back to article Google DoubleClick goes TITSUP. ENJOY your AD-FREE WORLD!

Publishers across the web are seeing a huge surge in site load speeds, after Google's DoubleClick ad tech collapsed within the past hour. At time of writing, Google was yet to respond to The Register's request for comment. But its servers have clearly suffered a major meltdown. Readers who don't use ad-blockers because they …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

Well it's been fixed

You see how fast Google is fixing something when it's something important?

IMAP IDLE in Android's mail client? No fecking chance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well it's been fixed

Well use k9-mail then.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Well it's been fixed

I do, but it shouldn't be up to someone else to provide basic functionality.

2. Piro Silver badge

Please

Aqua Mail is the best mail client in my opinion

2. ukgnome
    Trollface

Lets do this the old fashioned way

FOR SALE

Microsoft Office 365

Great discounts for students

FOR SALE

Server stuff that has blue LED

FOR SALE

Training course - how to train

3. NogginTheNog

Fixed?

I've got (nice) blank spaces on my 'Reg pages at the moment, and it does load lovely and fast!

1. Anonymous Custard
      Trollface

Re: Fixed?

I must admit that was my first thought, whether "fixed" should apply to the period when the servers were down or the period afterwards when they were back up...

4. bill 36

it was worse than that

because, this afternoon, many pages were hanging waiting for ad.doubleclick.net including the BBC news page,

And i thought the beeb was ad free and funded by the tax payer.........

1. Interim Project Manager

Re: it was worse than that

Not if you access it from abroad, and thus aren't paying for it. Though to have it hanging because of the ads is poor for those that do pay for it.

1. bill 36

Re: it was worse than that

yip, you're right. I overlooked that small detail.

I wonder how much Auntie makes from flashing it abroad!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't like adverts since they are annoying, bandwidth drain and some use scripts. I have no trust in them at all.

Then there's tracking and the possibility of serving poisoned content (malware).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Subscription to the Reg...

Here is a question.

If the Reg had a subscription option for ad free, would you go for it?

I think I would and let them get paid, as opposed to the add blocking I do on some of my machines.

1. Stevie

Re: Subscription to the Reg...

So would I, but I know deep down that six months after I subscribed I would fall foul of some twisty small print and be seeing "certain special offers" just like before.

Because I've paid for add-free content that has suffered this sort of salt corrosion before.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

El Reg is one of a very few sites for which I'd pay.

Hell, I'd even pay *google* directly, if they got rid of the adverts. Not much, mind, but I'd pay. (Because I want a search engine to search without fear and favour, not to deliver what someone has paid them to deliver.)

2. stuff and nonesense

No.....

3. Vince
      Coat

Yeah I would. I'd pay the same amount I think the articles lately are worth.

Mines the one without any loose change in the pocket.

7. skeptical i
    Meh

Bye-bye bloat

Back when bandwidth was precious and rare, pages were built to load fast (much time spent leaning out JPEGs to find the balance between acceptable image quality and download speed).

Then broadband and other fat pipes got cheap(er), and it appears that web-page jockeys then threw in any and all gew-gaws into webpages without a care to weighing them before setting them live. Video on news sites is important (and beefy), as are security precautions on banking ones, but the rest of the lard? Nah.*

Now my colleague tells me that with the immense usage of mobile devices, webpages must again be writ lean and mean so that the devices' batteries don't get sucked to 'E' trying to load the latest eyecandy to decorate a news article.

This would be a welcome development, but as a quick "view source" on too many pages will show, that day has not yet arrived. When the text of a news article comprises 20 percent of the page code -- the rest of the words being/doing dawg-knows-what -- we have a problem, Houston.

* I don't begrudge publishers putting up adverts to pay their expenses, but I DO object to huge-ass animation and other files that eat up download time without adding anything useful to their message. If I am not in the market for product XYZ, all the blinking bold font on the planet will not help.

Rant over, carry on.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Bye-bye bloat

Well said. Most websites are FAR too bloated with code.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Bye-bye bloat

Agreed, but what I find worse is idiots with huge signatures on their emails.

ASCII - who you are, what you do, and how to contact you. Anything else is wasting my mail quota.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ENJOY your AD-FREE WORLD!

I have been for years thanks.

9. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

Visual Noise

Browsing Reg on Debian Sid with stock install, no blockers. Just really *noisy*. I find it hard to concentrate on the text.

How much per subscriber is made with ads? Just wondering.

ps: $ w3m http://www.theregister.co.uk

Well fast. Props for 'skip to content' links and accesibility for screen readers generally.

# apt-get install netsurf

# exit

$ netsurf http://www.theregister.co.uk

Pretty fast as well (Netsurf is a minimal graphical Web browser) with some GIF style ads. Do you make any money off those? (No Javascript)

10. Christian Berger

Wait a minute, there are still ads?

I'm sorry, but I'm not using any sort of ad blocker and for me ads have gradually disappeared over the last decade or so. Maybe this has something to do with the rumor I've heard that some ad companies are now using Javascript/Flash ads... which I don't execute for security reasons.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

Between blocking scripts, blocking flash, and blocking pop-ups, I dont see many ads either.

I do miss my old pre ADSL ad blocker though, it would put up a blue box with the word "Ad" in it, to replace every advert it blocked - so you could see you were getting your monies worth.

12. Gannon (J.) Dick

Not sure ...

... to whom we owe thanks, and I know it is only temporary, but ...

next time bring a detonator for the back-up charge !!! Rookie mistake, sheesch.

13. dan1980

I don't mind ads in general.

The two things I mind rather a lot, however, are ads that take over a page and ads that are loaded with all manner of unknown javascript.

I want to support the sites I frequent but only so long as the advertisements are not overly intrusive.

14. tokyo-octopus

Serves them right for serving autoplaying music video ads

On El-Reg, earlier this morning. Viewing from Japan. Very annoying.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Serves them right for serving autoplaying music video ads

That Google adsense customer being naughty - if you see it again please point us to domain and we will block.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Use adblock and hostfile the sites to 127.0.0.1

Easy

16. RyokuMas
    Devil

Probably an EULA clause...

"But the ad giant made no mention of compensation for publishers who lost cash during the outage."

Chances are, just like Gmail etc. users are conned into giving up their personal data by carefully obscured clauses in the EULA, so there is a similar clause for lost profit in the publisher sign-up...

17. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    Flame

I'm sorry, I use AdBlock too...

... because the way the ad market is arranged ensures that unsuitable, intrusive, dangerous adverts are always going to be served whatever the site owner says.

If El Reg could arrange for JPGs and alt-text for the ads to be shown to be delivered to their servers, then served from theregister.co.uk I'd quite happily enable those. And maybe even read a few.

But the pyramid marketing scam that is the on-line ad business, with successive layers reselling ad contracts, is designed to maximise income and minimise traceability. It's a cesspit, and I don't want it on my PC.

In the meantime, I'd go for an El Reg subscription that meant the site was ad-free. Go on, work out what the revenue-per-commentard is, add a modicum for safety, and see if it would fly.

18. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Headmaster

Fixed ?

I think "re-broken" maybe ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like