back to article BlackBerry chief vows: We'll focus on 'core devices' and on, er, not losing money

BlackBerry chief John Chen has said that the Canadian firm won’t be trying to launch too many new devices as it struggles to claw its way back to profitability. Chen told Reuters that the firm was focused on profits, so it wouldn’t be pushing for heaps of new smartphones. "Once we turn this company to profitability again, I …

1. James 51

Samsung spam the market with new phones in the hopes of stumbling across something that works. BB don't have the resources to do the same so they are focusing on a small number of handsets aimed at a specific market. They won't trouble Samsung or Apple for the top spot but it's a good stragety to keep themselves going but doing one important thing very well.

2. Harry Kiri

Chesney Hawkes

Blackberry hit a sweet spot, thought themselves enduring, but were really a one-hit wonder.

1. fruitoftheloon
      Thumb Down

Re: Chesney Hawkes

Harry,

so with your amazing future guaranteed vision, I assume you have shorted the Blackberry shares accordingly?

Imho the new Blackberry models look very interesting indeed...

J

1. Harry Kiri

You dont need a tardis to predict the future of RiM - here comes the science:

'very interesting' != 'commercially successful'

But feel free to bet your house on the future Blackberry cash cow...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

One hit wonder? Which of the 100 or so wildly successful devices they produced over the 15 years prior to their recent downfall the was the "one hit"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wow, they sold a 100?

3. CheesyTheClown

What's the need they're trying to fill?

It's been a while since I've seen a Blackberry product. I have almost no knowledge of them as they stand now. I know that there's iPhone and Samsung right now. There are a ton of ankle biters like Microsoft and HTC as well.

Consider that the entire ages 13+ market in the western world is already saturated and everyone who will own a phone does own a phone. That means that companies like Microsoft, HTC and Blackberry have to either convince people to switch or need to make their devices so cool and cost effective that kids will want them.

Also, almost all kids that will have budgets for smart phones when they reach 13+ will probably have been using mom and dad's last generation of phone for a few years already. So they will already have most of their stuff on either iPhone or Android.

What exactly is it about the Blackberry which makes it so that people would consider switching from either iPhone or Android to their platform. So far as I know, the only differentiating factor they've ever claimed to have is security. I actually would never ever buy a device which claims to be secure. That just means they haven't been targeted enough yet.. it also means to me that if that's their central focus for sales, they will be better at hiding when they do get hacked to avoid damaging their reputation for as long as they can.

Does Blackberry offer anything that :

a) Will make me look cooler to my friends?

b) Will make my life so much easier that I can't live without it?

c) Provide at least on-par media, navigation, etc... services with what either Apple, Google, Amazon or even Microsoft are already offering internationally?

d) Doesn't make me feel as if I lost something by moving?

e) Have they caught up on services like Siri style voice systems?

f) Can they do things like real time voice language translation services like Google can yet?

g) Can It run Office?

h) Is it compatible with major services like OneDrive, DropBox, etc...

This is why Nokia lost their asses. They sold phones while Apple sold fashion and Google sold services.

1. Harry Kiri

Re: What's the need they're trying to fill?

You've hit the nail on the head - the USP when they were a success was 'a real keyboard'. That problem no longer exists.

They were cool, the 3 year refresh came around, someone elses new toys were better. Woolworths, Xerox, Kodak....

2. 0laf

Blackberry's niche was hardcore government and big business security. BB products had (have?) security baked in from the hardware up and they were receptive to the suggestions of Government agencies such as GCHQ and NIST.

For that reason for a long time Blackberry products were the only ones signed off for use within high assurance organisations.

But BB sat on it's hands for so long that Government users began to hate their BB and crave the fondling delights of iOS. BB then decided to make a jump for the wider public and try to sell to the yoof market that worked for while until they got bored of the BB offerings too. So they ended up pissing off their old market and losing their grasp on the new.

Meanwhile other companies started to sniff the pork from Government and began to make their products more enterprise orientated except Apple who allegedly told the security services to take a hike 'coz we're Apple'.

