back to article State Dept shuts off unclassified email after hack. Classified mail? That's CLASSIFIED

The State Department has suspended its unclassified email system in response to a suspected hacking attack. The unprecedented shutdown on Friday was reportedly applied to give technicians an opportunity to repair possible damage, as well as to apply security improvements. A senior department official said possible problems …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Post obligatory..

...why wasn't it air-gapped, super-locked down firewalled, <insert other completely unusable for any normal work bright idea>....just to prove that reader has no concept of how the real world works.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ...why wasn't it air-gapped,

I actually worked on a site where internal network was air-gapped from Internet. Every few hours someone would go to an standalone computer connected to ISDN line put in a disk into an Iomega Zip drive, run an application that downloaded emails, then transfer the disk to another computer connected to LAN and upload emails to the email server. Then the process was reversed to send out emails. It worked (well except software was an open relay) but it was last century when several hundred users external emails could fit onto a zip drive easily and Internet to user was fairly rare.

1. Allan George Dyer

Re: ...why wasn't it air-gapped,

"I actually worked on a site where internal network was air-gapped from Internet." - So, how did that work against email malware? OK, you're protected against anything not in the SMTP stream, but a simple packet filter could do the same.

2. btrower

Re: Post obligatory..

Thumbs up for you. I second that emotion.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are constant attacks

All major government systems are under attack constantly so you can expect more temporary shit-downs while they remove the trash from hackers. The problem will only get worse so get use to it. Thankfully they have plenty of prison cells available for hackers to spend a long time.

1. frank ly

Re: There are constant attacks

I think we can agree that wasn't a spelling mistake, even if it was fat fingers.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Prison cells ?

Even with the near-legendary attitude of US judges considering that the entire world is under US dominion, they'll have a spot of trouble putting Russian or Chinese hackers in prison for real.

3. Ashton Black

Re: There are constant attacks

Got to catch them first. I very much doubt any state sponsored hacking groups will be spending any time in the US.

It will get worse, I have no doubt, but don't delude yourself into thinking the US doesn't have cells of it's own. The Russians and Chinese also have plenty of prison/gulag places available.

3. btrower

More activity makes me cranky!

Things continue to get worse. It does not help that everyone is more concerned with finding and attacking weaknesses than they are with securing the system globally.

Reasonable security, well beyond what exists now, is *possible*, but sadly it does not seem probable. My own systems have taken a little collateral damage and frankly it is making me peevish.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hack on US Government.....

Why isn't the NSA on the list of suspects? They've already been found hacking into Congressional systems. Why must it always be THEIR bad guys.....when it could be our own?

1. btrower

Re: Hack on US Government.....

Re: "Why must it always be THEIR bad guys...."

That information is classified.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like