back to article Twitter turns to women's group to sort out its cyberbullying issues

The recent Gamergate kerfuffle is just the latest example of how Twitter has failed to control the worst elements of its user base. Now, rather than dealing with the problem of gender-based bullying itself, Twitter has partnered with the group Women, Action, & Media group (WAM!) to take care of it. "We’re thrilled to be …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this M.A.D.D.? So, Twatter then?

If this WAM! is anything like M.A.D.D., everything will be in good faith, then turn sideways as all hell.

Clearly I don't know DAMN about WAM!, so I'm hoping they have their shit together, really am. Of course, this could be the same as hoping twitter turns out rainbows and unicorns on all tweets. But then again, cyberbullying is so harmful like real life bullying right (or do I not notice, because I just don't read it)?

First-World problems, some dream of them.

Oh, if I say fuck you, and you say fuck off, who's bullying who? Or better question, who gets censored?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is this M.A.D.D.? So, Twatter then?

...and if you think I told you to f off because you're a girl is that worse than if you think I did it because you're tall, short, fat, thin, black, white, wear glasses, come from Liverpool, are disabled, on benefits, vote tory, I was in a bad mood, I always talk like that etc. etc.

Surly abuse is abuse and is either tolerated or not.

2. Cari
    Meh

Oh good, so there'll actually be someone there to act quickly when the #GG Harassment Patrol are reporting doxers and reporting people making threats? Some third party troll accounts that posted personal info were left up for over a day at least.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Craigness

Re: "men's rights" pantywaists

I could spend all day reporting feminists for gender-based harassment, abuse and misandry but I doubt Twiter would do anything about it, and putting a feminist group in between victims of feminist abuse and the people who do the banning will just make it less likely that anything will be done. #endfathersday

When Facebook let feminists judge what freedom of speech should be allowed they banned a poster for a Men's Human Rights event and facts on sexual assault on university campuses (the facts belie the message they want to project).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "men's rights" pantywaists

@Craigness

I agree with everything besides the possibility of "less likely". I know what you mean, and specifically you may or may not be right, but I'm well known to be paranoid. What I really worry about is the censorship in general. Mechanisms just like what Twitter is proposing *could* be foundation work for censorship web wide.

My paranoia is EXTREMELY high, so high I'm wrong often. However :-), when you consider the timing of recent censor mechanics across the web, like up/down votes hiding peoples words/posts (e.g. Reddit/YouTube), net neutrality on the fringe of "Lord, what should we do!", Twitter and FaceB0rk welcoming censorship (albeit in supposed good faith), China outright demanding censorship nationwide...it all worries me a bit. In time, will government agencies step in and propose regulations not similar, but exactly like what the FCC of the U.S.A. has done to their country's network television stations?

Obviously the web is different than television. Most of us know a 2 year old toddler is far less likely to read a cyberbullying message on Twitter than to hear/see profane things coming from televisions, but that's just most of us. Recently it seems most of us is the minority to the rest of us (if that makes sense).

4. jake Silver badge

The real problem is ...

... that school-boys are bullies. Like it or not, it's been that way since before time immemorial. Seems it's genetic ... teenage boys are assholes by their very nature, ESPECIALLY when they can comment anonymously.

The only real solution? Ignore the idiots until they grow up a trifle and are worth listening to. Think of it as "out of sight, out of mind".

Honestly, it's only text. It can't hurt you ... unless you let it hurt you.

1. Graham Marsden
      Thumb Down

Re: The real problem is ...

Ah, so jake's solution is to "man up" and ignore the demeaning comments, rape threats, derogatory remarks about your appearance/ sexuality/ anything else.

The idea of actually *teaching* school-boys (and girls, because, believe or not, they can be just as vicious) that bullying is not acceptable behaviour and won't be tolerated doesn't seem to have occurred to him.

It also doesn't seem to have occurred to him that, if they are allowed get away with such behaviour in their youth they most likely *won't* "grow up a trifle" but will keep doing it when they get older and become abusive bosses and parents and then their children will learn that this is, apparently, acceptable behaviour and so the sad and sorry cycle continues...

1. Craigness

Re: The real problem is ...

Graham, the people doxxing, harassing and making death threats against the diverse range of activists trying to reform videogame journalism seem to have got away with it, and WAM wants to minimize the harassment men face on a daily basis, which is actually more prevalent than that faced by women. The only solution available for men and ethical journalism fans is to ignore the trolls. If it's good enough for us, why not expect women to act like adults too?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WAM! ?

So they call the WAM!-bulance?

(Oh, come on, someone had to say it!)

6. Donkey Molestor X

Funny how every time an article about online harassment drops we hear impassioned and repeated arguments that it isn't a real problem from the group least likely to be harassed.

If it's not happening specifically to ME it obviously isn't a problem, right? /s

1. jake Silver badge

@ Donkey Molestor(sic) X:

Online harassment is only a problem in the mind of the observer. If you don't like that particular bar in RealLife(tm), don't go to that particular bar. Why should shitholes like GooMyFaceYouTwit!, etc. be any different? Vote with your wallet. Walk away. They aren't really important.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Funny how it's always considered okay to behave in a prejudiced fashion against whites, males and very especially white males, but attempting to treat everyone as equal is somehow evil.

Where is the justice in telling me I must pay for the sins of other people's forefathers? Hmm? If you want me to judge you based on who you are, with no regard to skin colour, gender, etc...I demand that you also judge me with no regard to my skin colour, gender, etc.

What? That's a problem for you? Too hard? Get bent.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ban them all and then close it down

The only way to stop the current bully/victim thing is to ban all of them, the complainers and the complained about.

The only way to stop any future problems is to close it all down.

(the same fate should befall FB as well)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"BITCHES LEAVE" (Clarence Boddicker, ROBOCOP 1986)

He's got a point.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like