back to article GIANT sunspot returns, bigger and belchier than ever before

Sunspot AR12192, which thrilled astronomers and caused a little concern among technologists in October with its size and an X-class flare, is about to come back into view of Earth, bigger than ever. The sunspot has spent some time on the far side of the Sun, but that hasn't stopped scientists from analysing its activity and …

1. Conundrum1885

AaaaUUGGH

It burnz, ze goggles zey do notheeeng...

Hopefully just a light show and not the nointernetocalypse.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: AaaaUUGGH

"Hopefully just a light show and not the nointernetocalypse."

Fingers are crossed for a monster CME that hits us, here at Ledswinger Towers. Then we'll find out how robust modern infrastructure is, rather than keep worrying by applying Victorian standards of tech vulnerability to our levels of tech dependency, whilst simultaneously increasing our dependence on this supposedly vulnerable tech.

My guess is that the power grids would hold up fairly well. Landline comms would have a small bit of trouble, mobile comms and broadcasting some temporary interference. And a few satellites might get fried, giving trouble for those dependant upon sat nav, or militaries using satellites to plan their latest bomb runs. I could be wrong, and we get zapped straight back to 1968, but if that's the case probably better to go from 2014 to 1968 than doing nothing and being zapped from 2030 back to 1968.

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Better to be zapped back to 1968 now rather than 1868 any time beyond now.

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Fingers are crossed for a monster CME that hits us, here at Ledswinger Towers. "

I've long had the habit to track space weather activities, as my life did, quite literally, rely upon decent satellite communications for fire support and evacuation support.

Much later, I still track space weather, somewhat out of habit, somewhat to consider disconnecting certain expensive electronics if a CME is inbound and, erm, interesting.

Still, one ponders about the US, where substantial parts of the energy grid dates to the 1920's, with the majority being 1950's technology.*

*Note to self: Do pick up a proper generator for the house, along with an upgrade on fuel storage. I suspect 5000 gallons will be insufficient.

But then, I inherited a petrol tank under the property, courtesy of my deceased father, who had trivial access to such underground tanks and installed one during the US energy crisis. He subsequently added fuel to it, gradually, as petrol stations required repair and the remaining fuel was pumped out to be discarded.

There *is* a benefit for inheriting something from someone who lived through the Great Depression. Most of it is hoarding, some hoarding is beneficial today.

2. TimeMaster T
    Mushroom

So,

did anyone else think about "Solar Crisis" when they first heard about this gianormus sunspot?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100649/

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Helioseismologists - they're a thing - warn of solar flares and coronal mass ejections

Their message is probably followed by "this announcement does not apply to the following countries: Italy"

4. sandman

We're all doomed!

It's the end of the world as we know it, but I feel fine ;-)

1. Omgwtfbbqtime
      Flame

Re: We're all doomed!

People laughed and she said Burn!

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
        Boffin

*So* close to an upvote for being a student of the classics, but docked a mark for misquoting, I'm afraid.

GJC

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Warning came, no one cared...

5. Elmer Phud

WE'REALLGONNADIE

Again

6. auburnman

Whatever happened to the Maunder Minimum we were supposedly due? I thought we were in for a series of SuperWinters.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are you Italian?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Whatever happened to the Maunder Minimum we were supposedly due?"

One giant sunspot won't make much difference. On the basis of sunspot/weather history we should be seeing some really cold winters, and that has been generally true for the Northern hemisphere in recent years, albeit with the jet stream able to intermittently flick northern Europe out of the worst of it. So last winter the US froze in the polar vortex, and Europe basked in shorts, but the previous two years Europe froze its nuts off with the coldest winters for a generation or two.

As a general rule the most accurate way of predicting summer or winter extremes is to look and see what is being screamed about the coming season from the red-top front pages and presume the near opposite (the Mirror is particularly good at totally inaccurate and alarmist seasonal forecasts). I saw a headline on a red top the other week announcing that winter 2014/5 will be the coldest for a hundred years, and on that basis the shorts haven't gone in the loft.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Stuart Elliott
        Flame

"specifically the period of low sunspot activity between approximately 1645 and 1715"

Must have been a blinder to have come up with a name for half an hour.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. flearider

global cooling will start 2017 and last for 35yrs by 2020 winters will be cold and summer growing conditions will be bad for most of the eu/usa .. in this time period I'm thinking prob 12-16 mil dead due to cold or starvation .. but that's looking on the bright side ..

7. breakfast Silver badge

Luckily we now know that an enormous number of trees will appear overnight to protect us should any solar storm strike the earth, in a discovery that has been widely hailed as "ridiculous" and "totally implausible" by the scientific community and fans of Doctor Who.

1. Alistair

@breakfast

(I should be)

And all those asteroids will sprout baobabs? Not so far fetched really. Adults just don't understand.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: @breakfast

"And all those asteroids will sprout baobabs?"

Sorry, but as one that was part of the advanced planning commission on life, the universe and everything, regrettably, the asteroids will sprout okra, in plentiful quantities far exceeding the total possible production capability of the Earth. The oversight and QA committees totally screwed the pooch on that one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like