back to article Bug fixes! Get your APPLE BUG FIXES! iOS and OS X updates right here!

Apple is swatting at bugs with updates to its OS X Yosemite and iOS 8 platforms. The company said that the Yosemite v10.10.1 update would address a widely-reported WI-Fi connection error, while users running older iOS devices would find their systems running faster and more reliably after installing iOS 8.1.1. For OS X, the …

1. Sealand

Yeah, but ...

That's all very nice, but when I slapped iOS8.0 on my old iPhone 5 it transmogrified into a battery-gobbling toaster until I reverted to 7.1.2.

It's now Mrs. Sealand's phone. Can I update it to 8.1.1 without toasting anything? It's not the phone I'm worried about this time, you know ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yeah, but ...

Clean upgrade or did you keep all your data and settings?

Seems to me that Apple's QA and dev team don't use "real world" devices during their development and testing.

Only takes a rogue app or two to screw things up.

1. Sealand

"Clean upgrade or did you keep all your data and settings?"

Battery life after a clean upgrade was down to mere hours just keeping itself alive. I tried everything. Wiping, cleaning, restoring, shutting off gizmos and apps. Everything.

Reverted to 7.1.2 and battery life was back to two days of normal use like it used to be.

"... there is a battery replacement program for some iPhone 5s that have faulty batteries"

I know, but my 5 is not eligible. Thanks for suggesting it.

1. Mike Bell

It's not unusual for the phone to be extremely busy for a day or two after you do an OS upgrade. Spotlight will be working in the background indexing your phone's content, for example, at the very least.

This was certainly true for my phone after the upgrade. It settled down after a couple of days and now uses just the same amount of juice that it did before.

2. mccp

I have IOS 8.1 on my iPhone 5 and I get the same battery performance as I did with IOS 7.

Apple did replace my battery for free last month though - there is a battery replacement program for some iPhone 5s that have faulty batteries - find the page here: https://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone5-battery/.

2. WonkoTheSane
    Trollface

Hmmm...

So "disabling" TRIM support on 3rd party SSDs isn't a bug, but a feature?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Hmmm...

If you actually read some of the more sane posts on the subject, you might have grasped that TRIM is not developed to a common standard. What might be ok for a Samsung SSD is not Ok for say a Crucial one.

It is a venerable minefield.

Why try to 'trim' and SSD when you might do more harm than good. Then the outcry about 'Apple borking my SSH' would be far larger than this. The lawsuits would start flying in all directions as well. Better safe than sorry eh?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I suppose that's why we have things called 'drivers'. Or we should do.

2. Irony Deficient

Re: Hmmm…

WonkoTheSane, Apple has never supported TRIM on third-party SSDs. Third-party SSD support on OS X has only been provided by third parties, typically by binary edits of the Apple driver to remove its Apple-only check. The change in Yosemite to refuse to load modified Apple drivers can be seen as either bug (to prevent the TRIM hack) or feature (to prevent unintended driver changes from being executed). My understanding is that this Yosemite change can be undone with a change to a NVRAM setting, restoring the pre-Yosemite behavior, if the TRIM hack is deemed more important than preventing the execution of modified Apple drivers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm…

The bottom line is that this has been brought about because Apple will not release the drivers to most manufacturers of SSD's. Let's face it, Apple does not manufacture them and has only released the drivers to, AFAIK, Toshiba. It's basically a way of forcing people to buy SSD's at Apple's rip off prices.

I'll be sticking with Mavericks until either Apple release the drivers (unlikely) or someone comes up with a better work around.

3. Slap

Is the loss of TRIM really a big deal these days? With modern SSDs and their advanced garbage collection routines I'd have thought that the importance of TRIM is not what it was 2 or 3 years ago.

To put this into context we're running a number of RAID 5 systems with modern SSDs built purely for performance. As you probably know TRIM commands can't be issued on RAIDed SSDs, or at least to my knowledge not, and everything is running along tickety boo - no noticeable slow down at all, even though by my calculations would suggest that the SSDs in one of our RAIDs must have been overwritten 5 times now.

Admittedly I'm running a 1TB crucial 550 on my home iMac with TRIM artificially enabled, but I am wondering if TRIM is really necessary - especially as I borked the data transfer first time round, meaning that I've already overwritten the SSD once without TRIM being enabled, and everything still seems to run like a rocket.

To that end I'm curious as to what you guys think regarding TRIM and its applicability these days

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

FYI

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/macbook-pro-ssd-trim,3538-5.html

Looks like it's almost always worth enabling TRIM

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All well and good.

What about the HUGE security hole that Yosemite opened? Yep, they broke 2 factor authentication on iCloud, making it totally pointless - all for your convenience...

http://www.tuaw.com/2014/10/31/beware-two-factor-authentication-using-sms-forwarding/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All well and good.

No, they didn't. Apparently you didn't comprehend the article you linked. If you want to use two factor authentication, make sure communication to the second factor isn't forwarded to the first!

As that article points out, the situation is even worse for Google Voice if you aren't using two factor correctly. Security is hard. Making more advanced security like two factor available at the same time you provide convenience features like making SMS available on multiple devices a recipe for people to think they're protected when they aren't.

Now maybe Apple and Google need to be smarter and not allow (or at least warn people about) the combination of SMS forwarding and two factor authentication...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The day OS X isn't plagued by WiFi issues is the day that hell freezes over

5. David Kelly 2

Still Broken :-(

Mail.app isn't fixed for me. Deleted emails don't stay deleted. Replies quote the "On ... wrote:" line. My MacBook Pro has more trouble with WiFi in 10.10.1 than 10.10.

Am prepping an external drive to revert to Mavericks. Or Mountain Lion.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Still Broken :-(

Would these 'undeletable' messages be in a GMail account by any chance?

6. Lallabalalla
    FAIL

Brand new iPhone 6 here, with all the latest software

You can open iMovie and Garageband (2 more pointless apps on a phone I can't imagine) and they just crash straight out to nothing every time.

SO impressive.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Brand new iPhone 6 here, with all the latest software

If it's brand new you have 90 days of full support from Apple. Simply call them or book a genius appointment, take it in and someone will fix it for you. Apple are not a company that just takes your money then doesn't want to know.

7. Gazman

Waiting until 10.10.2

Because third time lucky.

And besides, I like the old interface right down to its little raised and skeuomorphic buttons. Sigh ...

BTW, while I'm at it ... the skeuomorphic thing was always horsefeathers because of another Greek word - autopoesis (things taking on a UI 'life of their' own, in this context). See, it didn't actually matter that the kids didn't know, for example, what a floppy disk was, because, through exposure, they did know what the save icon was.

Ah well. Sad, flat modernity beckons.

8. Daniel Hall
    Joke

"Additionally, the update contains fixes for problems connection with Exchange, bugs in Mail, and problems with Back to My Mac and Notification Center."

Someone's not had their coffee this morning, even whole words are the wrong way round..

Oh well, it is friday after all - Time to give my remaining 10% .. no sorry I meant 110%

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like