back to article NOKIA - Not FINNished yet! BEHOLD the somewhat DULL MYSTERY DEVICE!

Nokia is back in consumer electronics with an iPad rival, the new N1 tablet, just six months after Microsoft snorked up its phone division. The Finnish firm has said that many more devices will follow. Youtube Video The Atom-powered, Android-based, mini-sized N1 enters a crowded marketplace with a price tag of just $250. It's …

1. returnmyjedi

Nicely specced but the lack of innovation or flair, something that Nokia of old sometimes had too much of, is very disappointing. The resemblance to the iPad mini is startling though; perhaps it's the Finns way of getting back at Apple for nicking the Lumia design with the iPhone 5C?

1. Stuart 22

A sensible strategy

The Nokia brand still has great value in the consumer market. Especially without the collateral that will dog blackberry to death.

I see this machine purely as a marker. To keep the consumer brand alive as Microsoft erase it from their products. It helps re-establish product marketing, sales and distribution divisions. In other words a foundation to build a business. Not the business itself.

It also puts them in the Android/Chinese manufacture model. Is anyone seriously suggesting they get back into manufacture of hardware & OS again? They have learnt that lesson. No, they will try and concentrate what they do best. Refining Android and the hardware to become the Waitrose to Tesco's Hudl.

There is space and done well could make Samsung look like an outdated out of town hypermarket when people want a next generation device to be more intimate, more trustworthy. Its something worth going for. If they can keep themselves focussed (unlike the old Nokia), some useful innovation and lots of luck.

Here's lookin' at you kid.

2. Bad Beaver

Yup.

I was also slightly taken aback by the sheer lack of … well the NOKIA factor. Bells. Whistles. A freakishly overpowered camera. Über-quality audio-recording. Inductive charging. Anything. Yes, the true fanboy inside my chest lusts for more, lusts for high end techno magic with a killer design, made 100% by freaky Finns in Finland, along with a bonkers ad campaign concocted by Britains finest creative minds.

On the other hand, this is a well specced effort at a rather low price and most likely just a first step. So I consider this a good sign.

I also saw a lot, and by that I mean a great many, very happy comments on the web today by people who just got "their" brand back. And that made me smile.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Yup.

Look at the price. This is a decent spec budget tablet. You won't get all those this without a significant price rise.

Nokia seem to be going for "cheap but good" unlike all the others who do "cheap and shit".

2. TheWeddingPhotographer

Don Jolly - Eat your heart out

And then.. There was just the ringtone...

De da da da de da da da de de da

1. Chika

Re: Don Jolly - Eat your heart out

I hate that ringtone.

2. CmdrX3

Re: Don Jolly - Eat your heart out

Not to be pedantic but it's Dom Joly.

3. cambsukguy

Well, that is all very nice but...

...does it run Windows?

1. TheVogon

Re: Well, that is all very nice but...

"...does it run Windows?"

+1 - no interest if it only runs Android.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really?!

C'mon Nokia, "Me Too!" products are what caused your downfall in the 1st place.

Innovate!!!!

1. Spanners Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Really?!

No. What caused their downfall was being forced to do what Microsoft wanted.

There seem to be two types of devices wanted nowadays - whether phone or tablet...

1. Hugely overpriced, locked down, toys with a dated interface to show that you have "arrived"

2. Android devices - more powerful ones at a higher price or cheaper/less clever ones.

Nokias problem was that they were being forced in between as...

Much cheaper than iThings but not as good as Android and not as shiny as Apples offerings but not desirable enough for the rest of us.

This device may show that they are back on track towards the mass market. Good luck to them!

1. Chris 3

> No. What caused their downfall was being forced to do what Microsoft wanted.

No. Their downfall was already well underway by then.

2. SpiderPig

Well that is a load of crap.

The downfall was created by a management structure that was too self absorbed to really notice what was happening out in the real world. They also refused to listen to all of us at the coalface on what we should be doing about it.

Nothing to do with "me too" products. The N9 was certainly NOT a "me too" product and had the potential of nailing Apple to the wall and putting a serious dint in the advance of Android.

1. danbi

"The N9 was certainly NOT a "me too" product and had the potential of nailing ..."

Then, the knight on white horse (aka Microsoft) came along and made sure none of this happened.

If the N9 was so superior, why was it not a huge success? I myself, being a long time Nokia fan wanted one -- but the moment they announce Nokia laid in bed with Microsoft, my desire vaporized!

The primary failure of Nokia was software development. Also, hardware quality issues. The design by itself was great and they had absolutely uncontested inside knowledge of the GSM technology.

But beat Apple and the rest of the pack? No way -- while Nokia was offering smart GSM phones, the others were doing pocketable computers that also doubled as a phone. It turns out, consumers were after the computers....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Me too?!!!

Bollocks!

Nokia was streets ahead of Apple with the likes of their N97, E7 and many other devices, but the herd didn't want to follow such innovation because they were led elsewhere.

Just wait until 3-5 years time when Apple "innovate" with an iPhone with a keyboard and wow, even a SLIDE-OUT keyboard!!! Such incredible innovation, all thanks to the spirit of St. Steve The Innovator.

Yawn. Meanwhile back in the real world the Finns just shrug their shoulders and crack on regardless with new ideas and making an honest living rather than the over-hyped US sh1t ........

5. Ribblethrop

'The design of the 7.9-incher owes a great deal to the iPad Mini'

The internal components are from a similar tablet released to the market in 2011? Or the rounded corners? Little Johnny will surely be irate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mine is 7.9 long as well, but much narrower than the N1 and the iPad Mini. It's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it.

6. Andy Roid McUser

No microsoft equals

You can immediately see the benefit of the removal of Microsoft form the company by the quality of the advertising. Hell , it's just an 8" android tablet , but with that futuristic deep bass soundtrack and elegant lines , suddenly I want want want.

7. Google

Good luck to em! With those edges, It does look like a large Iphone 6.

In the mean time, I'm not holding my breath for a n950/E7 equipped Android coming anytime soon.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks smart

Interesting design I quite like the look of it. Not sure about the Atom + Android combo though. Doesn't that rule out being able to use Netflix as it is ARM only on Android?

So essentially they are going to become an Android tablet and phone maker at the earliest opportunity. Meanwhile Microsoft take an expensive bath with that Lumia range of phones that they've bought off Nokia... Can't help but feel it is money down the drain for Microsoft. People will start to gravitate back to Nokia especially if they bring back a few classic designs with Android powering them

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Looks smart

Pretty sure most of the Nokia team of old are on the dole or have moved on.

1. SpiderPig

.."Pretty sure most of the Nokia team of old are on the dole or have moved on."

Maybe, but a lot of us are ready to join the fold once again......

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Bravo! Please do! There ARE millions of people out there looking for an alternative the US-Asian crap-xis!

9. petur

strategy

here, Microsoft, have our burning platform...

hey look, here's a new one

10. Phil W

Could this be a rather shrewd long term plan?

Get rid of Elop and any other staff they didn't really want, and get paid a huge sum for it.

Then a few years later start making nice Android devices with typical Nokia design and styling.

If they still have the talent pool available that created things like the N900 and never released N950, then they could produce some very interesting Android phones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Years later? Months it seems.

11. Salts

It is after all a Nokia

I am no brand loyalist but could see it doing well, what would you rather have a Tesco tablet or a Nokia? One produced for a supermarket or one designed by Nokia and if they went with sailfish as an OS I would buy one just to try it. However Android is a safe bet for them, Nokia name with Android you could do a lot worse.

1. mm0zct

Re: It is after all a Nokia

Is this what you're looking for?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jolla-tablet-world-s-first-crowdsourced-tablet

12. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

"Nokia said China would receive it first"

Next week: Nokia announce new fuels division, first shipments of coal to Newcastle expected in new year.

1. djstardust

Re: "Nokia said China would receive it first"

Receiving it?

Shipping internally from the local Foxconn outlet methinks!

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Well of course China will get it first

They just have to move them from the factory to the warehouse conveniently located next door. "Designed in California Finland" made in China is how it works, isn't it.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: "Nokia said China would receive it first"

"first shipments of coal to Newcastle expected in new year"

That's not funny anymore. Coal is no longer shipped to Newcastle as there are no nearby powerstations that use it so there's no point. Oh! Now I see where you're coming from!

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: "Nokia said China would receive it first" @disembodied John Brown

That was never the joke. The North East used to have many coal mines, and used to export the coal to other parts of the country and abroad out of Newcastle. So the ironic joke was that there was no point in shipping coal to Newcastle because they had enough of their own.

