back to article Pics in SPAAAACE!: Hasselblad sells for $275,000

The first Hasselblad camera to travel into space sold last week at auction for an astronomical $275,000. View of the first Hasselblad in space The first Hasselblad in space, and now sold for a cool $275K The 500c and 80mm Zeiss lens accompanied Walter M Schirra on the Mercury MA-8 mission in October 1962. Fellow astronaut …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Alien

And they said

Silver photography was dead!

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: And they said

I've got a few Hasselblad bodies, lenses, viewers and backs.

They are in a flight case in my attic. I inherited them a few years back, no clue what to do with them.

1. qwertyuiop
        Thumb Up

Send them to me!

2. Peter Simpson 1
        Happy

Those are extremely dangerous.

You should immediately post them to me for appropriate disposal in the only certified Hasselblad Disposal Facility in the world (which, coincidentally, happens to be in my town)

Seriously, if you don't want them, send them to me :-)

Or, if you want money for them, they are probably worth some. Nice cameras, and there are people still actively using them.

3. imanidiot Silver badge

I was going to say the same thing as those guys up there.

If you really don't do anything with them they are probably worth a pretty penny. Especially if the lenses havend yellowed with age.

2. Tom 7

The thing about Hasselblad is they dont (last time I looked) fuck about with standards. I would imagine you could get a digital back for this - and all the new lenses would probably fit too.

And I do know people with freezers full of silver in case the supply really runs out - you really cant beat it for some things: try blowing up a 50Megapixel image to a wall sized - ASA20 in a Hassleblad will make a good job of it.

2. Stuart 22

Secondhand Tat.

Hmmm - I've seen Argos Grade C refurbs in better nick than that plus you get a £20 gift voucher.

But then again it must have been NASA's first re-usable shutter ...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I still remember taking my first shot with a Hasselblad

I took one and could not advance the film. Finally, someone took pity on me and told me that I was not pushing the advance firmly enough -- it was like shifting gears. Beautiful kit and built like tanks.

1. TheProf
      Devil

Re: I still remember taking my first shot with a Hasselblad

Ha! I managed to jam one up at a photo show. The 'Blad rep gave me the 'your'e not doing it right you doofus' look. He then couldn't turn the crank and had to dismantle the thing to fix whatever I'd done to his battleship.

Later on that day I upset a Leica rep by telling him his very expensive SLR made a hell of a lot more noise than I'd expect for the price.

Ahh those were the days. Complain about noisy digital cameras and they tell you it comes out in the Photoshop wash!

4. Josco

When not if

When I win the lottery a Hasselblad is near the top of the list, but not as much as this one.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're normally pretty much that price anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like