking of no more nails?

9. Christoph

But will it work for climbing the Cliffs of Insanity?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Christoph

"But will it work for climbing the Cliffs of Insanity?"

I think I'd trust a Spaniard with a rope more.

1. earl grey
        Trollface

Re: @Christoph

pissing up a rope? how absurd.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Soon to be required equipment for pervs and stalkers everywhere!!

Just saying...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like