It seems now that BB has realised that they've made an arse of their dalliance into the feral over supplied public mobile market and they're starting to court their old customers again.

I suspect if they can get it right then they may pick up some of their old customers that still like physical keyboards and proper security. However new boys like Samsung are getting signed off for high assurance work as well so the future is less than certain. Plus executives are as prone to the whims of fashion as anyone else, BB ain't fashionable so the Passport better be a phenomenally useful tool or it'll just get ignored.

Myself a few years ago I'd have bet a small amount on MS buying up BB's security patents when they went bust. I still think that might happen yet. If the Chinese buy BB expect the Government accreditation to be dropped like a red hot turd.

3. James 51

Usually I don't feed the trolls but here you go:

A: Depends on your friends. If they're business people who want to be productive on the move then things like the passport and the classic might. Otherwise, trying to be cool is what got them into this mess in the first place.

B: If you're a business person or a big IM/Facebook user then yes. The Hub is still the best messaging centre of any handheld OS. Most android apps will work natively too.

C: Haven't used maps much but it's hard to image it being worse than apple's offering.

D: Up to you really.

E: The Passport has a voice based assisstant and it's rolling out to other handsets with the next update but haven't tried it yet.

F: No clue.

G: You get documents to go for free which is office compatible and there's a few other office apps available.

H: Dropbox is baked into the OS and there's plenty of apps for other cloud based services.

Just my 2p but Nokia lost their way thanks to bad managers and trying to be no.1 in the US instead of settling for being no.1 in the rest of the world.

1. RNixon

Blackberry Maps is quite good now. I've found it better at routing me around traffic than Google Maps, though it doesn't have Google's satellite image view, which can be handy.

When I first got my Q10 BB Maps was only so-so; I sideloaded Google Maps and used that till BB Maps was on par.

And regards to B: Have you found a multi-IM client with good hub integration? I need to talk to a bunch of old farts that still use AIM and ICQ, and that leaves one BB native paid client with horrid reviews, or Android apps with no Hub use.

2. Jes.e

Upvote but DropBox is not actually baked into the OS, it's just a native app which comes pre-installed on the device and can be deleted and re-installed through the BlackBerry store as needed.

It just seems baked in due to it being a native app and the synergistic way the OS operates.

3. Afflicted.John

I think BB lost their way due to bad managers too...difference is they seem to have found a good one in John Chen.

4. pikey

actually security is what BB does best. It's designed from the hardware up for that purpose, and so far the other players in the mobile market are trying to play catch up with what BB have been doing for years.

Plus the handset is only part of the picture. The other part was and still is the Blackberry Enterprise Server, that was in effect the Mobile Date Management system that was and is still far more ahead of it's time. This provided companies/ governments with a way of managing the devices with the ability to provide secure mobile access to data and applications on the enterprise to the phone.

products like AirWatch, Mobile-Iron, inTune are in effect trying to replicate that process and management on to non Blackberry devices with various degrees of success and failure.

Blackberry with the introduction of the BB10 device also virtually separated corporate data with personal data on the phone.

Something again that the other manufactures are trying to catch-up on (Samsung Knox?) .

So yes while not the 'consumer' leaders any more, they still have a part to play within the enterprise market, though because there not seen as being 'trendy' are really ignored at the loss of a already tried and tested system.

1. Vic

that was in effect the Mobile Date Management system

I have a sneaking suspicion your typo might be rather accurate ;-)

Vic.

5. fruitoftheloon

CtC,

methinks that if you need a phone to make you feel cooler, which brand of phone to get next shouldn't be too high up your totem pole of challenges to deal with.

J

6. Zippy's Sausage Factory

People still run Office? Why?

1. James 51

Because everyone else still does. Personally I'd love an epub editor.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@CheesyTheClown

That means that companies like Microsoft, HTC and Blackberry have to either convince people to switch or need to make their devices so cool and cost effective that kids will want them.

Microsoft and Blackberry have to convince people to switch. HTC has a much easier time of it, getting a Samsung owner to switch to HTC doesn't involve much change.

If Microsoft and RIM had got their shit together even two years ago when most Android phones in use were still 2.3 and therefore pretty awful, they could have made the case for people to switch. But they wasted too much time, now Android is in pretty good shape so making someone want to switch has become a lot more difficult.

8. Hans 1

BB10 is for productivity, not a toy ... their target audience is not teens ...

a) Will make me look cooler to my friends?

I saw a bb10 device (z10) last week, they do look cool ... my z30 is bigger and better, though

b) Will make my life so much easier that I can't live without it?

Not sure, never came across a device like that ... I have a life.

c) Provide at least on-par media, navigation, etc... services with what either Apple, Google, Amazon or even Microsoft are already offering internationally?

Well, for a start, you have the fastest mobile browser on the market (from a benchmark 3-4 months ago, search crackberry.com), with flash. Media players galore, you also have the amazon market available.

d) Doesn't make me feel as if I lost something by moving?

I don't think so, but taste ... YMMV

e) Have they caught up on services like Siri style voice systems?

Of course, I think, I do not use it, but it is there.

f) Can they do things like real time voice language translation services like Google can yet?

no idea, they have pretty good voice control, from what I read, but again, I do not use that.

g) Can It run Office?

BB's have always been able to open Office docs

h) Is it compatible with major services like OneDrive, DropBox, etc...

of course, they come pre-installed (Box) you can get dropbox as well, I have that ... onedrive I dunno, maybe

The main thing about the device is the OS ... swipe to type is just insanely great, once you are used to it, took me 1 or 2 days, it predicts what you are going to type (based on the a dictionary at first, later, it prioritizes words or phrases you type a lot) and you can either swipe up the whole word or continue typing ... impressive ... no need to switch keyboards for different languages, I use three daily ... it detects the language after one or two words and then only offers words in the language you use ... and it learns from what I swipe up and not - I said very impressive feature.

I have had mine for one year now, battery life lasts 1.5 to 2 days, though I constantly have wifi on and use it a lot. You can have a configurable voice tell you when battery reaches, say, 30% ... it has multi-coloured leds ... so when you look at the phone in its cover, you can see new email (red) new text (green) missed call (blue) blinking... configurable, of course with powertools (a $2 app, does much more).

My two year older daughter got hold of it and was typing stuff in ... when I took it back, the password screen said: 5 or 10 attempts remaining, type blackberry to continue. So it detects when a kid "types" on the device and does not simply block it after n tries. Yes, this is configurable as well ... ;-)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blackberry Passport

Reduce it to 400 quid and I'll buy it tomorrow....

Got an Android at the minute. The Samsung keyboard blows chunks so I put the Google one on and for some reason it doesn't play well in Chrome. Keyboard will randomly vibrate and at random times if you delete a word then try typing it again it prefixes whatever your typing with some of the characters you've deleted. Put Cyanogenmod on thinking it'd be the Samsung crap, but it does the same thing. I'm hoping when there is a lollypop rom a fresh install from scratch and the new OS will fix a lot of the problems I have with Android.

I like the freedom and appreciate the openness of it compared to iOS, but it just feels like it is still extremely rough around the edges like I'm using a beta product.

From what I've seen online the BB10 OS looks pretty good and the Passport has got some good reviews. They seem to be on the right path they need to just make three or four phones and make them extremely well and the business customers will come back and the general public will pick up on what they are doing and see the merits of it.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Blackberry Passport

It's 529€ including VAT and in stock. XE tells me that's about 415 quid so you've got to decide if it's close enough. I had been waiting for it to be in stock, I say 'had' as mine arrived Friday. It's only been the weekend, but I will say that so far I'm chuffed.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Blackberry Passport

Very interesting, it just came up as £529 but other times it's 529€. It changed for me when I put it in my cart after checking the France site in case someone wants to see if it's repeatable, who knows which works. Either way, it's currently $599 in the US, which is about £380 if you happen to be on holiday.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The thing is black berry long sailed on the false understanding from many people that if you wanted to email on the go you needed a black berry (not sure how this urban myth started).

Where as this was never true, however black berry decided instead of using existing and standardised email platforms/protocols (using ssl and tls to talk to mail servers) for access like every one else does in the mobile space, they would instead invent their own man in the middle server to needlessly deal with emails.

All sysadmins I speak to HATE blackberry exchange with vengeance, its just creates more un-necessary administration overhead in so many ways.

So after sysadmins started to educate users that other phones did email (i for one was very happy when i was able to rip BES from all sites), BlackBerry had started to make in roads into the teen market and convinced them (again not sure how it happened), that BBM was the best thing since sliced bread.

However as more teens started to realise they wanted a smartphone with more smarts and things like imessage/whatsapp/viber/skype were cross platform already they also started to move away.

So the two thing that made them be a success in the first place are now gone or going and will never return, as someone else put it one (or sort of two) hit wonder.

They will never claw it back, its only going to get worse, im not saying they ever made bad hardware (not so much the software), just their biggest money maker (BES) was not really required (only some features and only in larger enterprise environments) and people eventually saw through this, why have a mail server and then also have to deploy a BES server alongside when the mail server can already provide ssl connections if all you wanted was to setup email.

Kids only got BB devices because like what ever fad they are following at the time, this was what peer pressure dictated they got to be cool, however most kids these days will have a droid or an iphone.

If you mention BB to people these days the response you normally get is ... ah, so they are still in business then...

The only way they can ever hope to survive the long term as i see it is to embrace android / microsoft / possibly sailfish? (far less likely) You you just threw away money making your own platform BB10/BB11/BB12/BBWHATEVER, forget BES/remove email reliance (yes its a cash cow, but its also why your so hated), downsize and become a phone manufacture like the rest (HTC/Sony/Moto/etc).

When Windows mobile was around 5/6 the cost of the licence would mean there was still profit in creating your own platform, putting in development time etc, as long as you could shift x units it made money. Where as once google gave it away for free, it would mean creating your own OS from the ground up was going to make it impossible to compete in a market place where ever one else was just much more cheaply skinning an os and creating value adding apps and services here and there.

This interview goes along way to explain the mindset at BB i think:

http://geekshavelanded.com/rims-awful-bbc-interview-day-bb10-launch/

Wearing Blinkers, much !?!?

If you think BES is way ahead of its time, i would take a look at the tools available for other platforms in enterprise... However for SME there is simply no need for BES, google apps for buisness and a droid device is a good example of how this can be done far far easier and far far cheaper for smaller SME clients and scales to larger clients (enterprise) as the company grows.

As for separating corporate data and personal data on a device, this is only really needed if your using a situation where its BOYD, if the company owns the phone, it either gets it back or the device gets wiped out right. Even then any employee doing a shifty with data before they left will do so long before they tell you they are going (when the still have access), so by remote wiping the data after they leave is pointless the horse has already likely bolted.

Personally and i could be wrong i think BB only keeps going in the hope they can some how spin a story of how great something going to be try and inflate the company worth/brand and make it attractive for long enough to sell up.

1. GrumpyOldMan

Don't agree

Whilst I haven't tried BES 10, I was a BES Admin on their previous incarnation and didn't find it too bad. I have a Z10 and after 2 years use it's still great - although looking forward to the 10.3.1 update. But I'm really interested in the Passport - it's quirky, different and has actually had some thought toward business users - which is what BB do and should stick to - what's that Amazon junk yard thing all about??? If I do get a Passport it's the first thing that's going! But on my business tariff O2 don't seem to be doing it so I'll be ditching O2 and looking at someone who does. Most of the nay-sayers are people who have never owned or used a BB (I said most - not all - so don't roast me on that one!) so have no idea of what they are talking about and only regurgitate what the media say - and the media slag BB off because it's cool to do so. My opinion but it's how I see it.

2. RNixon

You... you DO realize that Blackberries haven't depended on BES for years, right?

I mean, they still support it, and it has advantages for enterprise, but they don't need it.

