back to article Northern Ireland website leaves front door open, spills users' data

The creators of this Irish website may be fluent in the language of the Emerald Isle, but they are distinctly unversed in computer security. The Líofa (Fluent) website – a UK government project [PDF] – suffered not so much a data breach as a data giveaway. Users' personal information such as names, addresses, emails and phone …

1. TheWeddingPhotographer

It was the advert hacked onto the side of the site that really unravelled the lack of security...

Ar mhaith leat mé a Tarmak do thiomáint

2. wolfetone Silver badge

Dún an doras

That's "Shut the door" in Gaelic

1. tony2heads
      WTF?

Re: Dún an doras

Also a Czech celtic music group.

Icon - Czech Irish music??

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Dún an doras

Really? Is there a tribute act called Pog ma thon? ;)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

um...

"Northern Ireland website"? It kind of works, but I wouldn't say "Britain website", "France website", or "Wales website" so I'm wondering if "Northern Irish website" might be better?

Interested to hear opinions on that, as it's not the first time I've noticed similar.

1. Test Man

Re: um...

It would work if Northern Ireland, as an entity, owned the website. It sort of is, by way of it being a government website.

You could say "Northern Irish website" but it'd sound like a random website that happened to be located in Northern Ireland.

2. Jonski

Re: um...

So what would you call a website in New Zealand?

Is it New Zealandish, New Zealander or New Zealandesque?

The nationality on my New Zealand passport says "New Zealand"; my wife's Irish passport says "Irish".

4. Anonymous Dutch Coward
    Mushroom

No evidence

"no evidence" that the information has been accessed.... of course. They probably don't do any logging, central log storage, or security monitoring. See no evil, hear no evil etc.

5. Mage Silver badge

Irish Government?

It's Shirley a UK website?

Or is it part Irish Funded?

N.I. in Island of Ireland, but still in UK.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Irish Government?

Not Irish Government website, but Irish government website, i.e. a government website in Irish.

2. JJKing
      Coat

Re: Irish Government?

"It's Shirley a UK website?"

And stop calling me Surely.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Mission accomplished!!

"The website, launched in February as part of a campaign to encourage more people to learn Irish"

Obviously, in this case users will start with various Irish swear words!!!

1. TheWeddingPhotographer

Re: Mission accomplished!!

The short-cut.. drink more Guiness. The more I drink, the better my Irish gets

1. CmdrX3

"The short-cut.. drink more Guiness. The more I drink, the better my Irish gets"

Then you're not drinking enough Guinness. The idea is to drink enough of it so you can't even understand the language you're speaking yourself. Then have two more.

1. veti Silver badge

How do you order the last two?

7. Robert Helpmann??
    Facepalm

I don't that means what she thinks it means

She said that there is "no evidence" that the information has been accessed... in any way...

So how, in fact, did it come to light that the data could be accessed without someone accessing it? Skip the Guinness and proceed straight to whiskey.

1. veti Silver badge

Re: I don't that means what she thinks it means

"No evidence" doesn't mean "we don't know it's happened", just "we can't prove it's happened, possibly because we took one look at the logs and wiped them in a blind panic".

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

Trace it right back...

...to the bean-counter who said NO to the professional web development quote.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get three security consultants in

To be sure, to be sure, to be sure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Get three security consultants in

go on, go on go on

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon