back to article NHS IT procurement leaves solid carbon footprint

ICT procurement for the health service in England produces carbon dioxide equivalent to that generated by 27,000 of its patients. Such procurement produces 320,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide each year, according to data released with Saving Carbon, Improving Health: A Draft Carbon Reduction Strategy for the NHS in England, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

how exactly

is this realistic?

They cant even build a database never mind run effective IT systems.

2. Mark W
    Flame

Impartial reporting...

"ICT procurement makes up just 1.7 per cent of the English NHS's total emissions of the main gas responsible for climate change..."

Shouldn't there be a 'believed to be' in there somewhere?

Flames - 'cos I'm expecting some from the 'environmentalists'...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Simple solution

Stop all NHS middle managers from producing CO2 (Plastic bag over head will do). That will prevent huge amounts of hot air & CO2 being produced & the monetary savings will pay off the national debt in a week or two.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

I'm on the project

I work for a certain company which has given me an insight into this situation (can't say who). I heard recently that one of the main suppliers (BT) is in fact the largest single user of electricity in the UK. When you consider that 90% of BT's NHS IT estate is running at about 5-10% capacity, it's really no wonder...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

mm

delicious green leaches will attach to another public service leach leach leach.

"We were just made to spend all this money on new kit..."

"Well now you must replace all your old power hungry kit with new energy efficent kit provided by us, the green leaches."

"great... who needs nurses, doctors or cleaning staff anyway..."

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@ How exactly

Yet another smart arse who has no idea of what is actually involved in NPFIT! Its a shame people who know nothing about the programme, its complexity and what it involves feel the need to comment.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait for it....

A series of press releases from the NHS.

1. In order to avoid unnecessary travel by patients and Consultants, all consultations will be by video conference to your local GP surgery. "So instead of driving to the most inconvenient local hospital and hanging around for hours waiting for Sir to finish his golf game, you can do it in the comfort of your GP's waiting room".

2. Due to the complexities in organising multiple Consultant appointments on the new video conferencing system, a patient dissatisfaction in the new system we have enhanced our systems to enable you to receive the consultation straight to your home, requiring only the simplest of home use PCs you can video conference direct to your consultant.

"Requires Window 2010, 8gb Memory, 8Ghz Intel Core 4 Duo and a 1Gb Ethernet connection, patients are reminded that missing an appointment costs time and money, and the NHS reserves the right to charge for missed appointments."

"System requires that patients wait around all day for a 2 minute video conference that always occurs the moment you need to pop off to the loo"

But seriously, a member of my family has recently needed to go into hospital a couple of time, and is also awaiting orthopaedic surgery. They were admitted to Stevenage, the Welwyn Garden City, and offered surgery in Banbury, rather than St.Albans where they actually live. So, for an extended stay, just think how carbon is extended by people travelling out by car to hospitals in other towns, rather than hopping on a local bus.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@mm

>"delicious green leaches will attach to another public service leach leach leach.

>"We were just made to spend all this money on new kit..."

>"Well now you must replace all your old power hungry kit with new energy >efficent kit provided by us, the green leaches."

Nothing in the article said anything about replacing existing kit. You made that up to strengthen your otherwise completely flaccid argument.

Presumably if someone pointed out that your toilet was busted and you were wallowing in a pool of your own shit, you'd just think it was an excuse to trick money out of you? A dose of healthy scepticism is a good thing, but you're just way over the line into tin-foil-hat-land. Try reading the article again, with your blinkers off this time.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@@mm

Mmmmm delicious green leach discovered.

This topic is closed for new posts.