3. Jes.e

Dear Anonymous..

A lot of good information in your post but some bad as well..

I am a proud first time user of a shiny new used BlackBerry Q10 phone I found at a mall chain store which I had never seen before which sells used electronics. No returns allowed..

I'm on my fourth month with the phone now, and had to change my carrier from Straight Talk to Cricket because Straight Talk changed me over from AT&T to T-Mobile when I got my new phone which didn't work out well as I couldn't get a signal inside my house.

The phone was an carrier free unlocked phone which the store was nice enough to charge up and let me play with. They even took the unusual step of connecting it to their local Wifi to let me briefly check out a couple of web pages I visit frequently.

I was blown away!!!

I had heard some interesting things about BlackBerry's new version 10 OS when it came out but I had never seen a BlackBerry device in any of the phone stores over here in the US.

This store let me play with it.

It truly was a "Shut up and take my money" moment!

I had been using a Google Galaxy Nexus (the no longer supported one) with the genuine Google experience. I was a Google user through and through as GMail gave me the freedom to read my email from anywhere and Google Voice gave me freedom from phone numbers.

Anyway I was a bit worried about that when I went into the HUB and gave it the account name and password to my Gmail account.

My hub started to fill up with my email messages.

Within minutes I noticed all my contacts from Gmail and Voice were local on the phone, including contact pictures.

So was my calendar information.

In fact I also noticed that the information is completely bidirectional.. New or edited contacts I put into the phone are also instantly reflected back at the Google servers.

In fact the contacts are much better on BlackBerry as BlackBerry seems to know what a "last name" is as my contacts are now properly sorted by last name (optionally) as Google shows your contact list starting with "Andy Griffith" and running up to "Thomas Dolby" instead of the other way around.

Very unprofessional when half of your contract list are professional people and businesses.

Anyway, all this was done without any Blackberry Enterprise Services (BES) or any BlackBerry servers at my phone company which would be required for web or email access on the older BlackBerry 7 or older devices.

I actually gave you a downvote because of this statement:

The only way they can ever hope to survive the long term as i see it is to embrace android / microsoft / possibly sailfish? (far less likely) You you just threw away money making your own platform BB10/BB11/BB12/BBWHATEVER, forget BES/remove email reliance (yes its a cash cow, but its also why your so hated), downsize and become a phone manufacture like the rest (HTC/Sony/Moto/etc).

This statement is wrong.

There is only BlackBerry 10 (currently up at 10.3) and the whole point of the great leap forward from 7 to 10 was replacing the OS with QNX and eliminating the need for BlackBerry servers as you state unless you want enterprise services in which case your corporation will supply you with that.

Now I have no experience as you do with the enterprise side of things, BUT AS A CONSUMER DEVICE the BlackBerry is heads and shoulders above anything else out there due to their superior OS technology, their commitment to security and privacy (including fine level management of permissions), their ability to nativity run Android apps (without the fine level permissions), the unified hub for all your messaging, the browser which is equal or better than almost anything (according to HTML5 test website), and..

..and oh yes. Did I mention, fantastic battery life?

I no longer have to worry about getting through a full day.

Yes. Us BlackBerry users are pretty rare out there (I notice a slight similarly to OS/2 regrettably) and last Friday I got some rather heavy handed put downs from two individuals who were pretty insecure at a nights out with friends, but what do you expect from a phone which no one has actually seen due to the phone store situation over here?

Hmmm.. I just realised- no one there had a Windows phone on the table. I wonder if the harassment would have been the same?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Jes.e

You are clearly very very pro BB, your response to Anonymous reads, as maybe you donk know the history that well or maybe really didn't have a good understanding (grasp) of the points made and decided just to respond on your limited and potentially flawed understanding of what was being conveyed or the argument being made, in that how BB got to this point.

Apparently 4 months ago you were an android and apple user, apparently 2 months later you became a BB user and have been very very pro BB ever since.

You have stated you have limited exposure to the BB platform, weather they are trying to do it right now is not really that important, the points made were how they arrived at this point.