Now the North East has no coal mines, and also does not export much of anything at all out of Newcastle.

1. keith_w

brown ale. lovely, lovely brown ale.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"brown ale. lovely, lovely brown ale."

Brewing moved to Gateshead quite some years ago and has since moved to, IIRC, Tadcaster in Yorkshire. They dropped the claim for regional protected status on the name on moving brewing out of Newcastle.

That's almost like the Nokia --> MS Lumia, to get back on topic

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The North East used to have many coal mines,"

Having been born, bred, raised and still live in the NE a few miles from what is now only "the site of" Westoe Pit, what was one of the UKs "superpits", I can only say "whoooosh!"

(For clarification, after most of the pits shut down, coal, mainly from Australia (Newcastle, I think), was shipped into the Tyne, hence the reversal of the "joke".

13. Anonymoist Cowyard
    Megaphone

Nokia laughing at Microsoft..

basically. They no longer have Elop and his trojan policies, no need to waste time and resources making products that nobody wants (Windows Phone, Windows RT), they can make things that people DO want.

Well priced, well spec'd Android tablets.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nokia laughing at Microsoft..

A vastly downsized Nokia using an OS they can't influence, competing with established Android OEMs like Sony, Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola.

I can see it working out really well can't you?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why would they WANT to "influence the OS"? Google are doing a fine job of that. What Nokia are doing, is delivering services ontop of that, making people want to buy their products instead of competing products, from companies like you know, Sony, Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola, all also have no intention of "influencing the OS".

2. John McCallum

I doubt many people bought Nokia phones because they had their own OS

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

basically. They no longer have Elop and his trojan policies, no need to waste time and resources making products that nobody wants (Windows Phone, Windows RT), they can make things that people DO want.

Well priced, well spec'd Android tablets.

They don't make anything. They are merely a Foxcon rebrander now

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Which is a shame as the Nokia mobiles division of old probably were probably one of the most eco-friendly manufacturers (insofar as disposable consumer products can be eco-friendly).

2. Anna Logg

Is there any actual evidence that this is a Foxconn design rebadged for Nokia? Sure, it's manufactured by Foxconn, but then they've been making stuff for Nokia for a decade or more, that's a whole different kettle of fish do doing the original design work.

3. Pookietoo

Re: They are merely a Foxcon rebrander now

On their way to becoming the new Apple then. :-)

14. Test Man

Not a problem licensing the name out, it's exactly what Google does with their Nexus tablets.

The bigger concern is why there doesn't seem to be a Google Play store. Didn't Nokia want to (abide by and) sign the contract with Google giving them access to the Play Store in return for sticking to certain specifications, etc.?

There is the possibility that as they are just "dipping their toes" so they didn't want to commit fully yet. After all, Android makes it a lot easier to create a product from scratch without having to commit to certain companies by signing contracts (as anyone is free to grab the open source AOSP files), and is probably part of the reason why they didn't go for Windows (even if it's "free" for OEMs, you still have to sign a contract and stick to certain restrictions, etc.).

1. dogged

> Didn't Nokia want to (abide by and) sign the contract with Google giving them access to the Play Store in return for sticking to certain specifications, etc.?

That's the main reason why they never went Android in the first place.

Nokia have an enormous investment in services. What used to be Ovi is now Here (or just Nokia) and supplies a whole lot of really good maps and other shit which Google would relegate to "thing in App Drawer that you never use because of all the Google services". That would have been basically pissing away everything they spent on making those services (which are still Nokia, not Microsoft) excellent.

Google Play was always the problem. Not Elop, not burning platforms, just Google.

Not that anyone here wants to admit it.

1. chris 17 Silver badge

@ dogged,

Really? Google where the problem? Google produced the OS!! Nokia had their own OS's that Elop stopped developing & stopped product launches, burn't his platforms and jumped onto the M$ rescue ships that sunk. Thankfully the Nokia Platforms look like they can be rehabited and start producing again.

1. dogged

@chris 7

Yes really. Nokia could have gone with Google but in doing so they would have scrapped billions of dollars worth of services and time spent on those services.

Instead, they went with Microsoft and got $2billion cash per year and somebody to buy off their sinking handset division.

Pre-Elop, you could accuse the Nokia board of many types of foolishness. Post and during, all they've done is score win after win in terms of shareholder value. I understand that you're personally betrayed because "M$" and tiles and not doing things you like so therefore everyone involved is simultaneously an evil genius and an absolute cretin but Nokia walked away with very full pockets and overperforming business areas.

As far as the board are concerned (and I want you to brace yourself because this may be a bit of a shock) it is not and never was about what you want.

1. DrXym

"Yes really. Nokia could have gone with Google but in doing so they would have scrapped billions of dollars worth of services and time spent on those services."

They wouldn't have had to scrap anything. I just said what they *could* have done. They would have had enormous latitude to customize the software experience and bundled their own apps and services.

"Instead, they went with Microsoft and got $2billion cash per year and somebody to buy off their sinking handset division."

And that's the only reason. An enormous hat full of money, or rather whatever passes for money coming from Microsoft - licences, software support, broken dreams etc.

1. dogged

Under the terms of the Play license, all Google services must be front and centre, all "own brand" stuff relegated to the App Drawer.

Which is pretty much the same as "deprecated".

2. phil dude
        Linux

maps and..

Well my defunct devices N8 and N9 , still have functioning maps, probably due to their being a seperate limb.

If this device might get Sailfish on it, I would say it looks nice.

I really like the idea of Android being a normal user process on my system.

I don't like being a normal user in the Android system.

P.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge

Re: maps and..

"I don't like being a normal user in the Android system."

Amen to that...

3. DrXym

"That's the main reason why they never went Android in the first place."

That would be a pretty preposterous reason. Lots of devices ship with two stores. Some even ship with their own proprietary store.

"Nokia have an enormous investment in services. What used to be Ovi is now Here (or just Nokia) and supplies a whole lot of really good maps and other shit which Google would relegate to "thing in App Drawer that you never use because of all the Google services". That would have been basically pissing away everything they spent on making those services (which are still Nokia, not Microsoft) excellent."

I don't see it stopping them from shipping their own suite of apps any more than Samsung ships its own suite of apps. I'm certain that customers would see the value add of having an offline satnav as a compelling reason to use a Nokia device.

"Google Play was always the problem. Not Elop, not burning platforms, just Google."

I find that extremely unlikely. If they *had* gone with Android then they could have skinned it any way they liked, e.g. giving it a look and feel consistent with their Symbian devices. They could have also shipped their own value add apps and store application. And they could have even produced a Symbian or QT framework over their OS to foster development on their platform. So they could have had a device which carried over all those Symbian devs and users instead of just telling them to get lost.

Instead they went to Microsoft where it was Microsoft's way or the high way. Yeah they shipped a handful of apps in the end but it was a weak effort as to what they could have done.

1. danbi

Re: Instead they went to Microsoft

One reason why Nokia was reluctant to jump to Android was the ongoing lawsuits between Microsoft and Android makers. They were probably thinking Microsoft is a safer bet.

Of course, Nokia should have stayed with Symbian, or any of the Linux based platforms they already had.

But then, it so happened that Microsoft was shopping for mobile device maker...

15. Himalayaman

Seriously?

The best they could come up with was a (Chinese) landfill Android tablet? Gg Nokia.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Admit it.

You stole that awful, awful Finnish gag from the FT.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Go Nokia

Personally, I'm really hoping it makes a come back

18. Ossi

One Question

Why?

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Another Question

Why Android?

Android is the big bruvvaaahh / X-Factaahh / OK Magazine / Hello Magazine OS.

Hopefully they will make it loose so we can put a Sailfish or something on it.

19. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Thumb Up

So now....

There's the Fruity Foxconn rebrander, and the Frigid Finnish Foxconn rebrander...

20. Jedibeeftrix

Type C USB and hi-res 4:3 screen in a metal unibody chassis - only needs Sailfish...

Please Jolla/Nokia, turn over the idea of licensing that hardware design for release with Sailfish?

21. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Interesting

It's interesting Nokia coming back into the devices market so quickly (Especially at the low end where margins are wafer thin). Did the Nokia big-wigs realise that their handset division was out of control and flogging it off and starting again with a clean slate was their plan all along?

1. Lars Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Interesting

I think they want to keep the brand alive. Nokia Networks is the main business to day but the brand in that world is not as visible. Perhaps one could as well call the N1 a Foxconn device branded Nokia and that is not to say Nokia has nobody left with experience with such devices.

22. boboM

Welcome back

Well, welcome back Nokia,

This time you made the right OS choice, pity about the lost time.

Rather clever of you to sell the non-selling phones to MS and keep the Nokia name to yourself (well, soon anyway).

Might even consider buying a phone or tablet off you now that it is not polluted with Windows.

1. dogged

Re: Welcome back

It's the Nokia Xn writ a bit larger, hence no Google Play because of Here again.

It may not be "polluted with windows" but it hasn't taken a great big internal creampie from your beloved Google either.

So no, you won't buy it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Welcome back

Can someone clarify if this is actually Nokia designed or if it is just a Chinese designed and manufactured tablet that they've paid to have their brand stamped on them and version of Android loaded to flog under the Nokia name? I was under the impression it was an existing tablet that they'd just rebranded?!

In which case if this is their business model then good luck to them, but I'd have reservations about the build quality and eye for design that once made them the cream of the crop.

23. Frankee Llonnygog

It includes an interesting new biometric tap sensor

labelled, 'Knock here'

24. chris 17 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

And they're back!!!!

i want to buy one just because :)

A shame they couldn't have got rid of M$ sooner. That Elop has a lot to answer for.

For those too young to remember, Nokia married style with function. Many innovations we now take for granted where spawned in the Nokia Labs, Polyphonic/stereo ringtones, Cameras on your phone etc.

Apple arrived on the scene as Nokia was stalling and carried that style and function methodology forward where Mokia where confused and blinded by the Apple light.

Can't wait to see what they come up with next!!

25. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Unhappy

Argh!

Windows Phone - right architecture, wrong OS.

N1 - wrong architecture, right OS.

26. RyokuMas
    Thumb Up

Interesting...

Here's hoping they're still rolling with their own fork of the AOSP, not the widespread Google poison everyone seems to be happy with these days...

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" Nicely specced but the lack of innovation or flair, "

Why does that remind me of other Foxconn re-badged efforts???

28. Conrad Longmore

It's the Z Launcher..

It's a hardware platform to promote the Z Launcher, isn't it? And then presumable a raft of HERE apps and other Nokia technologies.

It looks pretty decent, but it won't be in the shops in time for Christmas. :(

29. Magnus_Pym

Maps

I wonder if it will come bundled with whatever the old Nokia Sat Nav is now called. I know it was spun off some time ago but I really liked it on my N8 and the lifetime updates made the N8 pretty good value.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Maps

You can download the Android beta of that software from here.com.

It's got lifetime updates too...

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Maps

"I wonder if it will come bundled with whatever the old Nokia Sat Nav is now called"

I didn't notice any mention of GPS in the spec. If the hardware isn't there mapping apps seem a bit superfluous.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BUY NOKIA SHARES NOW

After all, all that anyone has said for the last 2 years is how well Nokia products would sell if only they had Android on them, so this is a dead cert for success, right?

1. John Savard

Re: BUY NOKIA SHARES NOW

Well, it would be if it had the goodness of the other Nokia products that inspired such comments. And if it used an ARM processor instead of going out on a dangerous limb with an Atom.

31. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Intel's marketing money

But it also refers to the possibility that Nokia would license out the brand to other manufacturers

Looks like they're already doing it. This has generous Intel support written all over it. Must be some kind of bonus for the 1st 10,000 Intel mobile chips sold shipped.

32. Christian Berger

The most boring product they could think of

I mean seriously, it's a crowded market, and that launcher might not be enough.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How many OS have Nokia developed for it?

34. John Savard

I don't understand why they're bothering to make an Android tablet using the Atom processor. ARM is the standard for Android that runs all Android apps.

People use x86 because they want access to the huge mass of Microsoft Windows applications, although it's also used for Linux because the Windows market has subsidized the price/performance of x86 chips and x86 lets you use more Linux binaries - people run Linux on the PCs they can most easily find and purchase.

35. Trainee grumpy old ****

I would love to see

an Android phone with a camera like the one on the 1020. I'll just keep hoping that it happens sometime.

36. x 7

totally pointless me-too product with which they'll have to try an ever-failing game of marketing catch-up.

this is their last throw of the dice to find a market - and its going to fail. They're throwing their money away. Far better they had found a new niche, rather than try to compete in an already oversaturated market, Again....

37. Zola

N1 will have an unlocked bootloader

Twitter

Maybe one day there'll be a Sailfish build for the N1...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like