back to article Philae heads for comet, reports back to mothercraft Rosetta

The Philae lander’s science centre has had its first data update from the spacecraft, which has sent the first of many images, along with data, from its scientific instruments. El Reg's space vulture Brid-Aine Parnell reports from mission command at the ESA ops complex at Darmstadt, Germany. Philae snaps Rosetta spacecraft …

1. BeachBoy

cool stuff

This is the cool sort of thing its worth paying your taxes for. Can't wait for the first on the ground pics

2. Andy Non Silver badge
    Alien

Fingers crossed for a safe landing

in around 40 minutes time...

3. phuzz Silver badge
    Boffin

Ok, so it's probably landed about now, but we have to wait for 28 minutes to find out...

I've got the ESA stream open in one tab, and XKCD open in another.

I hate waiting.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awesome. Naaaaat.

The historic event is about to happen. With no commentary for half an hour, only background noise.

Historically Rubbish, ESA.

5. EddieD

Sweet as!

(Typed as I saw the control room go nuts as they got telemetry from the surface)

6. jason 7

The videocast is terrible.

No indication of what is going on. No commentary.

They didn't see how they did the Mars Rover I guess.

1. FlatSpot
      Facepalm

Re: The videocast is terrible.

It's science not XFactor we don't need some mic jokey telling us the same thing over and over again, playing for time.

1. jason 7

Erm no, but you can have someone who can inform the viewers of the different stages and what the Control folks are looking/waiting for. The Mars lander coverage was fantastic for this, really added to the occasion to know what was going on rather than 6 people standing around looking nervous for 40 minutes then punching the air all of a sudden.

Just looked rather amateurish....and they had 10 years to prepare for it.

Come back James Burke or the likes of Raymond Baxter.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You must be a jealous american I guess

1. jason 7

Actually a Brit.

Just looked very amateur and they missed a great opportunity to try to make it look interesting and informative to a wider audience. Just needed one of the team to comment on what was going on from time to time, what they expected, what was going on around them and 500 million miles away.

At a time when science and space research needs all the help it can get, they managed to make it look really really dull.

2. ravenviz Silver badge
      Facepalm

Yes, just like being there, the suspense was amazing! Comet landings aren't all space shuttles and Bruce Willis!

3. David Given

You mean inane talking heads and celebutards talking over the top of anything with technical content while occasionally cutting to people going RAH RAH MURIKA HUNH and making fist pumping gestures?

I'll stick with ESA, thanks very much.

7. Paul Dx
    Pint

Philae Lander @Philae2014

Touchdown! My new address: 67P! #CometLanding

8. Carrawaystick

touchdown

esa twitter feed saying Philae landed

https://twitter.com/esaoperations

9. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Pint

Science!

Doncha just love it.

For all of the team involved in this brilliant venture >>>>>>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like