back to article Internet Society slams online 'UN Security Council' plan, snubs permanent seat offer

The Internet Society has blasted efforts from some quarters to create a "UN Security Council" for the internet – which would rule over the online world. The society (ISoc) is a non-profit organization that, among other things, helps guide the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), which develops and publishes crucial internet …

1. Dan Paul

5 "Permanent Seats"

So the UN has run out of patronage jobs to give to politicians I would not trust to shine my shoes let alone have any say in the "Internet"? Why in the world would there ever be a need for "permanent" seats anyway? Better to have the seatholder somehow be voted into office in some kind of democratic process, if only this weren't the UN where there is no democracy OR process only GRAFT and CORRUPTION!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: 5 "Permanent Seats"

Yes, this sounds like it is going to turn into the UN Security Council, where 3/4 of the council agrees, and one or two permanent members scuttle that agreement, or into a patronage role where bureaucrats from various ministries of communications, or the UN, or companies involved in the internet are going to give or receive favors in order to gain or influence appointments to the broader council.

2. JassMan
    Trollface

NETindenial Initiative

There! Fixed it for them

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...must be done!

They're misapplying the evergreen "Yes, Minister" joke:

1. Something must be done

2. This is something

3. Therefore we will do it

Because in this case nobody (besides them) seems to believe in even the first step.

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Re: ...must be done!

And of course it is all very closely related to Brazilian politics, Rousseff's desire to get back at the US Govt for eavesdropping her, mixed thinking about whether Snowden is a hero or a villain, and generally confused thinking. Good on the Internet Society for telling it like it is.

4. Mark 85

Nothing to worry about here...

Past history of UN itself will show that. First there's the shape and size of the conference room table (oh... and where the room shall be located as to city, building, and which side of the building), then there's the seating chart. This should take at least 5 years. Next comes the amenities.... coffee? tea? other? Exactly what each brand/flavor, size of the cup/glass, etc. Another couple of years. So it'll probably 10 years and several hundred millions of dollars before they ever sit down to decide something. Which, nothing will be decided except pronouncements of all their important work.

Carry on, all. Nothing to see or worry about here.

1. Salts

Re: Nothing to worry about here...

Not to mention how long it has taken them to get to this point in the first place, the world will be working in subspace by the time these clowns get to sit down for their first meeting.

2. BongoJoe

Re: Nothing to worry about here...

Just a thought. If it's an internet committee why can't they just teleconference in from home?

Or would the fact that this would offer limit opportunites for junkets, posh hotels and hookers on expense accounts make this a non-starter?

5. Lars Silver badge
    Coat

Perhaps

While it's so easy to criticize the UN we should remember it cannot be better than we deserve and that there are parts of the UN that are doing a very good job after all. "Throwing out the baby with the bath water" and such things.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Perhaps

I fully agree with you that there are parts of the UN that do a very good job. The World Food Program, High Commissioner for Refugees and perhaps the World Health Organization come to mind.

I remain very skeptical that this new body would qualify for the consideration I mentioned directly above.

1. Lars Silver badge

Re: Perhaps

@ Marketing Hack, I remain very skeptical too regarding the internet.

6. Cipher
    FAIL

Dear UN:

Don't you have world peace you should be tending to?

Do not impose some clusterfuck micromanagement on the Internet for the sole purpose of control and profit to your buddies.

7. ecofeco Silver badge

We need the UN Internet oversight, why?

I thought the whole point of the Internet was to be able to bypass the usual bottlenecks of information sharing, dissemination and closed groups.

I know. Crazy, right?!

Right! Back to sports and pron and cats!

8. Roj Blake Silver badge

If not the UN, then who?

I much prefer the UN over the US when it comes to running the internet.

If that means that reform gets bogged down in numerous subcommittees, then I fail to see the problem!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A rare example of self-sacrificing common sense.

The Internet Society.

Techies who appreciate the reality of things, and have both the morals and the guts to refuse the power offered to them simply because it would be the wrong thing to do.

Big thumbs up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon