back to article You'll go APE for our new Gorilla Glass 4, Corning reckons

Corning has unveiled the fourth iteration of its Gorilla Glass – and claims the new see-through substance is twice as damage resistant as its previous version. It's also much better at surviving drops onto hard surfaces, apparently. Gorilla Glass version is used in the Apple iPhone and Samsung Galaxy lines, plus shedloads of …

1. Salts

8 out of 10...

Cats said their owner preferrrred it.

1. mi1400

Re: 8 out of 10...

I revealed it quite a long ago ... its not shatter proof ...

http://www.dailytech.com/Sony+Forecasts+17B+Impairment+Charge+Due+to+Poor+Smartphone+Sales/article36565.htm

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2014/09/18/sony_annual_loss_forecast_quadruples/#c_2304292

2. Camilla Smythe

Fnarr Fnarr

To make the glass so strong the Corning team drew inspiration from 17th Century Dutch glassmakers who discovered a technique for making super-strong glass called Dutch Tears, or Prince Rupert's Drops.

Tears and a Prince Albert come to ming [SIC]

1. Flat Phillip

Re: Fnarr Fnarr

Prince Rupert? When did he get that? I assume it was for outstanding services in providing a fair and balanced news reporting. It's good to see a (former? is he still Australian anyhow) colonial be promoted up to Prince.

1. Anonymous Custard

Re: Fnarr Fnarr

Aren't things that can survive a heavy pounding on the thick end of the drop, but if you snip or damage the tail end then the stress is released instantly and the while thing basically explodes in a shower of fragments?

So unless they're very careful in the design they may end up with "sweet spots" that if struck during a fall or impact will make the whole screen catastrophically and explosively shatter rather than just crack as most current phones seem to do (at least whenever I see some of the higher end phones people are using in day to day life, I'd swear more often than not the screens are cracked to some degree).

Hmm, yup - http://youtu.be/6V2eCFsDkK0

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tears and a Prince Albert come to ming....

... eventually, if you don't clean it up.

3. Zack Mollusc

I thought the primary cause of phones breaking was the duhsigners caring more about looks than practicality. Silly me.

1. Tim Jenkins

A random sampling* at our school gate would suggest that a combination of Iceland-mum curves, over-optimism about jean sizes, and Samsung devices stored in back pockets is a significant factor too...

(*carried out purely in the name of science, of course)

4. Chris G

Just a thought

What happens when you bend it?

Regarding the vid; Jamie looked a little more reticent than Adam, as if he had been roped into the job. Also seeing those two in corporate suits reading an autocue badly in Jamie's case just looks like a naff Shopping Channel ad without the plastic smiles.

Can't help wondering; if the airbag doesn't fire hitting that new screen material is going to be worse than going through one of the old ones, I tried going through one in the '70s not recommended but better than stopping 'dead' from 40 MPH to 0 MPH it probably wouldn't hurt but you would only do it once!

1. A Known Coward

Re: Just a thought

The only way you'd hit the windscreen is if you weren't wearing a seatbelt, and if you're not wearing a seatbelt and the airbag fires you're likely to die anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

you're not wearing a seatbelt and the airbag fires you're likely to die anyway.

Just you mean't

"you're not wearing a seatbelt and the airbag FAILS TO fire you're likely to die anyway."

It's one reason European airbags tend to be smaller than US ones is it is presumed you will be belted in, but they still offer good protection in a crash even if not wearing a belt.

1. A Known Coward

Assuming you are doing more than 30mph, an airbag alone won't save you from potential lethal injury. If you don't believe me google it, there are a few youtube videos showing the result of no seatbelt + airbag, plus the odd article/paper on the subject. All airbags are designed to work in conjunction with a seatbelt, not as an alternative to wearing one.

Assuming you don't sustain a head injury, there's a high risk of neck, back and leg injury as you slide off your seat and into the footwell, something that's only made more likely because of the airbag.

e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEkV70Pl5c8

2. usbac Silver badge

Yeah, my head took out a windshield back in the 80's. Who wore seat belts back then?

Come to think of it, it might explain a few things...

Maybe there actually was some brain damage, after all I chose to work in IT?

3. SolidSquid

Both of them have been pretty up front that Jamie has never really been comfortable in front of a camera. He's gotten used to it on Mythbusters, but since this isn't being done by the same team he probably just feels awkward again. Adam on the other hand is constantly doing public speaking events and is much more comfortable learning lines like this. And frankly, as ads go, this is pretty in-line with the kind of stuff they do anyway, so at least the ad isn't out of character

5. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Dutch tears and strained glass

Strained glass - dutch tears, duralex, etc is very difficult to break. I have dropped Duralex (which is another example of strained glass) plates and glasses onto a tiled kitchen floor floor plenty of times.

Nearly always the plate survives. Sometimes, it even manages to chip the tiles. However, once in a blue moon the strained glass will break. Trust me you do not want to be anywhere near when this happens. It is like a fragmentation grenade - sharp small shards fly out up to 5m in all directions.

