back to article Nexus 7 fandroids tell of salty taste after sucking on Google's Lollipop

People with Nexus 7 tablets say the latest major Android update – codenamed Lollipop – has slowed their slabs to a standstill. Google said today it is investigating the matter. The Android support forum is full of complaints that the latest firmware, version 5.0, renders the tabs unusable. And apps built with Adobe Air have …

1. dan1980

Err... thanks Wayne

"@docklobster @TheRegister @google again, I'd be pleased to know myself."

Wait - are we talking the Biblical 'know'? If so then carry on, I suppose. (But perhaps not necessary to tweet about it to Google - there's a better-than-fair chance they are onto that already.)

2. Peter27x

android

I'm getting quite fed up of buggy android (I've not yet updated to lollipop on my 2013 Nexus7) the damn thing crashes and hangs or loses some function on a weekly basis, resulting in the need to reboot. Does anyone else have a 2013 Nexus7 like this?

1. ThomH

Re: android

I use mine rarely because I use it for relatively limited things — web, email, Netflix, Hulu and application development — so I'm in the habit of turning it all the way off when I'm finished. That being an accepted difference between you and I, it's still speedy and working perfectly.

I'm a very casual developer so haven't tried the Lollipop beta and am still running ordinary 4.4 but I'll probably accept the over-the-air upgrade without compunction when it becomes available. My experience from owning an iPad is that these kinds of complaint tend to be very much about edge cases; I can think of uncountable iOS updates that reportedly had users up in arms but which were completely uncontroversial from my subjective point of view.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nope mine is perfect with lollipop. The 2012 nexus7 problem is asus hardware issue.

3. Marksngc

Got the Beta on mine and it's fine, bootup from cold is a little slower but once up and running it seems faster. the only issue I had is it removed activesync support out the box so I had to faff about installing the beta version of the Gmail client to restore support for it.

4. jbh1977

Running a 2013 Nexus 7 here, and no problems with Lollipop yet. I'd even go so far as to say it's a big improvement... so far...

5. Metrognome

Re: android @Peter

Actually, count me in on that too.

Nexus 7 2013 here and the update very nearly killed mine.

Loads of apps misbehave now, going into the Wi-Fi settings takes a good minute or two (to the point that I thought it would never open the Wi-Fi settings ever again).

There's definitely something wrong there. Under 4.4 everything went buttery smooth with no bugs at all so whatever is doing this to the tab is the software.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I had 2 nexus to update, The old nexus 7 2012 has the CyanogenMod OS instead of Lollipop and that was a great decidion, The device work like new, fast and responsive, with a new look and options.

My Recent nexus7 2013 was flashed to lollipop by myself and everything went well. The device perform

very well also.

I kindda doubt that lillopop wouldn't work too well on the older nexus and after reading smowhere that it wasn't going to be any faster and might even be slower, I went for CyanogenMod

3. ratfox
    Windows

Indeed

My three years old iPhone is not very functional, and my two years old Nexus 7 also slowing down. I guess it does show how fast devices are evolving, eh?

We're lucky that PCs are not doubling in power every year anymore, or they'd be creating 3D fractal OSes just to make us buy the latest hardware.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Indeed

Try again with the iPhone. iOS 8 had made old iPad 2 very painful to use, but Apple have just released 8.1.1 and they are back to buttery smooth again. I was on the cusp of buying a new one, but no need now it's perfectly good for another 2 years. Obviously it won't get iOS 9 next autumn, but it won't turn into a brick because it's stuck on 8.

4. Gannettt

I had wished I had snapped up a Nexus 7, they looked really good, and the price (around $200) was just right. Now with this 'upgrade', and the ridiculous price Google are charging for the Nexus 6 ($400!!) I think I'll stick with my old ipad. Google getting a bit greedy, perhaps?

1. cmgangrel

Nexus 7, 9 and 10 are tablets. The Nexus 4, 5 and 6 are phones.

Different range of products, even though they might be under the same "banner" name.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I had wished I had snapped up a Nexus 7, they looked really good, and the price (around $200) was just right."

The reason Google have gone up market is the plethora of good cheap tabs at the $200 mark. There's even some less good but adequate no-name cheap direct import 7 inch tabs for around $45/£30. Google have done the reference low end 7 inch design to show the hardware companies how to do it, now they need to try and show them how to do the premium market.

Here in the UK $200/£130 will buy a decent retailer-branded Pegatron-made 8.3 inch tablet that's bigger and better than the original Nexus ( a Tesco Hudl 2 is the device I'm thinking of). I'm sure there's equivalents in the US market if you have a look around.

5. Mark 85

Google finally finds out how it feels....

Looks like Google gets to join Apple and MS in feeling user wrath. Let's see if they respond any differently than the others after the initial "we're looking into this".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Google finally finds out how it feels....

The Googlers are just trying to keep up with the Jobs's. They heard there were massive profits to be made putting out broken software and bendy phones...

6. SteveK

Funnily enough, reverse was true for me. 4.4 had really bogged down my 2012 N7 to a crawl, trying to open an app or switch between them would take around 10 seconds. Did a wipe and reset, all returned to normal, updated to 5 when the OTA upgrade arrived a few days after that, all still fine.

Like Windows PCs, these things do slow down when they accumulate too much cruft and need the odd reinstall. Plus I gather a number of apps aren't quite suited to 5 yet, so cause problems - probably why mine's fine as I didn't reinstall all the junk that had built up since I bought it!

The iPad on the other hand does seem to get more sluggish with every update..

1. Jordan Davenport

Odd, that

I did a fastboot update to 4.4 on my 2012 Nexus 7, and all worked perfectly. I did another fastboot flash of 5.0 onto my 2012 Nexus 7 this past weekend, and the thing is nigh unusable. The fastboot flash means I did a clean install, including a factory reset, so apps weren't a factor. The Nexus 7, much like my mother's Transformer Pad TF300T (same manufacturer, same chipset family, probably the same EMMC), suffers from slow IO performance in general.

It's not a huge loss to me since I rarely use it these days, given my Nexus 5 is faster (and running just fine even with 5.0).

7. phil dude
    Paris Hilton

Is this viz?

That headline was worthie of Roger Mellie...

Sorry, I couldn't read the article...!

P.

1. king of foo

Re: Is this viz?

Agreed.

Ew,just ew.

...but all in good taste

Er...

8. FireBurn

Trim

Isn't this related to trim support?

1. Jes.e

Re: Trim

Seconded!

Had Galaxy Nexus with trim problem.

Also low I/O speed on flash memory devices as device becomes full.

This can be seen on any flash thumb drive just as it becomes full.

Previous android phone also suffered from this problem also. Did not have trim problem but flashing or resetting OS created free space which solved memory lag slowdown (temporarily) until I added apps and data back to get low free memory situation again.

If it's the trim bug, you can test for this by downloading an app which fills up all free memory and then frees it back up. This is a (temporary) fix for the trim problem.

2. getHandle

TRIM was supposed to be fixed in Android 4.3: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7185/android-43-update-brings-trim-to-all-nexus-devices

1. DropBear
        IT Angle

Actually, I'm wondering if it might have anything to do with encryption...

9. sheridan

My nexus 5 is noticeably laggier. There's no way I'm loading this onto my 7.

1. Anonymoist Cowyard

My nexus5 is noticeably quicker. I think you dont own one and are just an apple fanboi

1. roblightbody

My Nexus 5 is also noticeably quicker, and no problems whatsoever so far.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My Nexus 5 is also somewhat slower under some circumstances. Switching back to the home screen can lead to 2 or 3 seconds before everything appears, especially widgets.

10. getHandle

2012 Nexus 7

The Tegra3 chipset and 3.1 kernel in the 2012 N7 aren't exactly modern these days. I guess NVidia/Asus couldn't be bothered porting the drivers to a newer kernel, even for the Lollipop update.

1. Slacker@work

Re: 2012 Nexus 7

Have to agree my 2012 is starting to look a little tired but even so, after it updated yesterday I've had apps crashing since (even when "updated and optimized for Lollipop" ).

Hmmm Lenny Yoga 10 v2 for Crimbo perhaps....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Testing

Why can't the multi billion dollar Google afford one of each device, however old, to test their crap on?

1. petur

Re: Testing

Why do you assume they didn't. Think you're smarter than them?

There will probably be a perfectly good explanation for this, just like with many other bugs. Just wait for the fix. The more people complain, the faster they'll work on it (sadly).

12. Tweetiepooh

My 2012 Nexus 7 is like one of those old cars in movies now.

It splutters and crawls along, then suddenly (like in those movies where the protagonist talks to the old girl for one last race) it speeds along very nicely and then it sort of falls apart and the System UI dies and I go to bed/work/lunch.

The old 4.4 did similar but not so badly.

And every time I restart it I get an "Android updating ... starting apps" screen.

13. 0laf

+1 on this story.

Buggy, slow random crashes. Oddly able to jump through the login sometimes without entering the code. Firefox pretty fvcked up.

Battery taking ages to charge. Bring back 4.2

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My 2012 N7 has been slow for ages

When I first got my Nexus 7 back in 2012 it was a speedy little thing, and remained so until earlier this year. Android 4.4 didn't slow it down, but sometime around this summer maybe it slowed to a crawl, errors would spring up about applications not responding, and the thing would take forever to start up, open apps etc. especially when compared to my Nexus 5. I tried reflashing it, performing factory resets and so on but nothing seemed to help. From looking on sites like XDA Developers and Android Police it appears that the issue is to do with the NAND storage the 2012 Nexus 7 uses - the 2013 model is supposedly unaffected.

15. Cosmo

Nexus 2012

Last weekend I flashed my Nexus 2012 with Lollipop, so all the apps were removed and reinstalled afterwards.

I have noticed a few odd things. Like the poster above, I once did manage to "skip" the password lock screen which is worrying, but I haven't managed to reproduce it

I haven't had any crashes yet. iPlayer works properly now with no stuttering after ~25 mins. However, the tablet in general has slowed to a crawl. I can open the magnetic cover and wait around 10 seconds before I can enter my lock code. What is it doing! It's almost as if the NAND controller has a 5 second sleep built into it

1. mark jacobs
      Coat

Re: Nexus 2012

Did you check the source code?

16. DJV Silver badge
    Facepalm

"apps built with Adobe Air"

Bloody Hell! People actually use that stuff to build apps?

17. Chavdar Ivanov

No problem with my Nexus 7/2013

I had the developper preview sideloaded with no problems generally; on the day of the release I sideloaded the real version and again everything has been as smooth as is to be expected. I do tend to limit the number of programs running, though.

The WiFi draining bug of the developper preview has now gone, mine is now good for 2 to 3 days on a single charge (befeore I had to place it in airplane mode to be sure to have power for the evening use).

18. AnONeamus

Seems to be quite a bit smoother than Kitkat on my (WiFi) Nexus 7 (2012). I couldn't be bothered to wait for OTA and don't use Android enough to care about having to wipe my device, so I installed it from the Nakasi factory image for Lollipop leaked a few days ago. So maybe OTA isn't the way to go? Or I'm lucky?

19. Chris Priest

I loaded the factory image onto my Nexus 7 (2012) and so far (touch wood) it's been absolutely fine. I've come across a couple of apps that I reinstalled that don't appear compatible with Lollipop, but thats it so far.

20. Andrew Jones 2

It's really just the N7 2012 that is affected, and it's not even really related to Lollipop. It's more likely people are starting to use their Nexus 7 again after the update to Lollipop because they want to see what it is like, but they appear to have forgotten how terrible the Nexus 7 2012 had become BEFORE the Lollipop update. I factory flashed Lollipop on to mine, and it wasn't terribly usable before the flash. The method of getting Lollipop onto the tablet whether via OTA or factory flash makes no difference, the problem of shitty NAND is hardware not software and one of the few things that helps (which of course a factory flash does anyway) is clear /cache which will bring the tablet back to life again for a few days.

It is worth noting - that the tablet does in fact run speedier between slowdowns - and in my experience the slowdowns thus far have been cause by heavier IO use, in particular - when updating or installing something via the Play Store - because ART uses more space than DALVIK did - the tablet spends a longer time writing to NAND and you might as well not bother touching the tablet while that process is ongoing.

21. Roger Garner
    Meh

My Nexus 5 ran like crap for about an hour after the update. Swiping between screens juddered, the lock screen would take a few seconds to respond to pin code input. I'm assuming it was just doing something silently in the background because the next morning it was back to buttery smooth.

Now to find a replacement for the gallery app - photos is a poor substitute due to mostly ignoring folders (I don't want to see my stuff in date order all the time.... I have work/project folders for a reason!). Except all the ones I've tried to install from Google Play end in an 'Unknown error code during application installation: "-505". Joy.

The Nexus 10 was pretty similar except it's still running a bit crap a day later. Lock screen takes a few seconds to respond even turning on/off, clicking an app can take 2-3 seconds before the OS acknowledges the touch. Chrome even runs like it was Firefox, even opening a new tab takes few seconds to respond. This is fast however compared to the 2-3 hours after the update finished when the tablet was sometimes taking 10 seconds to react to any input at all.

The N7 is not being touched. Leaving that on 4.4 for now!

I'm looking at this positively however: it's not Apple Maps at least ;-)

22. KrisM

My nexus7 (2012) updated OTA, and touch wood (anyone got a forest handy?) it seems to be OK. We use it a lot as a baby monitor for a foscam, so screen, processor, wifi etc are used a lot, and so far so good. Its a bit sluggish but no more than before, and could probably do worth a clear out of cache. must check my 4 year old sons profile - he has a habit of leaving a number of games running, which obviously does not help things!

23. Irongut

No surprise

The latest version of the Gmail app is a total dog and the UI has regressed to something less usable. I gather this is the new Lolipop style so its no great surprise that the OS is a total dog too.

1. mrmond

Re: No surprise

Personal preference. I love Gmail now and think it's the best it's ever looked, plus now runs with any email account

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: No surprise

My first reaction was "what a POS" but after using it for a while I really like it - the interface works so much better on a small screen than the original version + because it runs gmail they have a lot more incentive to fix the bugs - and active sync works well too - sweet!

Change is inevitable (except from a vending machine) - I've been looking forward to 5.0 (on a Nexus 5 phone) and it's a big improvement - on a system that I thought was pretty darn good to start off with. Yes, it's different, but that's not a bad thing.

24. Emo

Nexus 7 2012 & Nexus 4 Sideloaded with Lollipop

The Nexus 4 runs beautifully, this update has breathed new life into the phone, I have moved on to a OnePlus One though, and seeing Lollipop on the N4 I can't wait for it on the OnePlus One :)

The Nexus 7 2012 runs like a dog - it improved slightly by wiping the cache from the Bootloader>Recovery menu but still frustrating to use, unless you are very patient!!

Time left and time to charge are great additions to the OS.

25. mrmond

Not running terribly well

But..my N7 2012 is loaded down with far more than I need and could probably do with a wipe and re-install. However, apart from a brief stutter of a couple of seconds in switching apps or loading a web page I had no issues with 4.4.4. Now I'm getting hang ups of 30 seconds plus .

It definitely isn't due to not using it enough to tell the difference. Firefox seems extremely bad, completely hanging the device.

Losing widgets ticked me off, I had a different clock on my lockscreen purely because I don't lke the plain Google offering.

However, Lollipop itself is a nice upgrade, notifications and general UI use feels nice. Just freezing up often enough to be frustrating.

1. Bob Camp

Re: Not running terribly well

Every time Google comes out with a major OS update, some people complain about how slow their tablet has become. It also happened with 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4. With 4.4.4, I get an occasional 5 second lock up. I also have never done a factory reset and have 130 apps installed. So yeah, I'm kind of expecting that. But it's also the nature of the beast. Linux is best with a clean start, which is a huge PITA and shouldn't have to be done, but at least there are third-party solutions in Android to backup the app data. For whatever reason, Linux-based OSs don't do well with patches.

