back to article NBN Co screws lid on FTTP coffin

NBN Co has set in place the new rollout principles announced last week, in the form of a new corporate plan. Published yesterday, the 2014-2017 plan lays out the company's expectations now that the “multi-technology mix” has been set in stone. In the event that NBN Co is able to complete its negotiations for access to Telstra …

1. Tannin
    Holmes

Do I feel lucky?

Which lucky suburbs are getting the permanent real NBN thing, and which new digital ghettos are getting the low-rent short-term-only fraudband service?

We know that the provision of other "universal" nation-wide services like education facilities and civic amenities is massively targeted at Coalition-held seats and a selection of key marginals (see for example "Coalition electorates favoured 3 to 1 in Abbott government infrastructure spend" at http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/coalition-electorates-favoured-3-to-1-in-abbott-government-infrastructure-spend-20140615-zs675.html ) - what do we know (if anything) about the distribution of NBN construction, and why do we fear the worst?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Re: Do I feel lucky?

It could be worse. Most of the areas around here that were promised fibre have now been put on the fixed wireless list. Our 100 Mb/s dream will now be 12.5 Mb/s. Just as annoying is that planning permission for tower locations was granted ages ago by the local council but we can't get a date from NBN Co for when it will get built.

2. Fluffy Bunny
      Holmes

It's no real problem. Don't want FTTN, won't settle for anything less than FTTP? Go into your local NBN shop and tell them you want the "real deal".

Oh, but talk to your bank manager about a line of credit first, because you will need to pay what it really costs, and deservedly so. Now get your filthy hands out of my pocket.

1. dan1980

Want health care?

Want roads?

Want schooling?

Want a police force?

2. Tannin

Fluffy Bunny writes: "won't settle for anything less than FTTP? Go into your local NBN shop and tell them you want the "real deal". Oh ... you will need to pay what it really costs, and deservedly so. Now get your filthy hands out of my pocket."

Oh please learn some basic economics before posting such silly nonsense. As eny fule kno, in the short-term proper FTTP costs very little more than low-rent FTTN - around 20% difference on the project cost as a whole. Over time, however, proper FTTP is vastly, repeat vastly cheaper, because you only have to do it once. Abbott's sleazy FTTP scheme is good only in the short-term: it has no future or growth in it. By the time construction of Abbott's Fraudband network is finished, we will already be tearing it out again to retrofit a true fibre system with the capability to serve for many, many years - the capacity a real NBN would have built in from the start. Total cost of Abbott's cheapskate scheme: vastly higher. Total benefit: substantially lower.

PS: the "true cost" you cite is bullshit. That's the punitive price they will charge you to be the only house in the street with fibre. Of course that is expensive; you are doing it for just one house with no benefit from shared infrastructure and no economies of scale in either equipment supply or design and construction cost.

NBN: do it once, do it right. Much cheaper in the long run.

1. dan1980

@Tanin.

Not only that but The Abbott plan (now reality) forces Telstra back into the equation. We had a real chance to get rid of and replace what has become a limiting factor and a constant source of annoyance for many.

Instead we have yoked ourselves to Telstra once again. Further, we have adopted their policy of upgrading what they want, when they want, where they want, if they want. Both of these were problems that were designed to be fixed by the NBN.

I am reminded of a Seinfeld episode - "The Foundation", wherein George is being told about the assets he would have had but are being sold off.

Fast, universal broadband, futureproof, independence from outdated Telstra infrastructure and annoyance?

And now?

Not.

(Khaaaaan!!!)

1. Cpt Blue Bear

@dan1980

Its worse than that: Telstra don't want back in. They thought they had a great scheme to get rid of a massive financial liability in the form of the copper network. Their wet dream of getting out of their universal service guarantee was looking to come true. Instead we are going to have to pay to buy their dodgy network, pay to fix it and then pay to give it back to them.

2. rtb61

It did one thing though, it pretty much killed any broadband development for a year and that is just so far. Now hah hah, you will have to pay for foxtel if you want broadband on the HFC otherwise you will have to pay extra. Then there is slipping News corporation and Telstra billions of taxpayer dollars for a defunct service, blatant in your face public corruption.

News corp won them the election and fraudband was the payoff and stupid Australians got exactly what they voted for, gullible idiots.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have you been to Australia? EVERY field is brown.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    FAIL

It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.

NBN! I knew him well.

A plague o' both your houses!

- Apols to Bill S

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon