back to article RBS's Ulster Bank whacked with enormous IT cock-up fine

RBS-owned Ulster Bank has been whacked with a €3.5m (£2.75m) fine for the IT outsourcing cock-up that affected RBS customers in 2012. The incident resulted in around 600,000 customers being deprived of basic banking services over a 28 day-period during June and July 2012, said the Central Bank of Ireland (CBI). The fine is …

1. seven of five
    Devil

So...

around 100k a day for incompetence above and beyond all deemed possible? Sounds like a bargain.

...otoh, thats a mere 40m per year, how about shutting down all customer facing services and use their assets in speculation, paying off the fine from the proceedings?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So...

"around 100k a day"

Plus various consultants they pulled in to try and fix it, who were each charging up to 10K per day.

Luckily, they were too big to fail so their customers will end up paying it all off for them.

1. seven of five

yeah, but you won´t have to pull in them conslutants if being inaccessible is part of you business model... -> more profit.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't forget though, that the 'consultants' were the people that RBS had 'sacked' the week before when they passed the work out to India. Just goes to show that outsourcing has many hidden costs, and the removal of intellectual capital is shortsighted.

The leaders at the time have all left the company, the last one hanging on long past his sell-by date and has now 'retired'. Remember their names if you are looking for professionals to perform a similar exercise.

2. alain williams Silver badge

About £4.60 per customer affected

A few days bank charges will pay that.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

Re: About £4.60 per customer affected

Yes, hardly an incentive not to fail again. Enormous is overstating it.

2. LucreLout

Re: About £4.60 per customer affected

And for a 28 day period. That's a little over 16 pence per customer per day. In other words, nothing.

Until the size of the fines outweighs the cost savings from offshoring the jobs, then literally nothing will change.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

IT and Banks

Surely a core necessity, effectively money apart from actual cash is digital, (SO, DD, IBAN, Debit Cards etc), so outsourcing IT is bonkers.

1. Thomas Whipp

Re: IT and Banks

Ulster Bank owned by RBS, outsourced IT operations to RBS - that's a pretty common arrangement.

You could equally take the view that if you're a smallish business owned by a big business it would be bonkers *not* to use their presumed greater capability to operate your IT.

From a strict regulatory point of view Ulster Banks board and approved persons would need to assure themselves that the service was appropriate and therefore could in theory say no, but in practice its very hard to say no to a parent company which wants to consolidate costs across a group and has the compelling argument that they already do the job on a bigger scale.

4. TitterYeNot

Teflonitis

He said: "While the Central Bank recognises that IT outsourcing is a feature of modern banking business, outsourcing is no defence for regulatory failings."

This. And some.

One of the inherent problems of outsourcing is not necessarily the fact that is done to save money, it is the derogation of responsibility that accompanies it. If your answer to one of the following questions...

'Why is our website not fit for purpose?'

'Why are all our services offline?'

'Why are our wards filthy?'

'Why is our shiny new public sector IT system not working?'

...is "Well, not really my fault, our suppliers have let us down", then whether you're a banking, corporate or NHS manager, a council planner or a senior civil servant, the only sensible retort i.e. the only one that will get rid of those Teflon shoulder pads, is...

"This is YOUR responsibility. Whether it's been outsourced or not. Therefore YOU haven't done YOUR job. There's the door. And don't forget to leave your access card and pension on the way out..."

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. sniperpaddy

Outsourced !!!

IT services were outsourced to India.

7. PeterM42
    FAIL

Outsourcing core business....

HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA! HAHA!

And they thought they were going to save money!!

As a previous commentard said: "Lock 'em up!" (and use the proceeds of selling their assets, including pensions to help pay the fines/compensation).

8. Richard Wharram

Seems fairly small

Is RBS as a whole going to get a bigger fine?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why are these countries fining the banks.

As I see it: Bank makes a cock up :- customer suffers.

Later along comes some government lackey fining the bank multiple millions of pounds/dollars, which I presume goes to the treasury of the relevant country.

Who pays? The same customer who suffered in the first place thereby compounding the suffering.

Who gains ? Some nonentity who had absolutely nothing to do with the original problem.

If these fines went to the suffering customers etc, then I could see some justification, otherwise: No.

As someone else said, if there has been a law breach then the directors/ managers etc should be the ones to carry the can - do time etc.

Probably would not have had the recession due to toxic loans etc, if the real threat of hard time had been there.

10. FedUpWithUlsterBank

Hmm, now the inability I've had to change address with the morons in the RoI bank makes sense.

3 letters sent with a copy of my passport photo page, which they've either not received or done nothing, and phone calls are just with an attitude of 'send a letter' with an outright refusal to accept anything but the sacred letter as a form of communication.

Then when I complain that they have sent my account details to the address I no longer live it, they tell me it is my fault because I, wait for it, didn't send them a letter, and that I then didn't ring them often enough (why when the refuse to do anything over the phone?) to find out they had done nothing.

Oh yes, and they had to do this, because of their 'data security' arrangements wouldn't let them do anything else!

Where do they find these people?!

No wonder they have problems, no one with a brain in charge.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like