back to article Go on, buy your workers a smartphone. You know it makes sense

Choose your own device (CYOD), the latest incarnation of mobility device management, is being promoted as a smarter alternative to BYOD (bring your own device), with more benefits for everybody and fewer pitfalls. How is CYOD defined in the real world and what are the advantages and challenges for business owners, IT teams and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Buy a smartphone? In enterprise?

Given the typically ultra-locked down approach to most enterprise IT I've ever encountered, a combination of justified and unjustified IT paranoia, and cheapskate approaches to kit make employee smartphones an outstanding waste of money.

My current employers issue crappy Galaxy S3 minis as the standard handset. Obviously selected by a miser with very small hands. Then they overlay their outsourcers crapware email solution (T-mobile, that's your mention) rather than the Android stuff. Then they encrypt the device - good for security, but slows basic operations down to a crawl on such a low end device. And then they launch group policies that disable the camera (for "security" reasons, ignoring the fact that employees' own phones aren't confiscated at the door), force multiple PINS and passwords (no, we don;t write them down or choose easy to guess ones, honest), prohibit loading of any media files, and disable storage (never mind legitimate work use, we wouldn't want you copying any files, would we?).

Quite frankly, if enterprise IT departments had brains they'd be dangerous.

1. Oh Matron!

Re: Buy a smartphone? In enterprise?

This, sadly, is still the view of MANY traditional enterprises, and is the epitome of an enterprise that doesn't trust its employees. Until you disable EVERYTHING on a phone and computer, including USB ports, anything else that you do is futile.

Trust that your employees will do the right thing, and you have to apply only the basic of policies (PIN, duration until screen lock, etc.) You'll also need to invest in training for your workforce, as there are many examples within organisations where technical skills are NOT needed. We don't all read The Reg, for example.

However, back to the article: It smacks a little of marketing. CYOD from this crappy range that we've sourced from the lowest priced vendor…. Is what it's more likely to be.

1. James 51

If they disable the usb port, how does it charge?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"If they disable the usb port, how does it charge?"

They disable storage, not the USB port. That certainly stops the device recognising an SD card. Whether it is effective in stopping local file storage on the inbuilt memory I don't know because I haven't tried. I'm sure with a modicum of skill the protections can be bypassed, but I'm not going to breach policies and risk the sack just to try and prove I'm cleverer than the IT people. Given the paranoia in policies, it wouldn't be beyond reason to suspect that they can and will monitor remotely for breaches of policy.

If that's what the company want to do, and it has a marginal impact on productivity then it is their call, but they might as well have handed out dumb phones. Or gone with Blackberry.

2. James 51

Blackberries can have full device encryption and it doesn't slow it down. Good for email too.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Yup, I recognise that, only the Kit here is far far lower quality. They are so scared someone would steal one of their crappy laptops / smartphones that the security makes them all but unusable.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iphone 5s getting dusty

Here they buy iphones as standard which is why one is sitting in my draw getting dusty. Shame they did not get Sony Z1 compact

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iphone 5s getting dusty

We had a choice.

Samsung S5

iPhone 5S

Nexus5

HTC M8

The split was reasonably predictible.

20% N5

40% S5

30% M8

10% iPhone

We are an Engineering/Technology company, so not really surprising that the 10% iPhone owners all worked in marketing, pretty much everyone with a brain got an Android.

3. Phil W

Buzzword

Buying smart devices for employees instead of doing BYOD, particularly if you already provide them with feature phones, is largely common sense but something lots of organisations don't do partly due to costs but mostly due to politics. These days entry level smartphones cost the same or less than a basic feature phone from many corporate mobile network providers so cost is much less of an issue, it's really mostly down to the politics of the managers at what ever level used to be allowed smart phones when they were expensive not wanting all the drones to seem like they have fancy shiny gadgets now to.

Using these lovely (but utterly pointless) buzzword acronyms of COYD and COPE, perhaps those managers can be beaten round to allowing, since we all know how managers like buzzwords.

4. James 51

CYOD or more in more traditional offices you can choose to use it or someone else will.

5. Ragarath

Standard and BYOD

I am going through the process right now. New boss keen to get everyone connected etc. BYOD suggested as most employees complain about having to have 2 devices, the problem? No one want's to use their own device for work purposes. No one wants others to have their personal number.

So at the moment we are going with a low cost smart phone issued by the company as standard or BYOD if you want a different make or model.

6. ItsNotMe
    WTF?

Not new where I work

"Choose your own device (CYOD), the latest incarnation of mobility device management..."?

My Uni/employer was doing this years ago before the BYOD craze started.

You wanted them to pay for it? Then here are your choices...and they were slim. A Blackberry or nothing.

Now, Blackberry are history, and they will supply you with an Android or iThingy if you want it paid for. BYOD is now allowed, but with only limited access to some areas.

7. MachDiamond Silver badge

You can keep your "connected"

I worked at a small aerospace firm a couple of years ago and the salesdweeb wanted everybody to get iPhones so we could all stay "connected". The last thing I wanted was to be getting calls and texts after working hours. I had to bitch when I found that some kind soul, probably the salesdweeb, connected my cell phone into the phone system so vendors and customers would be routed to my cell phone instead of the company investing in a small office phone system with voicemail. His email memo trying to generate support for having everybody get iPhones (could have been Android, doesn't matter) was met with my email that they could bloody well pay me up front for a full two years of contract cell service or provide the phone/service with the company on the hook for it. I think that most of the staff felt the same way and the proposal died a deserved violent death.

The big question is "why". Why do all these management zombies come back from their retreats with silly notions about handing around company phones? If the job involves out of office work, it makes sense to have a company issued cell phone, but for everybody else, a phone at the desk and voicemail works just fine. Why is it necessary for employees to access the company's network with their personal phone/tablet? They'd spend less time checking their FarceBook account if it was coming out of their own data plan.

Maybe I'm missing the whole point and getting free data access and kit at work by trading off-hours for it is the way things are now. I prefer to be off-line after my 8 or so hours are done. If the company wants me after hours, they can pay me on-call bonuses. Only once or twice has anything needed to be addressed after I had left the office. The rest of the time, dealing with it the next morning was good enough.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like