This is clearly demonstrated by the fact you obviously couldn't find the list contacts by first name last name option on your android phone, which does exist and did with your nexus device.

Your understanding how how groups works on android/google platforms (contact separation is better on BB, please... use other technology properly and then make the same argument).

Your comment that "BlackBerry is heads and shoulders above anything" made me laugh so hard wee nearly came out, the i read "superior OS technology" and oh yes I messed myself.

Possibly your motivation for the post was that you needed to vent after your "heavy handed put down" last Friday, but that's one side to the story isnt it, maybe they would say your blinkered arguments didn't hold muster (who can say)...

PS.. i actually gave you a downvote because of your statements

1. Afflicted.John

And AC, you clearly are a doofus. All Jes.E stated is how they find the phone but are are right, in a very short space of time they became an evangelist. And what is wrong with that? I went from running an Android review and tech blog, being an extremely pro Android fan to devout BB user (thanks to Phones4u sending me a review Z10). I have had a somewhat protracted "hallelujah" moment and find the concept of going back to Android or jumping to iOS/WP anathema.

The BB contact architecture is good. Try it and then complain but there is nothing wrong with someone "not getting" a platform. Blackberry surprisingly works for a lot of people, but the stigma that oiks like you seem to perpetuate stops many from giving the latest BB10 devices a go. I might say that said people need to grow a pair but regardless, some people want to be cool like you.

I personally think all the gasps of horror at my Passport are pretty fun...

2. Hans 1

@coward

Clearly, you have not tried one, and comment := downvote

2. fruitoftheloon
        Pint

Re: Dear Anonymous..

Jes.e,

I have a Note II which I am well chuffed with, the missus has a Red Q5 which she is similarly pleased with.

When the contract conks out on my Note II I will most definitely be checking out a BB Passport.

Have one on me.

Cheers,

j

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too late

They shot themselves in the foot years and years ago when they refused to release a mail/calendar client on other platforms because they wanted to protect their hardware. Blackberry for email with BES was literally a decade ahead of all of their competitors. Instead of leveraging that and perhaps cannibalizing handset sales, they managed to kill BES in it's entirety.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Too late

Could'nt agree more, BES was their own worst enemy, they either had to focus on BES or phone sales and tried to have both...

7. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Agreed

I have to agree with BB, with the market share and resources BB has, using a "shotgun" approach like Samsung does doesn't make a lot of sense, compared to focusing on a relatively small number of well-designed phones.

8. Christian Berger

They have lost their advantages

Blackberries used to be pretty much e-mail reading devices. They were so unique in that regard that people even put up with their backend server reading all their mail.

Today not only even the cheapest android mobile can do e-mail acceptably well, it also doen't need such a backend server as it can work reasonably well with IMAP.

What Blackberry should have done would be to open up their devices as "mobile terminals" which can talk to any pre-defined server, either from Blackberry or something you could simply develop in house. That way they could provide some actual security.

Trying to build a device that's not in the crowded end of the market is a good strategy, but for that to work you have to provide some actual advantages.

1. Afflicted.John

Re: They have lost their advantages

What backend server are you talking about? BB10 doesn't need any back end server? How can so many people comment about something they know nothing about?

And you think an in-house development platform for anyone to use is somehow SECURE? Google BES10/12 and then come back as your information is at least 2 years out of date....

2. Hans 1
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: They have lost their advantages

>android mobile can do e-mail acceptably well

25 messages? lmao

I know, I know, you scroll down to get the next lot ... close app, re-open app and need to repeat ... this is brain-dead, no ifs, buts or maybe's ... then you have the 3rdparty apps that do it properly, but fail at doing starttls reliably.

The other day in a car on the country side, the wife with her xperia M (I know, crap), wanted to get hold of an email, probably 30 emails down ... she had read it the same morning and wanted to check the address again ... no network, no luck. My z30 had network, not very good coverage, but still, managed to get onto her webmail to retrieve the address.

Android is the toy platform, iOS is the music/movie platform, BB10 is for serious business ...

New keyboard, please.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like