back to article China BLOCKS Verizon's EdgeCast before internet meeting

Verizon's recently acquired content delivery network EdgeCast has been blocked in China the day before the country hosts the World Internet Conference. The US telco confirmed on Monday that its service had been subjected to censorship in the People's Republic. EdgeCast said in a statement on its website that it was the latest …

1. TheWeddingPhotographer

They will soon learn

They will soon learn that if they want foreign consumers to flip over the widget and see "Made in China", they will need to accept that things in the business / economic / social / political / human world are a 2 way street.

1. Ashton Black

I disagree...

Do you think, that "Made in China" printed on the bottom of a gadget will put off people buying a cheap device? If this were so, then surely it would have happened already?

Without a concerted media and governmental pressure campaign then most people would not give a flying feck about where a device is made and I doubt that would happen anyway. China is currently in trade surplus of about $45 billion per month and combined with owning a fair chunk of US and EU debt, which one supposes, could be used to ensure trade compliance, despite their human rights record.

Re: I disagree...

You make a great point. Consumers wont give a hoot. It wil be companies like Verizon who eventually will get ground down by the pettiness, and not bother investing in the direction of China

1. Ashton Black

Indeed. Additionally it's a win-win for the growing high-tech Chinese companies. Competition at home is biaised towards them and they face less comparable restrictions in foreign markets.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Since everything manufactured in China will soon have Chinese government mandated back doors, a lot of electronics manufacturing will move out of China.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Why on earth...

Would anyone let China host the World Internet Conference ?

It's like letting Russia host the worlds biggest gay-pride parade...

Re: Why on earth...

"It's like letting Russia host the worlds biggest gay-pride parade..."

That would be a great day for humanity... Very unlikely though

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why on earth...

"It's like letting Russia host the worlds biggest gay-pride parade"

or dishing out the Nobel peace price in Syria

3. Decade
    Facepalm

Let's roll out DNSSEC already

GreatFire.org suggested thousands of websites had been affected, after China "DNS poisoned" edgecastcdn.net.

This is precisely the sort of problem that DNSSEC was invented to mitigate. The DNS root is signed, and the keys are stored safely outside of China. The .NET zone is fully secured. Why isn't Verizon signing edgecast.net?

1. Ashton Black

Re: Let's roll out DNSSEC already

I would suggest because DNS poisoning isn't the only tool in the toolbox. There is also, IP Blocking, URL Filtering, Packet Reset Spoofing and now they've started blocking VPN.

So then, if they want to block a site they will. Verizon know this and the infrastructure cost in rolling out DNSSEC, to them, out weighs the possibility that the Chinese government won't just include one of the other methods I've suggested.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like