back to article Times hack has an attack of the Web 0.2s

It's come to our attention that Times hack Michael Moran has a book out - the snappily entitled Sod Abroad which explains "why you'd be mad to leave the comfort of your own home". We were alerted to this new tome by a pretty shameless email from Mr Moran asking us to punt his cautionary travel tales through El Reg, and in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter Mount
    Alert

slashdotted?

All I get for the blog at the moment is a google server error message.

I wonder what the El Reg equivalent of the slashdot effect should be called?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Corfu

With reviews like that it will be the 'in' place for chavs to holiday.

3. Steve

Just left my contribution

What is your name?

Steve

Where do you live?

Peterborough, UK

Where did you go on your worst ever holiday?

News International Limited, 1 Virginia St, London E98 1XY

What is the worst, most disappointing, or most embarrassing anecdote you can bear to remember from your holiday?

Awful place, full of whiny self-important media types trying to flog their books.

Worst part was when I bumped into some shameless hack who insisted on trying to get me to buy his nonsense book about why everything British is so much better than anything foreign. Furthermore he expected me to tell all my friends and relatives and anyone I might meet on the street about how great his book was and how they should all buy it.

I believe you can read all about in in his next book "How to pretend your book launch is actual news in an attempt to garner a load of free advertising and hype for what would otherwise be toilet paper."

Title to be confirmed.

4. Mark Broadhurst
    Thumb Down

Well the blog is down...

Shame...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

@ Peter Mount

I believe verbifying the word "vulture" is called for in this case. As in, "My crappy blog was in The Reg, now it's been vultured".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some of these are great

Check out the one at Malaga. It has to be made up, but this is a wonderful way to waste a Monday afternoon.

7. Steve Mann
    Happy

Hmm

Well, given the fact that the English Tourist Abroad has had a reputation both on the Continent and at home from the mid seventies* onward for an attitude they didn't have a name for at the time**, this website could be seen as an exercise in self-fulfilling irony at the expense of the posters rather than jingoism run rampant.

No doubt I am being naïve.

* And possibly earlier; I'm relating personal experience here.

** But "chav" seems a pretty good fit, at least from a behaviour standpoint

8. Mikey
    Happy

Blog's working for me - Istanbul is the best story.

..and Steve - I think you're being uneccesarily bitter: Isn't all news just re-churned press releases nowadays?

9. Stuart
    Thumb Up

This is why I love the internet....

a) I'm sure the one for Wollacombe is my family

b) the one for Amstetten, Austria made coffee come out of my nose

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Benidorm .... need I say more ?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Geography not too hot...

Bar Hill, Cambs... in Northumberland????

12. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Erm...

"In the early 90s I was on holiday in Curfu [sic], I went out one night got so horrifically drunk on cheap cocktails and beer, I woke up in the morning feeling really unwell in a strange grubby room alone, with a sore arm and bruised face and body, and an empty wallet, there was a used syringe on the floor, apparently I had been mugged, had my wallet emptied of a couple of hundred pounds and in return they filled me with heroine [sic]. I’ve never wanted to try drugs and I’m crap scared of needles so I certainly didn’t volunteer to do it willingly."

How is this in any way worse than what would happen in this country?! He should thank himself lucky he didn't have his face rearranged or set alight in a large dustbin behind the nightclub for the sum of £5.

Maybe the reality is he's a complete prick, since he has such a shitty time everywhere he goes with himself...

13. Bunglebear
    Thumb Up

Funniest thing I have read in a while

The Kathmandu one is pretty funny as well, but the Austria one takes the biscuit!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like