back to article Free antivirus software, expires, stops updating and p0wns the world

Users who don't update their antivirus may as well uninstall it according to infection rate statistics published by Microsoft. Redmond said in the seventeenth installment of its Security Intelligence Report that machines with outdated, deactivated or expired anti-virus platforms were just as prone to infection as those without …

1. Ketlan
    Devil

Bloody rubbish

'Two unnamed vendors were behind 87.9 percent of expired anti-virus subscriptions, largely because the software was foisted on users as bloatware on new machines.'

Do I hear the name 'Norton'? Who's the other one?

1. ashdav

Re: Bloody rubbish

McAfee ?

1. Mephistro
        Thumb Up

Re: Bloody rubbish (@ Ketlan & ashdav)

You beat me to it! Good reflexes, Sirs.

2. Ketlan
        Happy

McAfee, of course. Bravo.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Exactly.

2. P. Lee

What are the infection rates for desktop linux users?

I know, there aren't many of us, but what's the percentage?

Is it less than 0.5%?

1. frank ly

Re: What are the infection rates for desktop linux users?

Also .... are there any attempts at Linux viruses/malware out there? I assume that most 'ordinary' people running Linux are not running as superuser, unless they make an occasional sudo effort while system wrangling or if they are foolish.

1. Big-nosed Pengie

I believe there was one Linux virus detected in the wild some time ago, but IIRC you had to specifically install it. I don't think there were any records of infection.

2. PCS

"Ordinary" people don't run Linux.

Geeks, nerds and fanbois run Linux. Ordinary people run Windows or OSX.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Now what was the need to answer a straightforward question with abuse and contumely?

I'm sure my octagenerian parents or the bloke that fixes my car (hi Joe) would disagree with your categorisation.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Geeze, I forgot to address the original question.

The rate is present, low to mild. Most people who know how to operate their Linux boxes know enough to avoid letting something be run as root. That leaves malware at the user's permission level only (save for some sploits).

If it has an OX, it can be compromised. Most often via the stupidity of the user and we've all had our moments.

These days, I'm at the point that when my firewall gripes about malvertisement from a particular site, I quickly sudo vi /etc/hosts and redirect them to 127.0.0.1.*

*The hosts file isn't big enough yet to merit the usage of emacs. :P

1. Cipher
              Trollface

@Wzrd1

I see what you did there...

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Geeks, nerds and fanbois run Linux. Ordinary people run Windows or OSX."

You mean sub-ordinary people. Power users and network types use Linux, *BSD or OS X.

Oh well, at least this OS X machine comes with Apples built-in antivirus.*

Microsoft has their own free offering, it's not the best, but it beats a stick in the eye or a rootkit on the machine.**

*Yeah, there really is built-in antivirus on OS X, though it's indistinguishable from having no antivirus software, it's so efficient.

**OK, I've manually killed rootkits as too. Still, some can be annoying, having watchdog processes that have to be hunted down one by one, then simultaneously terminated.

You know, the fun ones. ;)

3. MrDamage Silver badge
    Trollface

FTFY

Users who don't update their anti-virus may as well uninstall it according to infection rate statistics published by Microsoft.

User who don’t update their operating system away from Microsoft, may as well install virii themselves, according to infection rate statistics published by world + dog.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: FTFY

"User who don’t update their operating system away from Microsoft, may as well install virii themselves, according to infection rate statistics published by world + dog."

I've had *nix admins proclaim that Windows is a virus. I disagreed and defined a virus for them and they were forced to agree.

A virus does something.

1. Swarthy

Re: FTFY

"A virus is compact, well written, and supported by it's authors. Ergo, Windows is not a virus"

--Annon

4. Ru'

"...machines with outdated, deactivated or expired anti-virus platforms were just as prone to infection as those without the security measure."

Machines with deactivated security measures as prone to infection as those without security measures? No shit, Sherlock.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because they turn off the active protection when the subscription expires, surely?

I think the safest way to surf the net is an unpatched, unprotected Windows 3.x machine. Because good luck finding a 16-bit antivirus.

I assume most virii are 32-bit by now?

1. Gray
        Trollface

They just do a two-fer

Yeh, they're all 32-bit, but that don't stop 'em. One of them 32-bit virii just waits around for two 16-bit machines, splits, and nails 'em both. With Windows, anything is possible!

2. Stoneshop
        Thumb Up

I think the safest way to surf the net is an unpatched, unprotected Windows 3.x OS/2 machine.

Ran one, unprotected, well past its expiry date; never had a problem.

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Machines with deactivated security measures as prone to infection as those without security measures? No shit, Sherlock."

Does that mean that a broken lock is as bad as an unlocked lock? ;)

3. wdmot

The weird thing is that, according to the bar chart, "Off" and "Expired" have lower infection rates than "No Protection".

5. Rol

When you assist aunty to buy a computer I suggest you also

Uninstall all the bloatware, all the "hey this is free" for three months and then we sting you and all the stuff which will cost aunty dear.

Then install the free equivalents.

Set up her up with an email account.

Send an email to yourself from her account and reply to her with all the contacts you have that she might be happy to have, cc'd so they can see she's finally made the step and get in touch.

Bookmark some choice websites

Instruct her on the ways of the internet and how the pit of despair is bottomless, unlike most of the images she will stumble upon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: When you assist aunty to buy a computer I suggest you also

Of course the way to attack this is take 1 new fresh machine from shop. Connect to internet, download pcdecrapifier and blitz the heap o'crap out of there..

2. Steve 114
      Thumb Up

She'll listen, but not understand beyond the next 'send this kitten joke to all your friends'. Install TeamViewer with a permanent password and do her the favour of cleaning things up occasionally

3. Terry 6 Silver badge

Yeah, and not just aunty, of course.

My late mother took up computers in her 80s- without, of course. asking me what to buy etc. Trusting a crony to tell her what to get. (Expensive, full of crapware, and with lots of optional stuff that she'd never use). So as soonas I got teh chance I did all of that, and added some remoting in software, too. So that I could sort stuff out from 200 miles away. After the same crony used it ( suppsedly said crony was helping her, but that's another story) but who allowed all sorts of malware in, as well as messing the PC up big time.

Good free AV software, with automatic updates. No Admin rights. And a button ( icon) marked "help" if she was having problems.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

I've had people who WANT the bloatware.

I do my best to talk them out of it, but some people think they are being somehow shorted if the bloatware is removed.

6. Lee D Silver badge

I'm not shocked by the article.

I am shocked that only 0.5% of non-domain computers with antivirus report an infection. That seems FAR TOO LOW. And considering that NO protection gets you only 2-2.5% infection rate, I'm still not at all sure that the performance hit of antivirus is worth it.

Interesting that they don't publish statistics on "domain" computers (even if they could only find domain computers WITH antivirus) - presumably those machines are much more well managed by the simple assertion of a handful of security settings rather than loading up everything with antivirus.

To be honest, all those stats show are that antivirus is pretty much a waste of money. Use a free one and forget everything else. The free ones won't expire because you haven't paid your Norton tax, and people are much more likely to have installed them in the first place.

I was remote-fixing a machine only yesterday where they couldn't download TeamViewer because of the spam they were getting in their browser whenever they went to a download site. I asked what they ran. Norton. And they were due for a renewal. So I uninstalled it and gave them Comodo Free, given that Norton had obviously not worked at all.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

0.5% of a few billion is still quite a number

What would be interesting is to know the infection rate of people NOT using AV but using a few simple safety rules: don't use IE, don't browse dodgy sites, don't install random crap downloaded from anywhere, think twice before opening a mail attachment.