Hmm... A phone with a strained glass screen. Why I do not feel comfortable with the idea of being near this when it is dropped...

1. Chung Leong

Re: Dutch tears and strained glass

I'm pretty sure the glass is laminated.

2. Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen

Survives a 1 m fall onto a hard surface 80% of the time. Great.

Sod's law dictates that the first time you drop will be in the other 20% of the time...

3. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Alert

Hmm... A phone with a strained glass screen. Why I do not feel comfortable with the idea of being near this when it is dropped...

Or intended target? Weapon of choice for spoilt famous people to lob at their staff

4. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Trust me you do not want to be anywhere near when this happens. It is like a fragmentation grenade - sharp small shards fly out up to 5m in all directions.

Indeed that is the property the curiosities mentioned in the article demonstrate. Of the tadpole-shaped glass drops:

The very high residual stress within the drop gives rise to counter-intuitive properties, such as the ability to withstand a blow from a hammer on the bulbous end without breaking but explosive disintegration if the tail end is even slightly damaged.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Rupert%27s_Drop

5. tempemeaty

That happened to my neighbor! It was a plate or bowl. It suddenly exploded and he was picking shards out of the kitchen wall for months.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

I have dropped ... plates and glasses onto a tiled kitchen floor floor plenty of times.

What are you, some crazy Greek party host?

6. John Robson Silver badge

time warp...

20 minute ad in 10 minutes...

7. Buzzword

Pretty cool

Yes it's an advert, but it's pretty damn cool, and I learned a bit of science.

1. Cliff

Re: Pretty cool

So Mythbusters have Apple suits and fucking xylophone music. It makes them seem more scripted and less credible.

8. Z80

They've done studies you know...

80% of the time it survives every time.

9. tempemeaty
    Flame

Fire & Heat tested?

Just a question. If the phone's battery over heats or catches fire, how will this new Gorilla Glass 4.0 react to that?

Fire symbol? Because fire. d(<.<);;

10. Shrimpling

Was plastic really so bad?

I never broke a phone screen when they were made of plastic.

1. ChrisC Silver badge

Re: Was plastic really so bad?

Plastic was fine in the days before touchscreens, but as soon as you start requiring the user to touch, tap, swipe etc. the screen pretty much every time they want to do something with the phone then the higher resilience to scratching you get with glass becomes a very welcome property to have.

It's also worth remembering that back in the days of plastic, the underlying LCD still had a glass front panel, and it was only the protective lens/resistive touch digitiser in front of the LCD that was plastic. So although it was damn near impossible to break the plastic by dropping a handset, the same could sadly not be said of the LCD glass - the *only* phone I've broken was one of my older touchscreen devices, where the plastic resistive touchscreen remained intact after the drop that caused the LCD glass to crack quite impressively.

11. MrWibble

That video was surprisingly informative - not the usual "its shiny and new, therefore it's better" advert.

The Mythbusters didn't get long to study the script though - it seemed far from comfortable delivery.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Just try reading from an auto-cue, in front of a camera, having to annunciate much more clearly than normal (for understandibility) and still sound natural and unforced.

12. Yugguy

The primary reason mobiles break

Is that they tend to be owned by gormless spacktards who spend their entire life gurning mindlessly at catz.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

inspiration from 17th Century Dutch glassmakers

aka Prince Rupert's Drops

I want to see - and here - that bloke actually say the above - with his face straight. On youtube, PLEASE.

14. briesmith

That's a Fail

Adam and Jamie; you shouldn't have done it. Should have left the shilling in the bottom of the glass. You've taken corporate dick up the arse and now you are fucked.

And I've loved you, in a West Coast sort of way, for years.

Why oh why did you do it?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: That's a Fail

> You've taken corporate dick up the arse and now you are fucked.

Advertising a company that employs people in their home nation? As companies go, I haven't heard of Corning being 'evil'. Unless you have evidence that the duo were misleading viewers, I don't understand your issue.

15. confused and dazed

1M ?

Who drops a phone just 1m ?

are there leagues of very short phone users out there ?

16. Joe_H

So what happens when it *does* break?

1) The damage to the normal windscreen wasn't pretty but was fairly limited.

2) The damage to a Prince Rupert's drop is all or nothing.

3) If the inner layer of the new windscreen uses the same method to get its toughness, what happens when you wind up the size or speed of the ball bearing and break through the windscreen? Does the entire windscreen explode?

( I know that iPhone screens can be broken without exploding, so maybe it would be an anti-climax, but I'd like to see it demonstrated.)

17. tempemeaty
    Happy

Transparent Aluminum?

If Transparent Aluminum can stop a 50Cal bullet, then it's got to be pretty good at resisting ground impacts. I would love to see if this would work well instead of all the glass being used.

http://dornob.com/transparent-aluminum-glass-like-see-through-metal/

http://makezine.com/2012/01/17/transparent-aluminum/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like