There are very, very few people who have still issues with Lollipop and a Nexus 7 2012 once they factory reset and DON'T reinstall any Facebook apps.

1. mrmond

" It also happened with 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4. With 4.4.4"

4.1 ran perfect, 4.2 ran ok, 4.3 ran terrible and 4.4.4 fixes everything for me.

" I get an occasional 5 second lock up"

Yep, me too, which is what I said, but not 30 seconds or longer as I do with 5.0.

Firefox is the worst responsive app so far yet the same pages render quickly in Dolphin.

"have 130 apps installed. So yeah, I'm kind of expecting that"

mhm, I also said I'm not surprised as I have even more than that, way more.

It's nothing to do with being based on Linux. I haven't had Facebook installed since before my last reset and Lollipop still runs like poo a lot of the time. As I said, the rest of the time I like it.

2. Vic

Linux-based OSs don't do well with patches.

Eh?

I've been patching Linux systems oif one sort or another for over 15 years now, and they do just fine...

Vic.

26. Mark #255
    Unhappy

Face unlock anyone?

Does (did) anyone else use the face unlock on their 2012 N7? Is it still available?

The upgrade to Lollipop seems to have removed it on mine.

27. Jason Hindle

I did wonder if it would be an upgrade too far

For my first generation Nexus 7. I let my 5 upgrade, last night, and it seemed very laggy before I tried a reset. With the 7, I'll wait for them to work through the issues.

I have mixed feelings about the email/gmail app.

28. CFWhitman

Some kind of issue

This isn't a parallel (or at least shouldn't be) to the issues with new versions of iOS on older Apple devices. The change from Dalvik to Art in Lollipop should be making these devices more responsive, not less. This isn't just a case of newer software not running well on older hardware because the hardware is not powerful enough. The problems are an indication that there is a problem with the new software or the update process on these devices.

29. Magnus Ramage

Product placement?

In an advert posted in the middle of this article, first time I viewed it: "See why businesses love Lumia". Probably a coincidence, but great bit of placement!

(Declaration: I'm no sort of MS shill. I'm a happy Android user, looking forward to Lollipop on my Moto G. Although my wife has a Lumia 520 phone, the cheap one, and likes it. But I did think this was funny.)

30. Uncle Ron

SOP

Standard Operating Procedure. Of course MS has done this for the last 30 years. Google is just carrying on a glorious and time-honored tradition: A 'free' update nearly bricks your old, perfectly good machine, so you decide, after a week or two of horrible frustration, to just go out and buy a new machine with a sparkling new OS license.

Am I the only one who thinks that Google felt those pesky, out-of-touch, 2012 Nexus 7 users should go out and buy a sparkling "new" Nexus 9? (Almost nothing new, but it's not bricked by Lollipop.)

31. Nigel Whitfield.

Some niggles

My 2017 N7, like many, was getting pretty sluggish before the update. Last week, I wiped the cache partition, and that perked it up a little.

After that, I wouldn't say that Lollipop has made it significantly slower - I've long since given up trying to do anything else when it's updating apps, for example - but there are some niggles.

The Dolphin browser sulks and crashes, and switching between things in the Kobo reader app is definitely slower, though there's no appreciable difference when actually reading. Also, whichever font I select in that, I now get a sans serif one, which is just a bit unpleasant for reading in bed.

These days, reading is the main thing I use the tablet for, so perhaps I haven't noticed performance as much as others may.

1. Nigel Whitfield.

Re: Some niggles

OK. Spoke too soon; while playing with streamers for another piece here, I fired up Blinkbox and Netflix, and the former in particular was an absolute dog - trying to go to a specific part of the film was impossible.

I've also seen increased ANRs all over the place.

32. Richy Freeway

My Nexus 4 and 7 (2013) are running like greased weasel shit with Lollipop. My 2012 Nexus 7 though, well... Wish I'd not bothered.

33. JeffDenver
    Happy

Honestly am not seeing problems on mine...I have both the 2012 and 2013 Nexus 7's, and Lollipop on both. They have never run better.

Is it possible this is an OTA-only thing? I did flash Lollipop on both manually.

34. gloin

2013 N7 here, works fine

Didn't want to wait for OTA, sideloaded and it runs swimmingly. I use it for heavy web browsing, email, etc. with no issue.

BUT: the complete fsckwits at Barnes & Noble forgot to pay attention, so now the Nook app which previously accounted for roughly 2/3 of usage on my N7 will not install, and if installed, will not launch. BN customer service shills say "1-2 weeks."

Begs the question about just how fast BN is sinking and makes me worry about DRM obsolescence - which I probably should have considered before giving those clowns my money.

Also, what did they put in an eReader app that can't handle this upgrade?

35. ma ata rotse mimeni

new android 5 (lollipop) lagging

I've Nexus 7 (2012) tablet and always I liked googles products.

At first time, I regret downloading this new android 5 (lollipop) update.

"My Nexus 7 now is extremly slow, takes ages to navigate or open pages,. Sometimes I feel like smashing the tablet against the wall – so frustrating.

If its possible, I want to roll back to 4.4.4 version. But don't know how I can do that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: new android 5 (lollipop) lagging

Those who dislike Lollipop and want to revert , can load the CyanogenMod OS based on Android kitKat 4.4.4 . This is what I use on the older Nexus 7 ( 2012) and it run very well, actually faster than the original kitkat.

There is a newer version of CyanogenMod based on Lollipop, which I might use on my newer nexus 7

( 2013) because Lollipop doesn't work as well as the CyanogenMod does, in my opinion.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Same old story

I wish reviewers would be a lot more careful with their description of OS updates. It is always a similar pattern; Reviewers get hold of a pre-release that has no unnecessary junk, and compare that to the bogged down junk-laden systems they've used for a while. As a result they often report perceived improved performance, while the final release to customers has a very different feel. I've been around this industry for a while and have yet to see a new major release of any OS that doesn't require substantially more resources than its predecessor. That a new release of Android is practically useless on 2 year old hardware is no surprise to me ... unfortunately!

1. CFWhitman

Re: Same old story

You haven't really been paying close attention then. Windows 8/8.1 requires more hard drive space than 7, but it runs better on less memory and processing power (just to be clear I don't like Windows 8 much, but it is less demanding for memory and processing power than 7). Actually, it seems like Windows 7 was a bit better than Vista in that department as well, but that could just perception because of other issues Vista had.

Generally, Linux distributions have released with more features and thus more demands (though modest) on the system with each new release, but I have seen the reverse there before as well.

Of course, the general trend will be: a new release has new features and thus requires more resources, but that's not always the case.

As far as I can tell with Lollipop (after reading quite a few user experiences), performance will generally improve with the transition to Lollipop as long as you don't turn on encryption (which you didn't have before), except when installing apps, which will take longer. Also, Lollipop will probably be more demanding of storage space. This would be in line with expectations for the transition from Dalvik to Art.

37. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

"My Nexus 5 ran like crap for about an hour after the update. Swiping between screens juddered, the lock screen would take a few seconds to respond to pin code input. I'm assuming it was just doing something silently in the background because the next morning it was back to buttery smooth."

You know what it probably is? I don't think Lollipop uses Dalvik VM any more, the phone probably boots up then is rebuilding all those apps. Or it's doing the encryption. I assume it wouldn't take that long to go through pictures.. but it depends how many are on there. When it's going to update whatever, it probably should probably do a notification that it's updating your (whatever it's updating) so you know that's why it's slow. Good to know, I don't have to warn my mom off updating hers 8-).

38. Frederick Tennant

Hell, well it out now....

Well it look like Google had dropped the ball, its up to them to fix it fast, we are waiting...

39. ceebee

..well that was fun

My N7 was basically rendered useless by Lollipop so for the first time ever I rolled up my sleeves and rolled back the OS version... I actually rolled back to Jellybean 4.2.2 !

The N7 now flies ...I had forgotten how fast she was originally...

40. arober11

The device encryption is the killer

Had a play on a Nexus 5, with device encryption disabled all is well, but after enabling it the device is a dog, with noticeable app startup lags and random freezes kicking in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like