It takes some education to really do these, and anyone can fall in a dodgy site thinking that it is legitimate. But with the above four alone cuts the infection rate a lot without even using AV.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: 0.5% of a few billion is still quite a number

"...don't use IE, don't browse dodgy sites,..."

Sorry, doesn't hold true any longer. Malware is being served up in advertisements on otherwise honorable sites. Such as CNN, BBC, PRC government website...*

*OK, that last one is a joke, the first two are not. The get the malware ads tossed when they find them, but the malware folks now are quite well funded. I'll not even go into adrotator.*, I've got quite the number of entries in my hosts files, due to annoyance at my firewall griping at me.

And yeah, I do surf dodgy sites, but I wear a Computer Condom and have a rather expensive hardware IPS as well. My home network is a full enterprise environment. To the point where I receive thank you cards from my local electric company.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I do browse dodgy sites too, but that's what Linux + Firefox in private mode are made for.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Don't forget the most effective AV

A good ad-blocker.

I do find it strange how little work the advertiser networks seem to do on preventing the virus-laden adverts, as if they don't they will die.

I generally give a site two strikes of an annoying advert, then Adblock goes back on.

- Also, Adblock is a great little tool for blocking other types of annoying content.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Yes it is. Yes, it is.

8. Alan Denman

yet MSE =

Mass Suicide Entity.

9. Cipher

Faronics Deep Freeze anyone?

10. phuzz Silver badge
    Alert

Isn't there a possible selection bias here, that people who don't bother or don't know how to keep their antivirus up to date, are more likely to get infected by some kind of malware?

Those of us doing the tech support for auntie are more likely to; have up to date AV, not use IE6, run an adblocker/plugin blocker, not click on get rich quick schemes etc.

11. Alan Denman

indeed

So what are Microsoft telling vendors ?

And you have to ask why MS has not made running of AV a bit more mandatory.

You get a browser selection process so why not a 'free AV' one? They could include MSE in the list.

12. irsdl

Up2Date Norton will stop working in certain countries too!

Even if you keep your AV up to date with a valid license, it may stop working if you travel to an embargo country or in the same IP range. Norton/Symantec antivirus does that and they have confirmed this in writing as well:

https://twitter.com/NortonSupport/status/516775594776743936

13. Buttle

Who's Vendor C

Vendor C has much lower infection rates than A and B. Any guess?

14. Cuddles

Or to put it more accurately

"Users who don't update their anti-virus may as well uninstall it"

Or, if you look at the actual numbers, users who don't update their antivirus still get around 25% fewer infections than those who don't have it at all (I make it around 2.4% to 1.8% eyeballing it from the graph, actual numbers don't seem to be given). Sure, you're a lot better off keeping it up to date, but there's clearly a significant benefit from having out of date protection than none at all.

It's also worth keeping in mind that this refers only to users of Windows 8, and only those who have both downloaded the Malicious Software Removal Tool and opted to send information from it to Microsoft. Obviously I can't say how that will affect the results, but it's not exactly a randomised representative sample.

15. ecofeco Silver badge

Outdated and unpatched A/V no bueno?

Well DUH!

Although why IT nerds and the industry in general expect world+dog to be computer experts, I'll never understand.

16. Stevie

Bah!

Two unnamed vendors were behind 87.9 percent of expired anti-virus subscriptions, largely because the software was foisted on users as bloatware on new machines.

OR

Two unnamed vendors were behind 87.9 percent of expired subscriptions, largely because the users of the computers failed to grasp what the virus protection was for or how important not having an up-to-date copy was and so when their three month trial expired and they were asked for the first annual subscription they clicked on "no thanks" and then took no further action to obtain and install an anti-virus solution of any sort.

I don't know if my version is any more correct than the author's, but since the author offers no evidence to support the attributed motives to the people in question I reckon mine is just as valid and I'd bet money on it being closer to "the truth" since anyone caring about "bloatware" would surely be savvy enough to install something to do the job.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like