back to article Britain's HUMAN DNA-strewing Moon mission rakes in £200k

The UK-backed attempt to crowdfund a mission to the Moon has got off to a roaring start, raising over a third of its £600,000 goal in just three days. CGI image of Lunar Mission One on the Moon Lunar Mission One, which wants to get a new lander on the Moon in 2024 to give the space rock a deep drilling (and drop off some …

1. Tom_

£600,000

That's the money they're raising now, to be able to start looking into the planning of the mission.

They're going to need more like £500 million to complete the mission.

1. killakrust

Re: £600,000

India's Mars Orbiter only cost US$73 million. I reckon we could give them it to them to boost, and get the price under US$50 million.

1. Simon Harris

That's if India hasn't got bored of going to the moon by then - apparently Chandrayaan 2 is set to launch in about 3 years with an orbiter and lunar rover, on a somewhat larger rocket than that which launched Chandrayaan 1 and the Mars Orbiter (sadly, it also has a much higher failure rate).

2. Cliff

That's why I haven't pledged (because this is right up my street and I'd be in sharpish), I'm not convinced the budget is complete. Either this is the first round and will be followed by more and more begging letters, or it'll fold - either way it feels disingenuous to not lay out the whole plan upfront

3. N13L5

Human DNA = hazardous material

Putting our DNA on the moon is retarded:

If good aliens find it, they will have trouble to no end, given we are the most aggressive and unpleasant species this planet had the misfortune to be infested with. At least they should also put a warning beacon, telling any passers by to stay away from the moon in the name of their own safety.

If bad aliens find it, our DNA will enable them to design very specific weapons to eradicate us while preserving the planet for themselves.

So either way, its the idea of a nutter.

2. Simon Harris

Time capsule on the moon.

It's probably safer there than in the Blue Peter garden!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Time capsule on the moon.

I agree, and I can imagine the pitch:

"After a hair-raising launch, your precious follicle will journey to become one with the Firmament, set permanently (in a wave of other lucky follicles) upon the high dome of Selene herself. Comb over here if you want proof, we're not teasing!"

3. ukgnome
    Coat

I haven't read the articles and am assuming that Prof Cox wants me to wank over a rocket, and give him cash for the privilege.

Well if that's so then he has another thing coming

1. phuzz Silver badge
      WTF?

That's ... an active imagination you've got there. I'm getting a sudden urge to wash my hands after reading your comment.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Brian Cox wanted you to post money over for fusion, now lemme ask do people disagree with that?

3. someguy4

Perhaps you'd like people to wank over cold fusion like lenr tech?

4. AbelSoul

Carried away..

Have to confess to getting carried away on the enthusiasm of this yesterday and slapping sixty quid down. Woke up this morning wondering how this fool and his money were so easily parted.

Then I remembered rattling eighty quid on Saturday night, with ought but a hangover to show for it next day.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Carried away..

You sound like a good candidate, so:

I have an inheritance for you of FORTY MEELLION DOLLARS. Please send me $10,000 immediately as, erm, a release fee so you can be forwarded your full amount.

Dr Thor Juan Neine, (Lawyer)

5. Sebastian Brosig

obscene vanity

having one's hair sent to the moon should attract a stiff "lunar littering" fine

1. Tim Jenkins

stiff "lunar littering" fine

Not to mention the possible repercussions if Small Clanger were to get his little pink knitted paws on all that human cloning material…

6. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

Let me get this straight

So one objective is to take somebody's selfies and cat videos and drop them down a deep, dark hole on the moon.

Sounds like an excellent plan

More seriously, if that's what it takes to get even a little more funding into space research, I can live with that

7. Richard 1

Link to the kickstarter?

Any chance of a link to the kickstarter page? That would be just swell...

1. Chris Evans

Re: Link to the kickstarter?

I really do wonder how so many El-Reg postings miss including the obvious link.

Sloppy reporting.

1. Simon Harris

Re: Link to the kickstarter?

Did you try typing 'kickstarter lunar mission' into Google?

It's, err, not rocket science!

8. Captain DaFt

I'm tempted to contribute.

But only so that I could mess with future (possibly Alien) exo-archeologists minds by submitting a dog hair instead of one of my own.

(Troll the future, that's how I roll!)

9. Christian Berger

DNA living on?

I doubt it would live on the moon considering the harsh conditions. And unlike living beings a hair cannot repair itself. It'll just gradually decompose into carbohydrates.

1. MrXavia

Re: DNA living on?

Buried in the hole they drill so not so harsh

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so is the Moons surface Radioactive...

...or not?

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: so is the Moons surface Radioactive...

It's cheese, as any fule kno.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is already DNA on the moon.

The BBC notes that Apollo 11 left a bag of vomit behind, so someone's stomach cells are already up there.

1. Cliff

Re: There is already DNA on the moon.

So there's diced carrot DNA?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon